Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[SPOILERS] So... did we just encounter Umbra? (TWW Story Spoilers)

DaiDragon

Hi all, just a quick post and I'm sure others have already touched on it.

During The War Within we get a bit of the operators past and at some point you are with your dad and he says "something is out there 'Kiddo', watching us".

We then learn that the void drove the adults mad and the children were somehow immune to the "maddening" effect of the void and became the Tenno. All the adults killed (and ate?) each other, leaving the children alone in the void until they were rescued.

At the end of the quest (when you decide the fate of the staff/scepter) our eyes change colour and we say somthing along the lines of "Hey 'Kiddo', what took you so long?" or other lines depending on your choice.

My out there bit of tinfoil is what if this is your dad? and he is now a creature of the void to, but maybe twisted and mad? A 'shadow' of his former self you might say.

So yeh, what if our dad is/becomes Umbra?

Thanks for reading,

LeighPouse

*edit* I would just like to point out that I think the repeating of the word "Kiddo" is probably important (at least it seems that way to me). You get that word no matter what alignment you end up as it seems.

*edit2*  We do know that people can become 'part' of the void without losing their personality it seems, we have Vor who becomes part of the void, who's to say our dad didn't also go through this transformation? if you die in the void you become part of it's defense mechanism correct? but it seems people with 'strong' personalities can maintain some control, just a thought.

Edited by LeighPouse

Umbras are frames with no operator .

Stalker is a possible umbra.

They are rogue frames who either killed thier operator or were able to disconnect from transferrance and have a mind of ther own.

There is a little to no possibility that our dad is/becomes umbra.

(Its a theory)

Edited by Iamnotanoob
Ples ;-;

1 minute ago, Iamnotanoob said:

They are rogue frames who either killed thier operator or were able to disconnect from transferrance and have a mind of ther own.

Do we know this for sure? sorry, been out of the loop for a while

4 minutes ago, Iamnotanoob said:

what evidence do you have for this?

5 minutes ago, Iamnotanoob said:

nice Theorie but, do you got a source fro this?

9 minutes ago, LeighPouse said:

At the end of the quest (when you decide the fate of the staff/scepter) our eyes change colour and we say somthing along the lines of "Hey 'Kiddo', what took you so long?"

The quote you get here is alignment-based. The neutrality quote is "Don't forget kiddo, you're nothing without me"

4 minutes ago, LeighPouse said:

No we don't, it's just the most common theory

1 minute ago, Dragonofdarkness13 said:

I think that Voice at the end was THE VOID... Like the Void is a lifeform of sorts and that's what was Watching them. Just my personal Thoughts

I think the voice at the end is your warframe, since one possible quote is "you're nothing without me"

I think you have touched on something valid, that the malevolent nature of the void (i.e: the void that drove adults mad and comeplled them to slaughter one another, which may have also been the source of our father's paranoia, maybe even a descent into madness?) and the force that powers and acts as a directive for what we know as "Umbra" may be linked.

2 minutes ago, Dragonofdarkness13 said:

I think that Voice at the end was THE VOID... Like the Void is a lifeform of sorts and that's what was Watching them. Just my personal Thoughts

Also no Confirmation on what ' Iamnotanoob ' Said about umbras being Warframes without an operator

I do like that, but we do know that people can become 'part' of the void without losing their personality it seems, we have Vor who becomes part of the void, who's to say our dad didn't also go through this transformation? if you die in the void you become part of it's defense mechanism correct? but it seems people with 'strong' personalities can maintain some control, just a thought.

If you go a mostly light path, it says "You mad at me, kiddo? Did you forget? You owe me."

EDIT: I'll also add that Tenno can control the Warframes because of a form of mental link with that specific Operator. Somatic Link and Transference isn't exactly limited to the Tenno AFAIK due to the info we got in The Silver Grove quest.

Edited by ChargeBeam

5 minutes ago, LeighPouse said:

Its still a theory but has been mentioned several times over the forums and at some stream steve himself mentioned this(I'm not sure)

Also full theory:https://m.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/4q519k/i_figured_out_what_the_umbra_are_spoilers/

Also only Tenno in the whole Universe are said to be able to control a warframe .

