The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should Warframe Skins be Universal?

Dragazer

On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 10:12 PM, Dragazer said:

The new Ash Koga skin looks really sweet but, the problem here is that I want to play a frame that is actually useful

No. Also, if you want to insult Ash go make another topic. Also, learn to play

On 11/28/2016 at 2:17 PM, Neear said:

I understand what you mean although I think the reason lies in the animations of the warframe matching the skin and in order to make it "universal" they would have to remap every other frame to allow the skin to fit. I'm not exactly sure what it would require this is just a guess on my end. Also I think that there are other things that DE should work on first before trying to allow skins to be placed on other frames.

False.  You're able to use all the idle animations on all the frames because every frame uses the same skeletal rigging for animation.  Deluxe skins, being complete model overhauls with accompanying textures, are basically modular.  It wouldn't be a stretch of their tech to let deluxe skins be used on any frame.  It WOULD be pretty bizarre gameplay-wise, since appearances tell allies a lot about your kit.  No one will know what to do when Trinity is running around screaming, charging and stomping things into the air.  (It would be hilarious, though)

2 minutes ago, Berserkerkitten said:

Eh, if you wanted the skins to be universal and preserve each frame's model, then there'd still be an amount of effort required, which is so massive, it's pretty safe to assume it'll never happen. And "hurrdurr Ash is useless", go eat a landmine. :P

Hehe +1...thousand:crylaugh:

3 hours ago, Vastarov said:

It doesn't really matter what it looks like to you, but what the actual concept is - as far as design goes.

Not trying to sound rude - I think I failed...

If thats the point where the skin concept is needs to match the warframe's skill themes, then Ash Koga skin (ninja theme) should be able to work with Loki(stealth and trickery), Mirage(Shadow clones and traps), and maybe Saryn(Substitution and poison). Since those 3 frames are the closest frames that matches actual ninja skills. `-` 

Im saying is that designs and concepts are adaptable... Mags deluxe skin is pretty close to Nova's Default frame design. And again her design doesnt look trap in a magnet theme at all...

Also last time I check there are no glowy energy to hold up magnets... just sayin lol

On 11/29/2016 at 0:29 AM, Dragazer said:

I don't think so, I mean they already let us swap idle animations so just the skin textures would be simple.

Idle animations are based on the skeletons, which are very similar across warframes; skin textures are based on the models, which are very different.

There are so many technical reasons that I do not see it happening. For example if you wanted to create this you would have to remodel all abilities to support this structure. Iron Skin from Rhino, is one example to consider. I do not think what you were asking, or even considering, was that if you would have Valkyr Gesimi skin on Rhino and you'd activate the Iron Skin currently, it would take the shape of Rhino. That does not look good. But to ask this re-modelling of all skins across all Warframes and all Warframe abilities, well that is quite another level of task than Warframe animations given that all Warframes share the mutual skeletal framework- structure.