The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Void trace farming isn't fun...

SaucyTuckermax

While I won't get into this topic of relic system completely, I will get into the process of relic refinement and In my opinion it isn't fun. Yes, you can run different mission types to get void traces, but overall how you get void traces currently isn't fun in my opinion. I personally would love it if there was a way to get more then 30 void traces per run (yes i know about the smeeta trick, that ability RARELY triggers for me) maybe make some kind of endless mission where you can get a lot of void traces? Also can we please make the amount of void traces you get per mission not based on RNG?? I understand that it should take time to get them to refine a relic, but the way it currently is, it's just really bad. I would rather be able to do a defense/ survival / excavation mission and be able to play it for an hour and get a few hundred traces rather then doing different missions for an hour to get them. Lastly when other players choose your reward instead of their own, it doesn't compensate you with nearly enough traces in my opinion. It should give you like 10 extra traces per person. any thoughts?

Edited by SaucyTuckermax
spelled

Just now, ScorpioneITA said:

Farming something is fun? If you think farming Void Traces isn't fun, perhaps go farm less than 2% drop rate mods.

Farming prime items that can be traded for a money value such as plat. Shouldn't be fun.

Yes I have fun when I'm farming something. I will say mods are the worst to farm, but in general farming in my opinion is usually fun. Before the fusion core change would run heiracon and see how long we could stay for and how many cores we could get in the process. I really don't mind farming for anything most of the time, But I do agree if your farming a specific mod it can be tiresome. But I think I have a pretty fatty mod collection, it's been a while before I had to farm for a mod I didn't have and wanted to have.

yep. when farming traces you want the easiest, quickest method to do that.  right now a capture mission is the best.  at an average of 18 traces a  mission it takes 5-6 missions to get enough traces without boosters.  no one wants to spend 6-8 minutes doing a mobile defense to get 6 traces

earlier today there were 3 lith fissures all spy missions.  the next best was a meso exterminate

4 minutes ago, SaucyTuckermax said:

While I won't get into this topic of relic system completely, I will get into the process of relic refinement and In my opinion it isn't fun. Yes, you can run different mission types to get void traces, but overall how you get void traces currently isn't fun in my opinion. I personally would love it if there was a way to get more then 30 void traces per run (yes i know about the smeeta trick, that ability RARELY triggers for me) maybe make some kind of endless mission where you can get a lot of void traces? Also can we please make the amount of void traces you get per mission not based on RNG?? I understand that it should take time to get them to refine a relic, but the way it currently is, it's just really bad. I would rather be able to do a defense/ survival / excavation mission and be able to play it for an hour and get a few hundred traces rather then doing different missions for an hour to get them. Lastly when other players choose your reward instead of their own, it doesn't compensate you with nearly enough traces in my opinion. It should give you like 10 extra traces per person. any thoughts?

Hold on.

First you say it "it's not fun" then you specify that the problem is not the mechanic of getting them, which would make sense, but the fact "you don't get enough, in one run" and would be fine in spending an hour+ doing something mindlessly repetitive ... as long as you got more traces?

"a (ONE) def/sur/exc mission and be able to play it for an hour and get a few hundred traces rather then doing different missions for an hour to get them"

Hmmm? No?

I'd personally want "multiple missions" over a period of time, then ONE mission for an hour for the SAME amount of traces. Please explain why I'd want to be stuck in ONE mission for a long time and put the chance of a disconnection or people leaving or <insert act of god here> and make me lose a whole hour work exactly?

DE already knows that if you can farm a Defense map for 10 minutes you can farm it for an hour, unless that mission starts at stupid numbers to start with, that is why the days of Endless are running out and shorter missions that START difficult and RUN difficult and are SHORTER will replace them.

2 minutes ago, ScorpioneITA said:

Yeah but void traces aren't that bad. Especially since smeeta buff and resource booster work for them. you can get minimum 12in a run 24 if smeeta buff. and thats the absolute case scenario. I'm often getting 50-80traces per run

Like I said in my original post, for some reason smeeta buff rarely triggers while I'm doing trace farming. I think I've literally had it happen like 2 times at the perfect time to get the double bonus. I've heard some people just stand around by the last reactant until it triggers. which to me sounds not fun and like it might take a while.

3 minutes ago, DSpite said:

-snip-

Well ya the whole process of getting them isn't fun, and the amount you get per mission isn't fun most of the time. I agree that endless missions can be mindless but I would rather have the option to sit in the same mission for an hour then run a capture mission 25 times in a row for 1 hour, that get's just as mindless in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, SaucyTuckermax said:

Like I said in my original post, for some reason smeeta buff rarely triggers while I'm doing trace farming. I think I've literally had it happen like 2 times at the perfect time to get the double bonus. I've heard some people just stand around by the last reactant until it triggers. which to me sounds not fun and like it might take a while.

