Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Riven Mod reload speed miscalculates

Shockwave-

Question

I have a riven mod for the simulor that has + 48.4% reload speed. The reload speed on the simulor is 2.0 seconds.

2.0 seconds * .484 = .968 or .97

That means the reload speed should be 1.03 seconds. But it shows up as 1.3 seconds.

1.3 seonds is only only a 35% increase in reload spped, not a 48.4% increase.

12 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Shockwave- said:

I have a riven mod for the simulor that has + 48.4% reload speed. The reload speed on the simulor is 2.0 seconds.

2.0 seconds * .484 = .968 or .97

That means the reload speed should be 1.03 seconds. But it shows up as 1.3 seconds.

1.3 seonds is only only a 35% increase in reload spped, not a 48.4% increase.

Not this again... People, if you don't know math nor its terminology, don't even bother. I'll keep this very short:

It's a 35% reduction in reload time, which is the same as a 48,4% increase in reload speed. It works EXACTLY as it should.

It makes sense if you actually think about it, the wiki is unnecessary.  +100% reload speed would mean that you reload twice as fast or that your reload time is cut in half, not that there isn't any reload.  +48% reload speed would mean that you reload 1.48 times as fast or that your reload time is divided by 1.48.

On 11/18/2016 at 9:37 PM, Shockwave- said:

It's DE's responsibility to be clear, not the wiki.

It's already clear to people who understand how fractions and ratios work. The problem I've noticed, however, is that many people DON'T seem to understand math well enough to get proper results without some kind of reference.

On 11/18/2016 at 11:00 PM, djternan said:

It makes sense if you actually think about it, the wiki is unnecessary.  +100% reload speed would mean that you reload twice as fast or that your reload time is cut in half, not that there isn't any reload.  +48% reload speed would mean that you reload 1.48 times as fast or that your reload time is divided by 1.48.

Technically, yes, it's unnecessary. But limiting yourself simply because you don't NEED something, despite it making a certain set of tasks much easier, seems rather ill-advised to me. (At least in this type of case.)

30 minutes ago, cittran said:

It's already clear to people who understand how fractions and ratios work. The problem I've noticed, however, is that many people DON'T seem to understand math well enough to get proper results without some kind of reference.

Technically, yes, it's unnecessary. But limiting yourself simply because you don't NEED something, despite it making a certain set of tasks much easier, seems rather ill-advised to me. (At least in this type of case.)

Actually no, it isn't because many games don't work this way, and phrase it the same. You are trying to nitpick the phraseology to apply to the math, while others are concerned about the colloquial use. I can cite a number of games where this would work the opposite way. It's not to say DE is wrong, but is simply unclear. In the days of actual game manuals that explained the game this wouldn't be a problem, but today Developers like DE publish a game with literally no rulebook, leaving players to determine what they mean.

There's no "colloquial use" of math, for goodness' sake. It's math. I'm surprised you complain about this working the way it should, with reload time being the multiplicative inverse of reload speed, but you don't complain about "power efficiency" being an offset power cost modifier rather than a direct expression of efficiency. That's the weird thing.

On 11/18/2016 at 8:37 PM, Shockwave- said:

It's DE's responsibility to be clear, not the wiki.

"Reload speed" is what it says in the game and reload speed is exactly what it affects. It's your own fault if you read "reload speed" as "reload time".

5 hours ago, Shockwave- said:

Actually no, it isn't because many games don't work this way, and phrase it the same. You are trying to nitpick the phraseology to apply to the math, while others are concerned about the colloquial use. I can cite a number of games where this would work the opposite way. It's not to say DE is wrong, but is simply unclear. In the days of actual game manuals that explained the game this wouldn't be a problem, but today Developers like DE publish a game with literally no rulebook, leaving players to determine what they mean.

"Speed" is speed and "time" is time. I know of no colloquial use of "speed" that means "time". If I had a mod for my car for "+50% highway speed", that means my originally 3-hour drive on the highway now takes 2 hours, not 1.5 hours.

3 hours ago, DreamsmithJane said:

but you don't complain about "power efficiency" being an offset power cost modifier rather than a direct expression of efficiency. That's the weird thing.

Exactly.

I was actually shocked when they changed Power Efficiency from being an increase to the value of the energy spent to being a reduction of to the amount needing to be spent

They then needed to add in the 75% max Power Efficiency limit that wasn't needed before when 90% Efficiency meant only 52% cost rather than 10% cost.  I'd gotten used to the slightly off costs with Streamline alone (as the difference on 30% is minimal) and then it was changed to something that didn't follow the mathematics implied and an artificial limit was implemented that wasn't previously needed.