Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dedicated Conclave Servers

[DE]Drew

I've actually been trying that at home (Wine+Linux), but never had time to test it properly (would have to install another copy of WF and running out of space on my Linux partition ;)... But I got the Launcher to run to a certain point with the -headless -dedicated option (until running out of space). I've a hunch it might work.

On 12/7/2016 at 7:10 AM, maciejs said:

I've actually been trying that at home (Wine+Linux), but never had time to test it properly (would have to install another copy of WF and running out of space on my Linux partition ;)... But I got the Launcher to run to a certain point with the -headless -dedicated option (until running out of space). I've a hunch it might work.

I can confirm that it works in wine. I did a test run today and had a couple of connects so far but not a full match yet. I feel a bit more comfortable running it on windows for now as at least I know the players will have a good setup when they're connecting (Currently over 1000 matches hosted in 2 dedicated windows machines). Wine is fine for testing things but not sure how stable it is to run it as a dedicated setup. If anyone has some long term results please post it here.

HowTo for anyone that wants to try it as well:

Install ubuntu 16.04.1 - 32 bit:
http://mirror.pnl.gov/releases/releases/16.04.1/ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-i386.iso

Just plain default install works. Note that user will have to be replaced with whatever your local user is called. After that open a terminal and type the following commands to install wine:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds
$ sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-staging
$ sudo apt-get install cabextract

wget  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks
$ chmod u+x winetricks 
$ sudo cp winetricks /usr/bin/

Now you have to setup and configure the wine env:

$ sudo mkdir /games
$ sudo chown user:user /games/
$ mkdir /games/Warframe
$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/games/Warframe wineboot

This next step will install the needed packages

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/games/Warframe winetricks winxp d3dx9 d3dx10 xact hosts wininet winhttp corefonts fontfix msxml3 vcrun2010

If you wanna take the safe route install msxml3 and vcrun2010 as a separate step as last step. 
Now we can run the Warframe installer:

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/games/Warframe wine msiexec /i /home/user/Warframe.msi

At this point you can start the Launcher but for some reason it didn't allow me to uncheck the 64bit checkbox.

Mu1hFfWv.png

You can start regedit and change it directly in the registry. 

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/games/Warframe winetricks

Select run regedit

8W4bIHfu.png

Cw7hfTk1.png

make sure to change the value to 0 for Enable64Bit, EnableDirectX10, EnableDirectX11 and LauncherGPU to be on the safe side,

Now you can start Warframe through the apps folder or over the Desktop shortcut. The server seems to start fine, but the game itself was quite unstable for me and crashed on the loading screen.

KO49w6JY.png

Enjoy, hope this will be a help for people who wanna try it with wine.

On 2016-12-09 at 9:32 AM, p41nfr4m3 said:

I can confirm that it works in wine. I did a test run today and had a couple of connects so far but not a full match yet. I feel a bit more comfortable running it on windows for now as at least I know the players will have a good setup when they're connecting (Currently over 1000 matches hosted in 2 dedicated windows machines). Wine is fine for testing things but not sure how stable it is to run it as a dedicated setup. If anyone has some long term results please post it here.

-snip-

make sure to change the value to 0 for Enable64Bit, EnableDirectX10, EnableDirectX11 and LauncherGPU to be on the safe side,

Now you can start Warframe through the apps folder or over the Desktop shortcut. The server seems to start fine, but the game itself was quite unstable for me and crashed on the loading screen.

Well I want to try but as you said it did act strangely when you were trying to load onto the server, maybe something DE could look at, also is it possible to host multiple sessions that way without having to have multiple systems? The Current way I do it now is just have multiple virtual boxes and this does not work the most efficient as I would have liked.

11 hours ago, p41nfr4m3 said:

HowTo for anyone that wants to try it as well:

Install ubuntu 16.04.1 - 32 bit:
http://mirror.pnl.gov/releases/releases/16.04.1/ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-i386.iso

Just plain default install works. Note that user will have to be replaced with whatever your local user is called. After that open a terminal and type the following commands to install wine:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds
$ sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-staging
$ sudo apt-get install cabextract

wget  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks
$ chmod u+x winetricks 
$ sudo cp winetricks /usr/bin/

Now you have to setup and configure the wine env:

$ sudo mkdir /games
$ sudo chown user:user /games/
$ mkdir /games/Warframe
$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/games/Warframe wineboot

This next step will install the needed packages

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/games/Warframe winetricks winxp d3dx9 d3dx10 xact hosts wininet winhttp corefonts fontfix msxml3 vcrun2010

If you wanna take the safe route install msxml3 and vcrun2010 as a separate step as last step. 
Now we can run the Warframe installer:

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/games/Warframe wine msiexec /i /home/user/Warframe.msi

At this point you can start the Launcher but for some reason it didn't allow me to uncheck the 64bit checkbox.

Mu1hFfWv.png

You can start regedit and change it directly in the registry. 

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/games/Warframe winetricks

Select run regedit

8W4bIHfu.png

Cw7hfTk1.png

KO49w6JY.png

Whoah, thx for testing! Just a question about "game itself was quite unstable" bit. Was it a Windows game connecting to the Linux server or a was client running under Wine as well? Also, did you get a WAR number by any chance?

To elaborate on Linux+Wine+DS a little bit, we discussed it some more with p41nfr4m3. Crash was a result of trying to run a game _client_ (gfx app) under Wine, this is not supported right now. Host itself seems to work fine and his Linux+Wine setup has successfully hosted 17 complete games so far. Dedicated server requires very little platform-specific code (net sockets mostly), so I'd expect it to work fairly well under the emulator (CPU usage higher than running 'natively', though).

