The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Almighty Minigun?

Cephalon_Elyksis

So... It has been bothering me a lot: We have some chainguns and some bullethoses, BUT NO TRUE GATTLING GUNS!
I mean those heavy guns which spin up over time and just rain devastation upon the enemy.
And im not talking about the soma or gorgon either, im talking about a REAL bullet rain, one with spread, a massive magazine and heavy damage. 

So, my idea was: lets create a concept. I give you,

Tyran, The Grineer Minigun.

Faction: Grineer.
Type: Primary.
Fire-type: Automatic Spin-up.

-Damage-
Puncture: 25
Impact: 30
Slash: 25
Total: 80 Damage per Bullet.

Crit Chance: 20%
Status Chance: 30%
Crit Multiplier: 3x? Maybe lower? I mean, its a Minigun so... And still, its a concept.

Max Ammo: 2400.
Magazine Capacity: 800.
Rounds per Second: 50.
Note that the minigun spins up over 4 seconds.

OR
Special mechanics, as DE likes them with primaries now.
Magazine and ammo pool are linked together, like on archwing.
However, the max pool is 3200, and the clip IS your max ammo.
This would allow for a slow spinup, but also reward you for taking that time.

So, i know the stats might look a bit overwhelming, but we really dont have anything heavy in this type that can deal heavy damage to groups except for grenade launchers and the soma, which bothers me again. We are an advanced futuristic space warrior race, and i think we are capable to create something that spits out lead like nothing before.
Next to that: Just imagine an explosive-rounds primary mod for this ;)

Let me know what you think about it! Maybe DE can create it for us!

Refferance, since some people still don't seem to see the difference between machine-guns and Gatling Guns.

minigun_by_nadussee.jpg

Krion112 Added some interresting ideas: Why have a magazine when we can drop the entire thing in at once. allowing you to spool through your magazine easily. Like in archwing, but without the reload without ammo pickups.
If you didnt get it, it has one big ammo pool instead of a reload time.

Edited by AsmundTheUndying

3 minutes ago, Hawk_of_the_Reborn said:

Potential powercreep?

Thats why i said its just a concept, downgrade the stats a bit, i mean, its cool, but needs tweaks ^^

2 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

We do have a gatling gun. It's called the Imperator. It's just too heavy to be practical for land missions.

I know the idea of the spaceguns but the idea is one for on the land! Not in space! Something that spins and rains lead in glorious devastating deadly loads of lead and death

3 minutes ago, AsmundTheUndying said:

I know the idea of the spaceguns but the idea is one for on the land! Not in space! Something that spins and rains lead in glorious devastating deadly loads of lead and death

The imperator could still be used on land. It is just extremely impractical even with a warframe's enhanced strength. I.e. lugging that thing around would not be ideal for a tactical operative.

Just now, Omega-Shadowblade said:

The imperator could still be used on land. It is just extremely impractical even with a warframe's enhanced strength. I.e. lugging that thing around would not be ideal for a tactical operative.

We all know nobody here is tactical or stealthy, so lets keep that out of here :P
No but seriously, the arcwing guns are cool, but im aiming more of a real-styled minigun here, one of those spinning bullet-cannons of death

1 minute ago, AsmundTheUndying said:

We all know nobody here is tactical or stealthy, so lets keep that out of here :P
No but seriously, the arcwing guns are cool, but im aiming more of a real-styled minigun here, one of those spinning bullet-cannons of death

Miniguns are also extremely heavy which means it slows you down. Miniguns are powerful weapons both IRL and in games hence they have a penalty. IRL they are so heavy they need to be mounted on something or someone of incredible strength. In games they have their movement speed decreases. Such a penalty doesn't really fit in this game, Hence why we don't have ground ones.

No miniguns?

Well, we don't have any weapons with a rotating barrel assembly, no, but there are lots of weapons that serve the role of a minigun, even if they lack the aesthetic.  On the Grineer side, we have the Gorgon and its variants - Prisma Gorgon, and Gorgon Wraith.  On the Corpus side, we have the Supra, which fires out of three barrels using a series of internal capacitors.  Tenno wield the Soma. and Soma Prime.  We also have a Grineer-made machine-shotgun that spools up similarly - the Kohm.

All of these are man-portable machineguns - the Gorgons, in particular, are big and bulky enough that they wouldn't look out-of-place on a weapon hardpoint instead of in the hands of a Tenno and the Supra is basically a laser-machinegun.

5 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Miniguns are also extremely heavy which means it slows you down. Miniguns are powerful weapons both IRL and in games hence they have a penalty. IRL they are so heavy they need to be mounted on something or someone of incredible strength. In games they have their movement speed decreases. Such a penalty doesn't really fit in this game, Hence why we don't have ground ones.

Well for everything there is a first time. Next to that, the tenno are augmented body-users, so yes the slowing will still be in effect, but thats a logical thing. And they dont NEED to be mounted, ive seen plenty picked-up-and-moving miniguns in real life on sooting galleries. So yeah ^^

Edited by AsmundTheUndying
I failed in the word mounted

Just now, Arkvold said:

No miniguns?

