Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

*REAL* Scythes

(PSN)LordSnoz007

When I picked up Warframe back during the premier of Valkyr and Ember Prime, update 11 I think? Anyways I had gone in blind, I had no Idea what anything was and actually learned how to play through trial and error. I knew nothing of the massive online presence and community that the game possessed. Not to mention I had grade A S#&$ternet and had to solo-dolo all missions for the first two months or so I was playing. Regardless I'm still an avid player of the game and love every aspect... give or take. But one thing that I have wanted from the beginning was a scythe, and not the glorified pick-axes that are in the game currently (No offense DE they look cool just not what I was looking for). When I think of a scythe my mind travels over to something Like the Harvester from Darksiders 2(Nekros take notes, this is what death looks like.), or Ninja Gaiden with its Eclipse scythe. Anyways my point is that I would love to see more scythes that adopt the elongated dual handed stature. You could even consider them heavy weapons and use tempo royal, but give them a higher swing speed than the likes of Galatine and  war. Maybe even go for a Channeling based weapon class, disintegration would go well with the scythes. Honestly that would just be for easy implementation and to avoid adding more singular stance mods that people have to farm for. 

But that just about sums it up. I would love to see large executioner scythes implemented into Warframe. Thoughts? Hate? Comments?

6ueJzeB.jpg?1images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTyKJD4MvI5BYvsssWLR11

I'd be ok if they just refocused scythes. Right now they kind of just exist. That look cool but they aren't great. They aren't bad but they aren't really late game viable. Even if they don't add new ones in the style you suggest (which would be sweet) I'd be happy if they took the dnd route and went with lower damage but crazy critical stats. Like sac damage for base red crit chance (after true steel) or give them high crit mults with current crit percent. That would make them stand out as a weapon class rather than them just being meh

Edited by Caobie

everything u posted there is far far from a scythe

per definition a scythe is a tool to cut long grass or grains and not a weapon
farmers abused them as a weapon because they look scary and are quite sharp but the shape doesn't allow a practical use as a weapon since the tool gets stuck with the first swing
in case your still thinking "i want a scythe" this is what a scythe looks like
57365.ha.75.png
oh and apart from that we have "scythes" in game and in my opinion even these few are way to much

talking about swing speed NO its slow have you ever seen a scythe? its not a fast tool at all swinging it fast would tire you very quickly since you have to stop all that momentum and bring it back for another swing just NO

in case you still want a scythe watch this

5 minutes ago, Weidro said:

-snip-

What are they if they aren't scythes? Truly I would like to classify them better because I do recognize that a scythe is the farm tool but I have no other word in my vocabulary to identify them (in a way others would understand). I mean ether reaper is a glorified axe but still. 

Also this is fantasy. Science fantasy more exactly (I think that fits better than sci fi) so I think we can get away with these kinds of things. Space ninjas n all that.

3 minutes ago, Weidro said:

talking about swing speed NO its slow have you ever seen a scythe? its not a fast tool at all swinging it fast would tire you very quickly since you have to stop all that momentum and bring it back for another swing just NO

but then again, we can swing stuff like the galatine and scindo faster than the speed of light.

The scythes we have now are pretty much fine ignoring the short handle. I would prefer something that has a length similar to the polearms or staves, but it doesnt really matter. The length fits the stances

36 minutes ago, (PS4)LordSnoz007 said:

You could even consider them heavy weapons and use tempo royal, but give them a higher swing speed than the likes of Galatine and  war

With the shape of the scythes, heavy blade stances wouldnt work too well on them. Scythes are kinda like halberds so something more like polearm stances instead.

We are warriors, not farmers. Scythes are tools of farmers and sometimes reforged to makeshift weapons for uprisings or lynch mobs. No warrior in his right mind would pick up one of these unwieldy things if he has any other choice. Especially those anime-sized things, that look like blunt weapons with a blade in a weird spot that wont ever connect with an enemy...

