Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So Radial Blind has a cooldown now?

SamuraiPizza

Question

I only started using Excal seriously again recently (played a lot of Frost/Rhino before, abandoned excal after that mind numbing slide blind cost) and I noticed something.

I'm facing a hyekka master, so I cast blind. Then from around the corner, a heavy gunner shows up almost immediately and starts firing onto me. I press 2 again, only to hear that double-honk-tone-of-NOPE noise with a message at the bottom right of my screen: "POWER NOT READY." I panic, fly away, hit 2 again. "POWER NOT READY." Now I'm thinking it's a bug. So five to six seconds later, I try again. And it goes off. I'm like.....okay. Imma try this again. 

*presses 2*

*presses 2 again*

"POWER NOT READY"

*waits about 5 secs, presses 2*

*BOOM!*

.....WELL then.

I remember DE saying pretty explicitly that cooldowns are never going to be a thing in Warframe. What's going on with that? The slide blind cost has me quite upset already, and now this? Has this been there for a while and I just didn't notice until now, or is this new? 

24 answers to this question

As others have said Radial Blind has always had a 5 second time between uses.
The reason is that during those first 5 seconds the initial targets of the blind are stunned as well as  blinded, and as a balancing feature to the ability you can't just spam it non-stop to lock everything into a permanent stun animation.

Its just like the old Stomp/Chaos where you couldn't recast the ability while targets were affected by them.
DE just never updated RB to not have that period like they did the others.

EDIT:

2 minutes ago, LABAL said:

It had a 2 second delay until rework. Now, 5 full seconds is enough to kill you twice.

is wrong.  The delay has always been 5 seconds which has always been the duration of the stun effect on targets.   That duration (and the not-able to be recasted time) has also never been affected by mods.
Its been there since literally day one.  I know that for a fact.

Edited by Tsukinoki

11 minutes ago, Legion216 said:

Okay then, I'll return to savouring the cup of hemlock that is my life

:NotLikeThis:

Thanks for the answer though. This makes me very sad.

By Zeus, Socrates, I told you I could get your wise &#! out of that prison last night.

Just now, LABAL said:

It had a 2 second delay until rework. Now, 5 full seconds is enough to kill you twice.

I just never stop moving when I'm up against high spawn-rates, by the time I've blinded I'm already flying off somewhere else preparing for my next strategically placed blind.

I'm honestly getting REALLY tired of warframe if it's just gonna keep nerfing stuff in the name of "balance".  I stopped using excalibur after the post EB tweaks started to roll in and all it boils down to is a meta carousel in the end.

13 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

Why? It has a huge range and enemies stay blinded for the duration of the cooldown.

Because cooldowns haven't largely been part of warframe designs and now they're being shoved into powers that didn't have them as a form of nerf. 

Seriously would it be THAT difficult to just design an enemy that is naturally blind and ergo immune to bright flashing lights?

4 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

is wrong.  The delay has always been 5 seconds which has always been the duration of the stun effect on targets.   That duration (and the not-able to be recasted time) has also never been affected by mods.
Its been there since literally day one.  I know that for a fact.

Matters not what you know for a fact, but what is a fact. And it was, in fact, far less than five seconds at some point.

10 minutes ago, LABAL said:

Matters not what you know for a fact, but what is a fact. And it was, in fact, far less than five seconds at some point.

Could you actually source that?
Could you source an update where that time has changed?
Because hek, even the wiki going back as far as is possible, back to when the warframe powers were mods and before they even had a conclave rating attached all say the same thing:
Has a cast time of 1 second and a reuse delay of 5 seconds

The absolute earliest one states:  It also has a cast time of ~1 second and a reuse delay of ~4 seconds..
So again, please tell me when it was "far shorter" than 5 seconds.
Consider that that specific quote of "about 4 seconds" is from 2013, which is before you started playing.

So please, source your claims that it was "far less than five seconds"
Please source your patch notes where they changed it.

You won't find any as it has always been 5 second delay.

Edited by Tsukinoki

20 minutes ago, Irorone said:

I'm honestly getting REALLY tired of warframe if it's just gonna keep nerfing stuff in the name of "balance".

Wasn't an original complaint of the game was that it was too easy and boring as a result?

Also there isn't a cooldown, it's the ability duration. Enemies are still blinded while you're trying to blind more. Kill every blinded enemy and it resets.

Edited by (PS4)Tactless_Ninja

Just now, (PS4)Tactless_Ninja said:

Wasn't an original complaint of the game was that it was too easy and boring as a result?

And 99.9% of those that complained about it being "too easy" never bother bothered testing themselves against the actual highest level enemies in the game because "it'd be boring" even then there's MUCH better ways to spice up the game than nerfing the flavor of the update.

Just now, Irorone said:

And 99.9% of those that complained about it being "too easy" never bother bothered testing themselves against the actual highest level enemies in the game because "it'd be boring" even then there's MUCH better ways to spice up the game than nerfing the flavor of the update.

So you're saying the actual game is balanced around max level enemies when 99% of the time we won't be fighting them?

10 minutes ago, (PS4)Tactless_Ninja said:

So you're saying the actual game is balanced around max level enemies when 99% of the time we won't be fighting them?

If people were looking for a challenge it exists, they just choose not to.  Why don't they choose to?  Because it's not challenge they're after, it's not balance, it's to toy around with something and in the process get ready for the next something.

Also people expecting "balance" in PVE warframe is practically a running joke/trollbait.  For example, tonkor, people just go on and on about how a critical damage grenade is so good at killing things.

Edit: To more directly answer the question I don't care.  I play the game because, at least aspects of it anymore, are fun.  I don't really care if it is balanced but it annoys me when somebody thinks making something I'm having fun with objectively worse is good for the game.

Edited by Irorone

I can't remember cause using mini radial blind is a bad option that I only do by accident but I guess that it has a lower delay between casts.

I don't mind much about his rb cooldown or EB nerf.... I'm angry mostly cause of this stupid mini rb cost =S this and not being able to turn off the EB turret mode... It would be soo cool if we could turn on or off the waves like ivara's arrows and vauban's mines... then we could effectively go melee with EB =o

Oh excal you're my fav but even umbra incoming won't save you buddy -.-'

Edited by Azyrt

I don't recall how long it's had the animation delay or if it was always there but the largest reason I can't recall is because Blind used to be incredibly good to the point there was no reason to recast it right away.

As far as the animation excuse goes... Nyx's Chaos was the same situation and it was changed. So I don't think it's a very valid point anymore. Both Chaos and Pacifying Bolts have the same animation as Blind and they can be recast they simply do not affect the same target.

Making Blind susceptible to LoS has made the delay problematic and it should be changed.

55 minutes ago, Tsukinoki said:

Please source your patch notes where they changed it.

You won't find any as it has always been 5 second delay.

I don't owe you anything. If you didn't play when the cooldown was shorter, it's your own damn problem. There are people who experienced it first hand and none of them have to prove anything to you.

15 minutes ago, LABAL said:

I don't owe you anything. If you didn't play when the cooldown was shorter, it's your own damn problem. There are people who experienced it first hand and none of them have to prove anything to you.

Of course you don't have to prove anything :)

Incidentally, he's a founder with excalibur prime, he was absolutely there for the earliest versions of excal.

Edited by rapt0rman

I've analyzed some old videos and it seems that it was, indeed, exactly five seconds of cooldown for Radial Blind.
However, while earler videos show that the (sadly, invisible) countdown starts at the beginning of the cast animation, later videos suggest that it only begins when the power is already in effect, making it feel much longer.

Edited by LABAL