Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Boar Prime is just mastery fodder?

(PSN)ghinellil

Question

Boar Prime is pretty good if you mod it accordingly.

Sobek and Hek can be built to deal damage, however Boar Prime is better modded as a status weapon.

If you did mod it for status, well, I guess status weapons isn't your cup of tea. But for me Boar Prime is far from mastery fodder.

Boar Prime is still a great weapon, it can easily be modded for 100% status chance and that does some crazy things with shotguns and their multiple pellets.

Always getting multiple procs on an enemy because of multiple 100% hits will turn your Boar Prime into a really good debuff sprayer, just pick your favorite elements and have at it!

You don't need a lot of damage when you can strip all of a target's armor and knock them down in a single shot, or radiate them and reduce their health maximum to less than half of what it was a second ago. Most shots will even proc impact, staggering them and keeping them off balance; just get in there and get friendly with those Bombards!

Other higher-tier shotguns are available, such as sancti tigris, tigris prime, vaykor hek, etc.  These are good single target close range weapons for enemies of any level.  The boar prime is better for crowds and is also better for certain playstyles than other guns.  For example, try using it with saryn to strip armor off of enemies and spread spores around.  Also, hoards of Infested don't stand a chance against it. 

49 minutes ago, OverlordMcGeek said:

Sobek is my love. It has a bigger everything but fire rate and status chance.

Acid Sobek is my current favorite room-sweeper, by kind of a long way.

As for Boar Prime, I have two status builds and one gimmicky fire rate build - 11.67 fire rate before Repeater Clip kicks in. It's no good at all for higher level content, but it makes the most glorious noise.

3 minutes ago, notlamprey said:

As for Boar Prime, I have two status builds and one gimmicky fire rate build - 11.67 fire rate before Repeater Clip kicks in. It's no good at all for higher level content, but it makes the most glorious noise.

Sobek was the first shotgun I properly used and its definitely one of my favs

34 minutes ago, notlamprey said:

Must. Try. Hnng.

1 hour ago, (PS4)ghinellil said:

Or i missing something?

I like shotguns, but i can't find a reason to keep it. I prefer the Hek, or Sobek, with syndicate mods.

Its a great weapon, is there better shotguns out there?  yeah but the boar is still good, funny if modded for blast.  Also you got to love the sound.  Worth a catalyst and some forma in my opinion

7 minutes ago, (PS4)mmcareen said:

Its a great weapon, is there better shotguns out there?  yeah but the boar is still good, funny if modded for blast.  Also you got to love the sound.  Worth a catalyst and some forma in my opinion

Yeah, I feel like I might have missed the point of this thread with my previous posts.

Boar Prime has a lot of fun possibilities, provided you know going in that it's not going to be a world-beater in terms of raw damage potential.

17 hours ago, (PS4)Agent_CHAR said:

Anything the Boar prime does well a different shotgun does better.

Not really.

Boar Prime gets the best mix of decent reload speed, status chance and pure damage out of all the status shotguns. Strun Wraith beats it in the damage department only when stacking firerate, and at that point the 3.44s fullymodded reload kicks in to get it back down, on top of ammo efficiency issues adn the fact that you're reloading twice as much as the Boar with his 2.8s base reload time and burning ammo just as fast without the space for an ammo mutation.

Sobek suffers madly from not being able to equip both Shattering Justice and Acid Shells at the same time when building for serious stuff - Acid Shells, while giving you a lot of splash damage, is really not a great mod when you compare it to the possibilityof full armour strip with 3-4 shots, that can equate ridiculous stuff like 20/50x your damage compared to when the enemy had armour even when using beneficial elements, etc. That on top of the fact that it has a 4s base reload speed, although it's true that it burns way less ammo and fires slower, leading to less frequent reloads and less need of a mutation.
It is true that for any kind of mid level content Sobek wins the crown as a room clearer, it's really impressive.

The only status shotgun that's really all in all superior to the Boar Prime, no questions asked, is the Tigris Prime.

Not bad, considering Boar has also been nerfed when shotgun 2.0 hit us and is years older :)

As far as straight damage goes, the Boar is not too bad topping off at 51k burst and 32k sustain with a crit build, that can benefit immensely from Arcane Avenger, Adarza or Smeeta Kavat to achieve positively ridiculous numbers (Adarza buff up makes the Boar do 83k burst).

Really, the Boar is an excellent shotgun for any situation. If you're willing to invest a couple of formas (5-6 depending on builds) it'll serve you extremely well. AND it's sexy as F***.

2 hours ago, (PS4)NASTYRIDE said:

Love Kohm... sooo much fun

I love the way that gun fires, sounds and handles, and i would use the S#&$ out of it if it didn't look so butt-ugly.

Really, i can't bear to look at it. It's one of my deepest regrets. I hopewe'll get a deluxe skin pack with a shotgun skin soon so as to be able to get it and go on a rampage.

Edited by Autongnosis
forgot to say how sexy it is

1 hour ago, Autongnosis said:

It is true that for any kind of mid level content Sobek wins the crown as a room clearer, it's really impressive.

The only status shotgun that's really all in all superior to the Boar Prime, no questions asked, is the Tigris Prime.

I really think that wall of text you wrote only supports what I said. The Boar does some things well.  For each one of those things be it damage or status procs, etc some other shotgun does that thing better.  You list the better options!

You knock the Strun Wraith too much though.  It is the king of status shotguns and I can't fathom how you have ammo problems with a semi-auto gun.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Agent_CHAR said:

I really think that wall of text you wrote only supports what I said. The Boar does some things well.  For each one of those things be it damage or status procs, etc some other shotgun does that thing better.  You list the better options!

You knock the Strun Wraith too much though.  It is the king of status shotguns and I can't fathom how you have ammo problems with a semi-auto gun.

Wat. The only better option i list is the Tigris Prime, all the others are worse xD

Sobek is a great room clearer for mid level content. Boar is better suited to extreme level content, due to having both slightly more damage and vastly better supplemental stats.

Strun Wraith does exactly what the Boar does, only with worse supplemental stats, and worse damage per second(albeit better damage per shot) unless you pump full the rate of fire, which leads to the supplemental stats getting even worse - half the mag size and almost double the reload time really hurt the weapon for sustained fire. If you start pumping up the Rof to get better atbursting, you'll be burning about as much ammo as the Boar and reloading twice as often for twice as long, while only gaining around 35% better damage/shot.

Tigris is the only one that's directly better than the Boar at extreme proc, but it suffers from the 2 shot syndrome and it's much slower at armour shredding than the Boar is, but compensates that by doing about 1.7x as much damage in a shot as the Boar does in a second.

Also, Sobek competes with Synoid Simulor and Ignis and Amprex, all of which blow it out of the water, while the Boar as a fast-fire armour shredding gun has really only the Tigris Prime and Strun Wraith as competitors, and it's better than both at doing that, losing only to the Tigris in sustained damage.

Do explain to me how this translates to "everything the Boar does, another shotgun does better"...

Edited by Autongnosis

3 hours ago, Autongnosis said:

Do explain to me how this translates to "everything the Boar does, another shotgun does better"...

If I want status the strun wraith is better.  100% status with three mods instead of four.  You want to disagree with this and that is fine.

If I want damage both the Hek (either version) and Tigris (sancti or prime) are better.  80% of the time I run a shotgun it is one of these.

If I want an ammo efficient auto shotgun that is a beast at mid levels then the Sobek is better.  You are deluding yourself if you think the boar prime is more end game capable than the sobek is.  Neither is.