Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Armor Cap?

NGSBRReAPeR

Question

I know there's a maximum amount or armor a frame can reach to actually reduce DMG, just don't know which one it is

Just curious, because if the Armor Cap is equal to or bellow 1,725 armor then I have no need for even MORE armor on my Chroma and I can simply change my elemental to Electric for the bonus shields

11 answers to this question

Just now, TARINunit9 said:

Every 300 armor means enemy damage is reduced by 50% (so 600 armor means enemy damage is reduced by 75%, 900 armor is 87.5%, etc.). It will never "cap" to my knowledge, but with nearly 1800 armor enemy damage is reduced by I think 98%

That's a good enough answer, thanks :)

6 minutes ago, NGSBRReAPeR said:

That's a good enough answer, thanks :)

On, head's up, I had my numbers wrong. The damage resistance is actually (armor / (300+ armor)). 300 armor is still 50%, 600 is actually 33%, 900 is 25%, and your 1750 Chroma is 15% (as in, enemies only deal 15% damage to you)

Just now, TARINunit9 said:

On, head's up, I had my numbers wrong. The damage resistance is actually (armor / (300+ armor)). 300 armor is still 50%, 600 is actually 33%, 900 is 25%, and your 1750 Chroma is 15% (as in, enemies only deal 15% damage to you)

Good enough

18 minutes ago, NGSBRReAPeR said:

I know there's a maximum amount or armor a frame can reach to actually reduce DMG, just don't know which one it is

Just curious, because if the Armor Cap is equal to or bellow 1,725 armor then I have no need for even MORE armor on my Chroma and I can simply change my elemental to Electric for the bonus shields

There is no such thing as no need for more armor. The difference between let's say 98% and 99% is that you take half as much damage.

The Ice Elemental on Chroma also has 2 other advantages that help the tanking. The bullets that enemies fire ricochet back at them and slow them down by 50% and everything that is too close suffers a similar thing. Rockets bounce off without exploding and Ancient hooks have no effect on you. Due to that, with Ice Ward I can hold back any number of Heavy Gunners without issue.

There is no cap on amour, nor is there any drop-off in how much extra EHP you get per point of armour. If your chroma has 740hp, then every extra 300 armour will always give you an extra 740 EHP, regardless of how much armour you already have. You need to figure out for yourself how much armour is "enough", depending on what missions you usually run, and then go from there. If you're never going below 95% health even under continuous fire, then you can probably afford to drop some armour in exchange for something else.

Armor doesn't actually cap at all - there will be a perceived softcap however, but not in the sense that Armor is becoming less effective.
no, the Diminishing Returns are in that the more Armor you have, the harder it is to get more since there's limited amounts of increases you can apply to yourself. and once you have most of these already, whatever scraps of Armor is left become less valuable.

22 minutes ago, -BM-Leonhart said:

There is no such thing as no need for more armor.

as SaurusRex mentioned, technically there is - once you have enough Armor that you're basically incapable of being Killed even without Healing yourself by the end of the Mission - you definitely don't need more then!

22 minutes ago, -BM-Leonhart said:

The Ice Elemental on Chroma also has 2 other advantages that help the tanking. The bullets that enemies fire ricochet back at them and slow them down by 50% and everything that is too close suffers a similar thing. Rockets bounce off without exploding and Ancient hooks have no effect on you. Due to that, with Ice Ward I can hold back any number of Heavy Gunners without issue.

Oh, didn't know that

R.I.P. Electric Elemental Chroma

There is no hard armor cap.

I calculated the tankiness of Ice Chroma in another thread: 

With 299% power strength and max steel fiber, Ice Chroma has approximately 24119 armor, granting 98.77 damage reduction.

You can go beyond this amount using Stand United aura, Energy Conversion, and/or Arcane Guardian. There's a limit on how much armor you can currently get, which can be calculated by completely maximizing armor on Ice Chroma, which will probably surpass 99% damage reduction, but there's no set number on armor that you're not allowed to surpass.