I get that there are fanboys out there for weapons of this style, but this:

1 hour ago, (PS4)LordSnoz007 said:

6ueJzeB.jpg?1

Is unwieldy and huge, way too much so for Warframe in my opinion.

The scythes we already have are more like poleaxes and halberds with too short handles, but at least they look fine and fitting to our universe.

1 hour ago, Caobie said:

What are they if they aren't scythes? Truly I would like to classify them better because I do recognize that a scythe is the farm tool but I have no other word in my vocabulary to identify them (in a way others would understand). I mean ether reaper is a glorified axe but still.

Also this is fantasy. Science fantasy more exactly (I think that fits better than sci fi) so I think we can get away with these kinds of things. Space ninjas n all that.

Well we can still call them scythes as we identify it by the blade (such as with the war scythe). However it's a scythe that fits with the Warframe universe which means it's not agricultural equipment, a forged war scythe, a (ridiculous) anime scythe, or from a completely different stylized game. It's still a scythe by the type of blade but built for Warframe and it's style/purposes.

9 hours ago, peggisan said:

With the shape of the scythes, heavy blade stances wouldnt work too well on them. Scythes are kinda like halberds so something more like polearm stances instead.

I was just thinking of a way to implement the weapon into the game without new stance mods being created. As for the pole arm stances, I do love the Tipedo and all the wheeling you can do with clashing forest makes for a neat stance. I was just hoping to avoid any awkward stabbing motions where the blunt end of the scythe would be used. Kind of like the Scindo ground finisher, just doesn't seem like it would do much.

As for the people that are talking about the useless application of a farming tool as a weapon well I'll have you know I was perfectly aware of a scythes original purpose for cutting wheat and other grains. Nobody *@##$es about the Kamas which are basically just sickles, a tool that if i remember correctly serves a very similar purpose as a scythe. As for the weapons not fitting Warframes demographic, I'd say that would be up to the Dev's to decide. Sorry for the salt.

But just to provide a solution to some, the "pole arm", scythe variety could have a pivoting blade similar to the the already in game  Anku. But instead of folding out just to typical farming tool position. It would go out all the wat when swung, giving an appearance similar to the Tonbo. But when it is held normally with no inertia it would sit comfortably at 90% or what have you. Looking like a scythe.

12 hours ago, Weidro said:

farmers abused them as a weapon because they look scary and are quite sharp but the shape doesn't allow a practical use as a weapon since the tool gets stuck with the first swing
57365.ha.75.png
oh and apart from that we have "scythes" in game and in my opinion even these few are way to much

I personally don't find the stances for Sword&Board / Sword&Shield to be practical and realistic at all ("Oh hey, a boomerang sword throw with Eleventh Storm! A boomerang shield throw with Final Harbinger, SWEET."). Then there's the case with Glaives (besides the Kestrel) and Bladewhips behaving the way they do in combat. So arguing for the sake of "realism" when it comes to Scythes is sort of a moot point. 

I wholly support our wild imaginations in advocating and imagining Scythes to be bigger, better, and more Bad***...er. 

Edited by (PS4)Lei-Lei_23

12 hours ago, Weidro said:

57365.ha.75.png

Wrong scythe.  And you don't get good with a difficult weapon like a scythe in a matter of days.  You take a few MONTHS to get decent, then you take a few YEARS to master them.  You don't stop your momentum, you redirect it, meaning you twist and spin.  Trust me, I train with scythes.  Less practical, yes.  Horrible weapon? No.  Plus, war scythes are not like farming scythes.  they're straighter, and typically only have one or none handle.

56 minutes ago, (PS4)Lei-Lei_23 said:

I personally don't find the stances for Sword&Board / Sword&Shield to be practical and realistic at all ("Oh hey, a boomerang sword throw with Eleventh Storm! A boomerang shield throw with Final Harbinger, SWEET."). Then there's the case with Glaives (besides the Kestrel) and Bladewhips behaving the way they do in combat. So arguing for the sake of "realism" when it comes to Scythes is sort of a moot point. 