On 2016-12-10 at 6:01 AM, maciejs said:

To elaborate on Linux+Wine+DS a little bit, we discussed it some more with p41nfr4m3. Crash was a result of trying to run a game _client_ (gfx app) under Wine, this is not supported right now. Host itself seems to work fine and his Linux+Wine setup has successfully hosted 17 complete games so far. Dedicated server requires very little platform-specific code (net sockets mostly), so I'd expect it to work fairly well under the emulator (CPU usage higher than running 'natively', though).

Then the question arises when I want to host for instance multiple servers for Warframe as I am doing now, with these Virtual machines what is in my objectivity really inefficient.

Is it possible to host multiple server sessions aside from each other with the wine option because I host ATM 10 servers within 10 virtual machines, with the RC on/off and well they are running fine now.
I hope I don't have to install the game multiple times but if so I don't see this as the biggest issue because the virtual machines on their own already take up considerable space on my hard disk.

Latest Issue with hosting 10 windows boxes also was The usual windows update and my server HDD did not appreciate that and I had really high access times on the server(not effecting DD server performance).
As seen on the server list of hosted matches I went up really fast but this is just due to the amount of servers and amount of possible game-modes hosted.

45 minutes ago, spiedie said:

How do you turn RC on or off for the servers? I'm assuming there's some DS.cfg option?

And multiple servers on single system would indeed be a really needed feature. So much resources wasted on VMs.

Change eloRating=2 to eloRating=0 it only allows RC matches then, thing is IDK what happens when you set it to 1 what will happen then @maciejs ?

Also I agree on the wasted recources but saying my system can handle this amount of VM's it is not as a big problem it just uses a load more CPU and RAM then needed on top of that HDD usage is not to speak off.

I have all of my servers running -headless -dedicated now and that improved speed considerably too and made my machines use less when updating the game files.

Chao, The Roaring Lion

No the servers are on 1 VM each, this image is from my desktop to manage the servers. I'm sending the log files over LAN and process log entries to figure out what's going on (which is far from complete, mainly with players connecting and disconnecting).

Did you try multiple servers on one OS? Whats the result? I did get multiple running but no1 seems to join. It's hard to check if that is due to server issues or just no players currently playing.

Hosting TDM EU, Since I can only host one server. Its been one since 1 and a half weeks ago. Been up, not went down so far. (other then updates)

I would like to see a possible way of setting up more than one server in the future, but so far it's good :^

On 12/10/2016 at 11:37 AM, TheRoaringLion said:

Change eloRating=2 to eloRating=0 it only allows RC matches then, thing is IDK what happens when you set it to 1 what will happen then @maciejs ?

1 doesn't really make much sense in this context, I think it'd just be like RC off. As for running multiple servers on 1 machine, again - this is not properly tested and unofficial, but you can run the game manually with same arguments as the launcher provides (don't remember off the top of my head tbh). Please do not try to push it too far though, it can result in a poor experience for your players.

On 2016-12-11 at 9:43 PM, maciejs said:

1 doesn't really make much sense in this context, I think it'd just be like RC off. As for running multiple servers on 1 machine, again - this is not properly tested and unofficial, but you can run the game manually with same arguments as the launcher provides (don't remember off the top of my head tbh). Please do not try to push it too far though, it can result in a poor experience for your players.

Well having multiple Virtual machines running the game and all of them having good experience gives me incentive that it is going to do fine if I just host it on the wine client but I would like a more advanced launcher dedicated for DD servers instead of the game, Totally separated from the game assets you don't need like textures and other things.

The Option to host multiple servers at once is not a bad thing, if you can assign threads to it it will not suffer of bad performance in general.

It would be nice if there were a standalone version for the WF DD servers.

7 hours ago, maciejs said:

As for running multiple servers on 1 machine, again - this is not properly tested and unofficial, but you can run the game manually with same arguments as the launcher provides (don't remember off the top of my head tbh).

Quick question: what's your stance on wrapping the dedicated server in a custom-built program to pipe and process the output in (more-or-less) real-time? Shouldn't be a problem, right? I mean the same information is available from the logs. But those come with a delay, and flushing them more often does not make much sense.

20 minutes ago, Kontrollo said:

Quick question: what's your stance on wrapping the dedicated server in a custom-built program to pipe and process the output in (more-or-less) real-time? Shouldn't be a problem, right? I mean the same information is available from the logs. But those come with a delay, and flushing them more often does not make much sense.

By the looks of it, it's what spiedie's doing. You're correct, this information is available in the log, so we don't really care how you access it (as long as it doesn't interfere with the game).

As for running multiple servers, there's actually another option I added while back, if you run the launcher with -headless -dedicated:X it'll spawn X DS processes (so X=2 -> 2 servers). The only caveat is, only of these will use given email, the other ones will be anonymous, so no leaderboard pts (this was intended for internal use, I might change it in the future).

Thanks for the headless command.

Will there be a "stand-alone" version for dedicated servers?

As in, downloading the whole Warframe Client just for dedicated servers is not very efficient on deploying.

Sorry for begging too much, but will there be admin options like,

"Automatic restart server after N matches",

"Automatic update after match when new updates available"?

I would like to automate them ><

3 hours ago, p41nfr4m3 said:

Ok 88 more matches on wine completed and no crashes during gameplay so far. Hope that gives some usable feedback for people that prefer the linux way.

I tried to make it work with the linux guide but I can't seem to get it to work.

Archived