Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Preferred Frost Builds

(PSN)abbacephas

Question

As of late, I've been running with Frost a great deal, and I've been enjoying his abilities kit. I'm curious as to the build most players either a) use or b) prefer to have on their team. I know one of the most common builds focuses on adding as much strength and armour as possible to increase the strength of snowglobe, but I have seen more than a few builds that are more focused on efficiency and range to spam other abilities (such as ice wave and avalanche) at the expense of snowglobe's strength. 

I'm curious how other players mod their Frosts (as I am now beginning to add more forma to mine).

Thanks.

10 answers to this question

34 minutes ago, (PS4)abbacephas said:

Thank you all for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

Would you mind terribly expanding a bit on the 4 builds? Thanks! :smile:

When it comes to Frost there's not quite an exact build because his CC range and Globe size are a constant factor depending on the faction you're fighting and the mission type.

These are some builds I use for different situations.

Frost General:

424ylld.jpg

A middle road setup. Not quite good or bad at anything. Ideal for low-mid level ranges where his armor makes a difference when taking damage and his Globe's base HP can hold up well against enemy damage.

Frost Hybrid Buff:

1fqfetg.jpg

Used for high level missions (lvl 300+). Damage buffs become more necessary as enemies scale in level. Normally Frost is only CC and Bunker, this setup adds buffer to his role. To help your team maximize kill rates. Often in a well designed group Frost serves as more backup CC.  Admittedly I've recently replaced this with Volt Shock Trooper since his reworked Shields now block AoE damage.

Frost CC spec1:

MXsB0dC.jpg

Max Range CC specialized. Ideal for Infested or situations where the globe is more useful as a slow. Also good for missions where kill rate is not a top priority.

Frost CC spec2:

CpaT7KG.jpg

Alternate Variant of his CC build with less range and more duration. Better for non-Infested or missions like Survival when you don't generally want to CC enemies 2 rooms away which can lower your kill rate.

Max Globe:

MQ2XQkm.jpg

As mentioned before this is mostly good for Excavation when you need to cover more than one point at a time. I used it with 3 Novas. The 3 Novas all hold a point in excavation, Frost throws up a globe or two then goes to the next or gathers power cells while the Novas defend. Outside of this very specific situation I would not recommend Blind Rage on Frost.

My frost prime has 2 forma. A dash in the aura for corrosive projection and a V:

Aura: Corrosive Projection

-Vitality

-Redirection/Steel Fiber(use either)

-Transient Fortitude

-(Primed)Continuity

-(Primed)Flow

-Rank 4 Streamline

-Rank 4 Fleeting Expertise

You can replace flow with intensify if you want. It'll buff your globe and give avalanche more damage. You can also use 1 of the augments which are really nice.

Edited by (PS4)joshw1400
He also comes with 2 D polarities.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)abbacephas said:

I have seen more than a few builds that are more focused on efficiency and range to spam other abilities (such as ice wave and avalanche) at the expense of snowglobe's strength. 

this is how i have mine set up, with globes aug and ice waves aug. there was a reddit post that i read and this guy did a bunch of tests and trials and found that an efficient globe build was better because you can cast globe like 5 times, each globe adding like 10k hp to the previous totaling 50k hp, or cast one globe and drain you energy pool for a globe with 40k hp. 

I personally run various builds. My favorite focuses on duration, efficency and range, with chilling glob installed. Enemies spend too much time frozen to pose a threat. It is unfortunatly difficult to build for strength and range without nerfing either efficiency or duration, and believe me I've tried. It's easy enough to compensate for strength by recasting globe every 3 seconds until you run out of energy. Then the stacked invul period adds to the health. Such a build is exceptionally useful for infested as you may guess, trivialising them almost as well as vauban. For grineer and corrupted I make use of a low duration, high strength and decent range build,

Frost could use a little bit of synergy between skills, but he is far from a one trick pony as it stands.

The reason why you'll find builds that don't focus on power strength is because you can recast Snow Globe under an existing one to combine their health. As long as you keep track of the health of your Snow Globe, you can keep it up indefinitely by simply recasting (or you can cast three or four at once and forget about it for a while).

That way, you can build range and duration for other abilities (as well as the freezing effect from Chilling Globe).

Edited by Inarticulate

The only time a high Power Strength build is good for Frost is when using his Freezing Force Augment or when doing an Excavation premade. In which Frost is required to Globe 2-3 Excavators at a time and gather power cells for the other 3 group members who are all soloing their own Extractors. As a result the Globe needs to stay up long enough for the excavator to finish and he might not be nearby to refresh it.

Otherwise a mix of Range and Duration work far better via his CC to slow and freeze enemies saving far more damage taken to the Globe than going Power Strength will do.

Frost has 4 Solid and Viable builds for different situations with some slight variation between each.

@Xzorn Thank you very much for the thorough response (and images). This is incredibly helpful. I just had one follow-up question: Is there a reason you use [Primed] Continuity. Looking at Frost's abilities, the only one that seems to be impacted by duration is Avalanche. However, in a number of videos there is talk that duration affects how long enemies are frozen. Is that the case? When using Chilling Globe, for example, will enemies be frozen longer than the 8 seconds that this augment provides if you use [Primed] Continuity?

Thank you again for your time and help.

6 minutes ago, (PS4)abbacephas said:

@Xzorn Thank you very much for the thorough response (and images). This is incredibly helpful. I just had one follow-up question: Is there a reason you use [Primed] Continuity. Looking at Frost's abilities, the only one that seems to be impacted by duration is Avalanche. However, in a number of videos there is talk that duration affects how long enemies are frozen. Is that the case? When using Chilling Globe, for example, will enemies be frozen longer than the 8 seconds that this augment provides if you use [Primed] Continuity?

Thank you again for your time and help.

Duration affects the Freeze Duration of his first and fourth ability, it also affects Icewave Impedance and Chilling Globe augments.