And it was also in the datamined v1 script.

1 minute ago, Iamnotanoob said:

And it was also in the datamined v1 script.

Very cool theory and thank you for making me aware of it, however, datamining isn't always reliable as if it is not actually 'IN' the game then it can be subject to change?

11 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

I think the voice at the end is your warframe, since one possible quote is "you're nothing without me"

Why is it this hard to understand? This is the VOID itself as in the quest you've already faced the consequences after losing your VOID abilities and got kicked out cause you're no longer able to perform transference cause your powers are gone; which you had to regain again, infact in a more powerful way means the VOID itself within you becomes more stronger than before. VOID is darkness/evil itself so the lines in the end indicate your methodology of either being a saint or balanced or a devil which is decided by the choices (four choices) you made till that point.

Finally, for me it's the starting of the Umbra quest cause Umbra is also called the darkness. The war within has been won but the inner darkness has risen due to the battle which Teshin also points out at the very end and this darkness will possibly possess some of our warframes which will bring us the umbra frames. Before anyone ask for the source or evidence, I'd like to refer steve's speech on a recent DevStream which he made after being asked repeatedly by players and Queen Rebecca herself.

I have this weird theory that the end of TWW, where our operator just says whatever the hell they said because of our choices, did an Umbra thing.

The Chaos Path in particular, where our operator just says, "Did you miss me Kiddo?"

19 minutes ago, AhmadIvu said:

Why is it this hard to understand?

Because we are given no indication whatsoever that the Void is anything other than a pocket dimension, much less that it's alive and conscious. Even in Warhammer 40k, the Warp is not something that has consciousness; the four Chaos Gods do, but not the Warp. Likewise, the Void is, at this point, just a dimension

From the perspective of storytelling, it's more likely that the Warframe -- something that IS established to have SOME consciousness (just very limited) at the end of Second Dream -- is the one speaking

None of this contradicts the stuff about alignment (or "methodology" as you called it) or the possibility of Umbra being relevant soon

3 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

None of this contradicts the stuff about alignment (or "methodology" as you called it) or the possibility of Umbra being relevant soon

Hopefully you will see and so will we.

I'm gonna re-quote that line for your reconsideration of better understanding.

the lines in the end (of the quest) indicate your methodology of either being a saint or balanced or a devil which is decided by the choices (four choices) you made till that point (since very beginning of the quest).

Edited by AhmadIvu

8 minutes ago, AhmadIvu said:

Hopefully you will see and so will we.

I'm gonna re-quote that line for your reconsideration of better understanding.

the lines in the end (of the quest) indicate your methodology of either being a saint or balanced or a devil which is decided by the choices (four choices) you made till that point (since very beginning of the quest).

The quest choices aren't good or evil, though, and neither is the Void. Some characters have called the Void a "hell" because it's so bizarre, but that doesn't make it evil. It's just chaotic and illogical. If you end the quest with a Moon alignment, you have embraced the Void's unreasoning influence. If you end it with Sun, you have rejected the Void and remain firmly grounded.

Just now, Akavakaku said:

If you end the quest with a Moon alignment, you have embraced the Void's unreasoning influence. If you end it with Sun, you have rejected the Void and remain firmly grounded.

We are on the same track just the wording and presentation is different.

No matter the choises, the voice always refers to you as a 'kiddo'. Your father also calls you kiddo in the memories during the quest. Coincidence? Well, I don't know, but while you say that stuff at the end, your eyes turn kinda void-like and there is this void mist all around you. Perhaps void is a limbo between death and life or something? Could be the void talking, could someone within the void. For some reason that "kiddo" part doesn't sound like what a warframe would say, at least in my opinion. Also, you get your powers from the void (void blast, void dash etc.), so "you're nothing without me" is something the void (or someone from void) would say. Without the powers you couldn't control warframes.

Well, that's how I see it anyway.

Edited by Vilmu