Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Design Desicions behind Syndicate Proc (Not Criticism)

Lucernam

Question

12 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Yzjdriel said:

I don't pretend to know what goes on inside the DE studio, but I think it had something to do with how those weapons were largely unused due to their being severely underpowered compared to our other options.

"we want to give a tiny 'plus' to old weapons to make them better and more used"

> proceed to create mods that grant useless bonuses to old weapons nobody used/will use

1 minute ago, Trichouette said:

"we want to give a tiny 'plus' to old weapons to make them better and more used"

> proceed to create mods that grant useless bonuses to old weapons nobody used/will use

That's both hilarious and spot-on, with the exception of New Loka.  All three of their mods are excellent.

Bright Purity:  +100% melee damage?  Extremely useful.  Adds a radial proc?  Excuse me while I build a Skana again.

Winds of Purity:  Pistol now has life steal?  Interesting.  Adds a proc that heals me?  I'll have to give this weapon some legitimacy now (and since this mod can be used on the Dex Furis, I don't even need to build the weapon again).

Lasting Purity:  +60% damage while scoped in on a sniper rifle?  Hells yeah.  On the Vulkar Wratih?  Awesome.  Adds a proc that kills things that happen to be nearby while I'm killing things that are far away?  Yes please.

Just now, Yzjdriel said:

That's both hilarious and spot-on, with the exception of New Loka.  All three of their mods are excellent.

Bright Purity:  +100% melee damage?  Extremely useful.  Adds a radial proc?  Excuse me while I build a Skana again.

Winds of Purity:  Pistol now has life steal?  Interesting.  Adds a proc that heals me?  I'll have to give this weapon some legitimacy now (and since this mod can be used on the Dex Furis, I don't even need to build the weapon again).

Lasting Purity:  +60% damage while scoped in on a sniper rifle?  Hells yeah.  On the Vulkar Wratih?  Awesome.  Adds a proc that kills things that happen to be nearby while I'm killing things that are far away?  Yes please.

I would agree on that, unless for the last one because... well who play snipers, they're undereffective. (unless in yesterday's sortie interception + sniper only)

And "add+100% melee damage" is ridiculous as a mod, can't wait for damage 3.0...

(honestly I only play furis & winds of purity on chroma :p )

12 minutes ago, Trichouette said:

I would agree on that, unless for the last one because... well who play snipers, they're undereffective. (unless in yesterday's sortie interception + sniper only)

And "add+100% melee damage" is ridiculous as a mod, can't wait for damage 3.0...

(honestly I only play furis & winds of purity on chroma :p )

(I main EV Trin so the life gain thing is irrelevant XP)

since some of them pretty much break the theme of the Syndicate, i think we can presume they pull names out of a hat.

2 minutes ago, LunarEdge7 said:

I plan to use the Grinlok with Perrin augment though. Love it.

it's pretty useful! you can have a 67.5% Crit Chance, which is quite good for a DMR.

Edited by taiiat

1 hour ago, Yzjdriel said:

Winds of Purity:  [...] this mod can't be used on the Dex Furis

Fixed that for ya, before anyone gets too excited :P

Just curious, who else is kind of annoyed / disappointed that the Kela and Index weapon Augments
were not introduced as Syndicate Offerings and thus didn't also include a Syndicate kerboom?
[I want more Energy-restoring / mass-proccing weapons, dangit.]

1 hour ago, NinjaZeku said:

Fixed that for ya, before anyone gets too excited :P

Just curious, who else is kind of annoyed / disappointed that the Kela and Index weapon Augments
were not introduced as Syndicate Offerings and thus didn't also include a Syndicate kerboom?
[I want more Energy-restoring / mass-proccing weapons, dangit.]

I wouldn't want them to do the same things the syndicate weapons do. I'd rather have them give effects like the ones Detron/Sobek/Jat Kittag gives.

1 hour ago, LunarEdge7 said:

I wouldn't want them to do the same things the syndicate weapons do. I'd rather have them give effects like the ones Detron/Sobek/Jat Kittag gives.

I'm saying, they could've had both.

Syndicate Augments don't all need to / shouldn't just be +[stat],
look at e.g. Winds of Purity / Entropy Spike, added mechanics are fair game.

7 hours ago, NinjaZeku said:

I'm saying, they could've had both.

Syndicate Augments don't all need to / shouldn't just be +[stat],
look at e.g. Winds of Purity / Entropy Spike, added mechanics are fair game.

Having both would be too much imo.

But I see your point, I s'pose.

No, Winds of Purity can't be used on Dex Furis.

But yeah, Loka's are good.
[size=2]Also, 2/3 Steel are good (well, 1/3 is good, Shattering Justice is amazing.),
2/3 Sudas cater to a niche audience,
as does the Burston P hexis one,
as does the Grinlok Perrin one, and the Acrid one broke Solar Rails,
Embolist's didn't address the fundamental weapon issue (though the larger mag was nice) and the Dark Dagger one is a nice way to restore energy with Covert Leth.

So, 7/12? That's almost a passing grade, no?[/size]

But my issue isn't that they're not particularly useful. I see it as the first attempt at -for the most part- making weapons better without simply buffing their stats. Which has given us the Shadow Debt mods (and I'm sorry it did), the Azima, the syndicate procs, the Heliocor, the last half-dozen or so Infested weapons, the Zenistar and the syndicate melees.

And while not all of them have amazing stats or comfortably usable mechanics, all of them are at least slightly mechanically interesting, as opposed to being the next incremental increase of a bland, generic assault rifle.

My issue is that - as is typical with DE and new systems - they were implemented, released and abandoned. Not even an attempt at iterating on them, to improve the lackluster ones.
Some of this stems from manpower shortage, maybe, but most of it is DE's prioritization choices.