Well, we don't have any weapons with a rotating barrel assembly, no, but there are lots of weapons that serve the role of a minigun, even if they lack the aesthetic.  On the Grineer side, we have the Gorgon and its variants - Prisma Gorgon, and Gorgon Wraith.  On the Corpus side, we have the Supra, which fires out of three barrels using a series of internal capacitors.  Tenno wield the Soma. and Soma Prime.  We also have a Grineer-made machine-shotgun that spools up similarly - the Kohm.

All of these are man-portable machineguns - the Gorgons, in particular, are big and bulky enough that they wouldn't look out-of-place on a weapon hardpoint instead of in the hands of a Tenno and the Supra is basically a laser-machinegun.

As i already said, the gorgons are indeed part of it, and the soma too, but they would be qualified as Chainguns, as the internal belt is drained instead of a drum or spinning barrel set outputting the raining hell. ((I know its a very specific difference but it exists)
That and think of the chances Miniguns can get, maybe even as an air-support item

Just now, AsmundTheUndying said:

Well for everything there is a first time. Next to that, the tenno are augmented body-users, so yes the slowing will still be in effect, but thats a logical thing. And they dont NEED to be mounter, ive seen plenty picked-up-and-moving miniguns in real life on sooting galleries. So yeah ^^

I didn't say all were mounted. That being said, you actually lift the thing? (if so I will be jealous for the experience)

The problem is, that movement slowing thing isn't complementary to the game's idea of mobility. 

1 minute ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

I didn't say all were mounted. That being said, you actually lift the thing? (if so I will be jealous for the experience)

The problem is, that movement slowing thing isn't complementary to the game's idea of mobility. 

Oh trust me i can make you jealous then alright! But yes, i have experienced it true, but the slowdown in mobility i can understand, is a bit of a hinter, but using chainguns and belt-guns in general slows you down, just like drawing bows, so i dont see it hurts there ^^

(Sidenote: yes ive used one, it feels extremely powerfull.)

1 minute ago, AsmundTheUndying said:

Oh trust me i can make you jealous then alright! But yes, i have experienced it true, but the slowdown in mobility i can understand, is a bit of a hinter, but using chainguns and belt-guns in general slows you down, just like drawing bows, so i dont see it hurts there ^^

(Sidenote: yes ive used one, it feels extremely powerfull.)

Alright I'll try to explain where I'm getting at. In warframe, one of the key features is its mobility system. This affects everything from parkour and movment speed, to dodging enemy fire. Something that affects that mobility needs to be taken into consideration. Something that hinders movement speed can have an extreme effect on how it actually performs (A good example is the hobbled key in non derelict gameplay). I'm sure the idea of a minigun has actually come up before, but the implications of it lead to the idea being rejected.

26 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

We do have a gatling gun. It's called the Imperator. It's just too heavy to be practical for land missions.

Lies... the Imperator is about the same size as the barely man-portable modified versions of the M-134 Minigun, and a Tenno warrior is hella stronger than Arnie himself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minigun

The only real issue with the Imperator, or any other Archwing primary, is the bulk... those cannons aren't small by any stretch.

Edited by NinjaKitsune56

Actually, I can go for it, and I can justify it through game-design:

Grineer are the Offense Faction; all of their weapons and units reflect aggressiveness and reward playing on the attack.

A Minigun is an extremely fast firing ballistic weapon which does not necessarily require spooling, but for the sake of balance we could make it spool.

The unique mechanic: this weapon would have no reload, and would use ammunition straight from its ammo pool. The fact it doesn't have to break to reload encourages aggressive play, as you could just keep pushing forward, being limited only by possibly a poor ammo economy and low accuracy. This carries out the Grineer role of Offense. As well, we can easily say that Tenno don't need to slow down to use it; we'd be trying to justify a mechanic by real-life standards, but we are of course talking video games. Did Doomguy need to slow down to fire his Minigun? No; he's a video game character, and the mechanics didn't necessitate him slowing down.

Plus, the scale of a Minigun doesn't need to exceed existing scales, so overall, our realistic expectations for a minigun are actually no reason not to actually have one, as game-mechanics do not have to be justified by real-life logic; they only have to be justified by game-design, which I just did.

Also, if such a weapon were added, to offset the difference between this and the Gorgon, I would say that the spool of the Gorgon should affect its damage and not its rate of fire. Sort of a 'heat up' mechanic. Likewise, I would make it so the Supra, to also help distinguish it, would spool up faster for aiming down sights while firing.

Edited by Krion112

20 minutes ago, AsmundTheUndying said:

I hope that "nobody here is tactical or stealthy" didn't include me...

6 minutes ago, NinjaKitsune56 said:

Lies... the Imperator is about the same size as the barely man-portable modified versions of the M-134 Minigun, and a Tenno warrior is hella stronger than Arnie himself.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minigun

The only real issue with the Imperator, or any other Archwing primary, is the bulk... those cannons aren't small by any stretch.

Weight is different than size. Materials matter, and density is a thing if you want to get all technical.

2 minutes ago, Omega-Shadowblade said:

Original or modern doom? He does actually slow down using it in the modern one.

Original Doom; Modern Doom is still a great game, though, just for the sake of argument. It's just the game-design for the Original doom didn't necessitate the Minigun to be defensive, but the modern one did. It wasn't a matter of theme or realistic expectation. I mean, they needed a fast firing weapon, and they probably thought the fastest firing, most futuristic looking weapon to fit the theme of the game would be a minigun, so they used it to demonstrate to the player what the weapon was.

Edited by Krion112