Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Discussing the problems with Riven mods and their egregious RNG

Brynslustafir

To be honest, Riven Mods is good for us. Making tenno more powerful and more weapon viable. However the cost and grind are indeed extreme.

I spend 2 days farming Kuva and 2k plats for these 4 mods:

http://imgur.com/6Q5yDr5

I know what you guys felt when seeing these mods. Beautiful isnt it? When you got it, it worth all the tears..

With Riven Mods, those Prime chambers holders who spend 5k plats can only cry.

I hope something new as this gets to a point of consideration not only by DE but also for the community, it's been only a few days and people and reacting a bit too hard on it, I'd like to see this turn into something balanced, (as many suggested) Instead of fearing what will happen or predicting the worse (many know about past events ik), Tennos can also make it for better, not turning it into a cataclysm, "cause HELL if we can! We will break every tiny bit of the game with this"... So i hope for improvements as well.

I think the challenges or broken challenges to unveil the mod are frustrating for many, that needs work, good or normal challenges are quite interesting in my opinion.

After that having a mod for a weapon you don't use or care about it might be not so welcoming but is part of the dynamic I guess, WF has many weapons... I can see we can always roll the status, but not the weapon (so it seems) RNG is quite something in here.

They, DE, either makes pre-established mods for each weapon and possible rolls or... RNG will keep us as we go.

Maybe the fact that the possibilities to get the mod you want mixed with the limited space of riven mods is contradicting for many. Is the limited number of 15 riven to hold back the so called Power on these mods?

Well uhm let's try to find a way to fix it, make it better instead of erasing it. Let's just try at least.

Headshot while aimgliding is easy. Take a weapon like soma. Remove all damage mods. Add in ammo capacity and fire rate mods.

Use +90% aim glide mod. 

Go to a place with high enemy density (not infested). Use something like frost ice wave imedance to CC, jump from someplace high. Shoot a couple in the face. You dont need to kill for that, just hit someone in the face.

5 hours ago, Ssiki said:

I hope something new as this gets to a point of consideration not only by DE but also for the community, it's been only a few days and people and reacting a bit too hard on it,

Best bet would be either Loki or Ivara with 3 Silent weapons rocking different elemental combos. 

But getting the sentients to spawn might be difficult. 

On 11/12/2016 at 2:28 AM, Plasmaface said:

Easily the largest problem with Riven mods is that you must contend with multiple layers of RNG to get one, and then you can only hope that the final layer RNG gives you a mod with good stats that isn't tied to a useless weapon (Gorgon, anyone?). 

So the most obvious solution is to remove at least 1 layer of RNG. I suggest removing Riven mods from sorties and making them a guaranteed reward from alerts, with identical frequency to Nitain extract. That's still RNG, but it would feel much better than wasting an hour on arduous sorties and getting nothing good in return.

I do not agree with this. They seem to be intended as ultra-rare, endgame mods. I think their rarity is acceptable.

Here are the things I feel are need to be improved with them:

• Kuva can only be gotten doing a specific thing. Even with a resource booster you can end up playing a node a dozen times before a Kuva Siphon spawns. It would be different if the resource were simply aquired over time while playing the game for fun. I'm not saying it should necessarily drop from enemies, because then everyone stops having fun playing only Nekros after a while, but I do think it should be more widely available.
  • Diminishing returns for farming Kuva to reroll mods. I understand your chances are better for not getting negative stats at each level, but the fact that the stats are completely random means you could literally play several days doing the same mission type and never get anything worthwhile.
  • Pure RNG stats. This is somewhat redundant from the last point. It would be nice to work towards each stat change, or even be able to LOCK a stat if you get one you want to keep, rather than farming for a reroll that will more than likely take away something very positive. Working torwards something and then having your progress reverted is very frustrating.
  • Sentinel Riven mods. A chance to get "nothing" if you can manage to get one from sortie.
Edited by Neightrix

8 minutes ago, Neightrix said:

I do not agree with this. They seem to be intended as ultra-rare, endgame mods. I think their rarity is acceptable.