Space ninja magic is capable of redirecting projectiles. Basically, all Warframes can be assumed to have a limited semi-passive version of Ivara's Navigator.

Unless you're attempting to impale an enemy with the pointy end of the scythe by swinging it as if it were an axe (the Kaszas's design even looks like an axe with a long head), I can't imagine a full-sized scythe being particularly useful in combat.

The smaller sickle weapons are more believable because a light one-handed sickle can be manipulated in the hand far more easily than a larger two-handed scythe making its odd blade angle less of an issue in combat. Not to mention the fact that they are actually used in martial arts.

If we start using actual war scythes then they'd be more in line with a polearm. A war scythe is a specialized spear / halberd. Warframe doesn't distinguish between an axe and a sword they just call it a "heavy blade". Similarly scythes would go into the polearm category. Our current scythes are more like kamas and hence the dual kamas.

15 minutes ago, Inarticulate said:

The smaller sickle weapons are more believable because a light one-handed sickle can be manipulated in the hand far more easily than a larger two-handed scythe making its odd blade angle less of an issue in combat. Not to mention the fact that they are actually used in martial arts.

Still waiting for a Kusarigama in Warframe, but instead we have the Blade&Whip. :/

IMHO, the current 'scythes' really are not scythes at all, with the Ether Reaper looking more like an axe itself.

The Anku, Hate and Reaper Prime feel more like a stylized Bardiche when then were fashioned into Tenno weapons.

Spoiler

MXdIVdG.jpg

And since the Anku is mostly puncture one thing would be to swap the damage or give it a spike.

Good to see people are openly discussing the topic. The weapon itself would be a fun addition to the game regardless of the realism and practicality. Honestly I just would like to make like the grim reaper and harvest the souls of my enemys within Warframe. Give Nekros a weapon that compliments his silhouette (Sorry Galatine).  

15 hours ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

The Anku, Hate and Reaper Prime feel more like a stylized Bardiche when then were fashioned into Tenno weapons.

The bardiche is an axe. Its cutting edge is parallel to the haft.

The Anku's, Hate's, and Reaper Prime's cutting edges are all perpendicular to their handles. Note that the Anku opens up into a proper scythe shape when it is unsheathed.

On 12.9.2016 at 8:48 AM, Caobie said:

What are they if they aren't scythes?

they are fantasy toys

no offense but when u look at all weapons in warframe u might recognize they are mostly thin and filigree and follow a certain style
but there is nothing bulky and edgy with a tip heavy unpractical design
given that you have enough muscle power you could use (nearly) all warframe melee weapons in real life (swing speed and some tricks of stances might be wrong but whatever)
even the god dam galatine has a quite thin blade and yes even war has a thin blade just with some energy around it

even with all the space magic and some weird void stuff warframe keeps a certain degree of realism in the game especially when it comes to proportions
and I'm one of the persons that likes to keep it that way
if you really prefer a ridiculous unrealistic and unpractical fantasy themed style you should try one of these weeaboo mmojrpgs like final fantasy or whatever

its like suggesting to use bricks instead of apples for an apple pie

keep that stuff our of warframe it doesn't fit the style of the game at all
or come up with an idea/design that fits the game

1 hour ago, Weidro said:

-snip-

im gonna start off by saying that if you must start something mildly insulting with 'no offense' you should consider rewording it or not saying it at all. now dont get me wrong im not saying you need to go ott with non-offensive nonsense but there is a distinct....anger?(maybe not the right word) to what you said.

while i agree DE should maintain a certain level of realism in warframe there is also plenty of room for some fantasy elements and 'power trip' stuff as long as its not overkill and i think some scythes would not be that bad in the scheme of things they could add. a good example of something thats totally unrealistic that adds to the game is the knockback from shotgun kills. its especially pronounced on tigris prime i find. when i kill an enemy with it it sends them flying off their feet as though they had been hit by a truck and they carry till they hit a wall. i think im rambling....its 2 am and i am tired...