Here's what I do. I do cap solo. I pewpewpew to end. stay 9/10 if no buff. i get 10th and end. repeat. When you are farming you look at time efficiency. Farming VT you should definitely have a resource booster. Just selling 2-6rares gives you 200plat. It also halves your time spent farming. Kavat is a bonus, if it happens it good. If it doesn't too bad. Kavat has a like a 4.18% chance to give you the buff you are seeking I recall. (hence 28% is roll chance then divided by total buff possibilities)[and ofcourse we dont know if the % chance of all buffs are even].

If you were talking about the drop bug which is determined by mission node + relic combination. That's different. The actual mechanic of them could be better, but could be worse.

Honestly, the game is becoming more Syndicate-centric, and here is a solution that I think many would get behind:

Allow us to purchase Void traces from Syndicates at 500 rep per trace.

It won't affect competitive balance or f2p economy, but it gives players the freedom to spend a resource that you can farm passively (syndicate sigils) in an additional way.  You still use it up, but can invest them in whatever high-value relics you have at the time...a nice alternative to making 4 fissure runs using the "20K...pray and pay" method of syndicate gambling for relics.  I'll make a quick-reaction thread.

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73

1. Void traces you are rewarded should be consistent. 

2. There's just nothing to do with them other than using them for the obvious or making dragon keys? Nothing else to do with them between prime farming.

3. It leads to a sort of grind and grind situation. Grind for the keys. Use up all your traces or didn't farm them beforehand? Time to grind again. Some sort of endless super tough mission to grind traces would at least help you gather more instead of the random 7, 9, 27, 30, 7, 9, traces I get when farming them. 

On 9/11/2016 at 0:40 AM, ScorpioneITA said:

Yeah but void traces aren't that bad. Especially since smeeta buff and resource booster work for them. you can get minimum 12in a run 24 if smeeta buff. and thats the absolute case scenario. I'm often getting 50-80traces per run

never got more than 27 trace in a run yet. i have mostly every thing form farming. I just feel too much angry when farming for trace.

Why endless?

Because you can get group of buddies together and go chill for a while in ONE session. No bazillion clicks all over crappy interface, failed after failed session, stupid mission type availability, etc. Even if you have no buddies you have reasonable chance of ending up in a good enough group. Maybe even funny group. And then you have fun! Imagine that!! In a video game!!!

Mobs aren't easy to the point of absolute and utter boredom, you don't have to deal with new players navigating maps (this isn't a jab at them, we all were lost at some point ... hell, weird OD layout still gets me confused), after a while you need to start paying attention, using frame synergies, aim, dodge, take cover  ... you know, stuff that actually makes us space ninjas. And last but certainly not least, you hopefully get away with decent haul.

Now before you jump in and start telling me how I can still do all that ... I know. Except that very last part. And right there third dream ends. I could either have fun or ducats/traces but not both.

On 9/10/2016 at 9:05 AM, ScorpioneITA said:

Farming prime items that can be traded for a money value such as plat. Shouldn't be fun.

Actually it should. The core gameplay of a game should be fun. It shouldn't feel like work. You used farming rare mods as an example, but I find farming mods to be pretty fun because most of the time I can blast through a mission killing everything at my leisure. Void trace farming isn't fun because it gets shoehorned in between relic runs because upgrading a relic is the only way to even have a chance of getting anything decent out of them, most of the time I'm lucky to get more than ten a run and void fissures just aren't that interesting if you're not using a relic.

On 9/10/2016 at 3:05 PM, ScorpioneITA said:

Farming something is fun? If you think farming Void Traces isn't fun, perhaps go farm less than 2% drop rate mods.

Ridiculous. This is a video game. Nothing in this game should fail to be fun. Farming certain things, especially rare mods, can get very repetitive, but it's still possible to have fun while doing it, unless you're just a boring person. And the idea that a part of this video game shouldn't be fun is absurd. 

People often talk about "lazy" players, or "working hard." News flash: if you're playing a video game instead of working/cleaning/reading/being productive, then you aren't "working hard," you're being lazy. That's okay, as human beings we are allowed to be lazy when it's appropriate. But you should never mistake playing for working, and you should never play a game you don't enjoy.  

If someone thinks part of the game is boring, he's right to complain. Putting traces in the more engaging endless missions would be a good step.