Here are the things I feel are need to be improved with them:

• Kuva can only be gotten doing a specific thing. and even with a resource booster you can end up playing a node a dozen times before a Kuva Siphon spawns. It would be different if the resource were simply aquired over time while playing the game for fun. I'm not saying it should necessarily drop from enemies, because then everyone stops having fun playing only Nekros after a while, but I do think it should be more widely available.
  • Diminishing returns for farming Kuva to reroll mods. I understand your chances are better for not getting negative stats at each level, but the fact that the stats are completely random means you could literally play several days doing the same mission type and never get anything worthwhile.
  • Pure RNG stats. This is somewhat redundant from the last point. It would be nice to work towards each stat change, or even be able to LOCK a stat if you get one you want to keep, rather than farming for a reroll that will more than likely take away something very positive. Working torwards something and then having your progress reverted is very frustrating.
  • Sentinel Riven mods. A chance to get "nothing" if you can manage to get one from sortie.

If Riven mods could not have negative stats, and if The cost to re roll a riven mod did not increase, I might begin to agree with you. Even just having the possibility of negative stats on mods that are designed to be crazy rare is a bad idea. If they got rid of that and toned down the RNG by letting us Choose which weapon within the designated class it will work on, I would be willing to accept Riven mods.

But until then, I believe that they are one of the most flawed parts of the game. 

Edited by Plasmaface

1 hour ago, Plasmaface said:

If Riven mods could not have negative stats, and if The cost to re roll a riven mod did not increase, I might begin to agree with you. Even just having the possibility of negative stats on mods that are designed to be crazy rare is a bad idea. If they got rid of that and toned down the RNG by letting us Choose which weapon within the designated class it will work on, I would be willing to accept Riven mods.

But until then, I believe that they are one of the most flawed parts of the game. 

I'm still boggling at it - still.

Way back in the oldest days of the game, the closed beta days (I think) before my arrival on the scene, a progression system including Random Mods was tried - and then scrapped completely.

Why bring it back now? Judging (perhaps prematurely) from the way Riven Mods landed, DE haven't learned anything from the earlier failure of Random Mods. If their ideas and attitudes haven't changed, why did this concept stay out of the game for so long?

I just don't get it. We know they can't currently fulfill any of DE's stated goals as mentioned in the Workshop post, so why did they arrive in such a busted state?

My only issue with the Riven mods is that it chooses a random weapon. Honestly, I think it should bind the weapon to the weapon it was equipped on during the trial. Thus if I equipped the Riven mod to my Prisma Gorgon it will be a Gorgon Riven mod that can only be used on Gorgon weapons. Everything else can still be random, just let us have a little bit of control over which weapon it goes to.

Im ok with riven mods as long as I will be able to get my hands on a new one from time to time. I have OP gear as it is and dont really care what other players do in their spare time. I just want to revitalize one of my old guns with a fun mod. Knowing DE though Rivens will be sortie only with a drop chance of zeropointsomthing% and I will spend the next 100 sorties getting 2k endo.

On 11/12/2016 at 5:39 AM, terrober15 said:

My riven task to unveil it is to get 36 Finishers without setting off any alarms.. Setting them off at any point during the mission, even if after the 36 Finishers, makes me not unveil it. Seven tries later, still no luck. Will update when I finally get what I'm sure will be a ridiculously unnecessary Riven.

I figured it out, I was being a dummy and not thinking about possibly putting it onto a weapon. Even after that, I still messed up twice, setting off an alarm right before extracting each time. Will be trying my luck with the five headshots next...

On 11/12/2016 at 2:41 AM, JSharpie said:

but you can get multiple, fairly easily too (just do a sortie and you have a good chance at getting one), so I don't see the problem.

You really have to stop using this as an argument. I hate to tell you this, but it's not one.

On 15/11/2016 at 4:26 AM, leperkhaun said:

Headshot while aimgliding is easy. Take a weapon like soma. Remove all damage mods. Add in ammo capacity and fire rate mods.

Use +90% aim glide mod. 

Go to a place with high enemy density (not infested). Use something like frost ice wave imedance to CC, jump from someplace high. Shoot a couple in the face. You dont need to kill for that, just hit someone in the face.

FYI they actually changed this condition in a recent hotfix and it wasn't documented that extensively. It now requires headshot kills to complete the 'headshot while aimgliding' challenge. I know this, because I had to do one just yesterday! The rest of your tips are solid though, but I'd recommend a Soma or other high rate of fire weapon but keep a decent amount of damage mods on it, so you can actually get kills.