The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

With the Riven Mod released, will Damage 3.0 even come?

(PSN)T0katax

I assume so, but without reworking enemy balancing, I don't see such as a good thing. As it stands, if Serration were removed and your Rivens still kept their bonuses, it would be even more important to have particular dps increasing Rivens. If enemies were made to use mods as their level system, and to gain power; Adding or removing mods would be relatively painless, it just would require more work upfront.

8 minutes ago, (PS4)maso_sage-mode said:

i dont know what to expect from damage 3.0, that could be a healthy choice or the most powerful nerf in the history of warframe...have a lot of doubts on it...

Damage 3.0 being an unholy nerf applied evenly across all weapons, Warframes, and enemy scaling would be a healthy choice.

That said, the way I would phrase it is that Damage 3.0 as we thought of it is not coming, because Rivens are Damage 3.0. I have an old prediction which I made about it a few weeks ago, hang on.....

"When Damage 3.0 hits, the community is going to shatter into a thousand razor edged shards coated in poison. I say this with great sadness, mind, but the problem is that by this stage, the community reacts incredibly badly to any change, even (perhaps especially) to the kinds of change which the game needs. Suggest reining in the power creep, suggest rebalancing weapons, suggest flattening the power scale a bit, and the community goes into hysterics.

So. Either Damage 3.0 is going to be massive powercreep which finally just breaks the game's own mechanics, or Damage 3.0 is going to be the rebalancing which the game rather needs. In the case of the latter, the community will break, they will hurl death threats, they will DDoS the game, the forums, the website, everything.

I am very tired now."

We're getting the massive powercreep flavour of Damage 3.0 after all.

Edited by BornWithTeeth

I think a regular stat-squish is healthy, like what happened in WoW, when endgame characters ended up with a million times the health/damage of new characters (although they still have a BS hit-chance stat, that means low level characters can't do any damage to high level characters/players).  That way you can have endless power creep, except every so often you take it down a notch (simply by applying the same multiplier to base health/damage values across the board), so the range you have at 1-120 becomes the same as you had when it was 1-60.

1 hour ago, (PS4)T0katax said:

With the Riven Mod released, will Damage 3.0 even come?

That would imply going over every weapon and make every weapon viable in a way. Some would be leveling weapons (ultimately weaker as you progress) while others would be mastery locked and would be the "late game" weapons.

But it would take a lot of work and DE doesn't seem to be willing to revise old systems, prefering to add more S#&$ that can break the game.

I hope so, I'm a proponent of DE removing all flat damage mods, multishot mods, 90% element mods, and corrosive projection.

Riven mods would be (and imo...should be) the only source of flat damage and multishot stat bonuses.

You know DE has to tune down player power before they'd even consider reworking the enemy armor / enemy effective health imbalances.

1 hour ago, ChuckMaverick said:

Yes, and hopefully Riven mods will give DE enough breathing space that they can do it properly and not rush it out.

Sorry, but with riven mods, the DMG 3.0 will either be released and it will BLOW up in their face rather spectacularly, or it wont even happen. (it will happen)

DMG 3.0 would have blown up in their face never the less, but the magnitude of the said explosion however, would have been smaller without riven mods. Now they have powercreep mod system that makes updating damage system a bloody nightmare with a train wreck in sight.

I was fully against DMG 3.0, but now i just wanna see it all happen and blow up.

1 hour ago, (PS4)Magician_NG said:

I hope so, I'm a proponent of DE removing all flat damage mods, multishot mods, 90% element mods, and corrosive projection.

Riven mods would be (and imo...should be) the only source of flat damage and multishot stat bonuses.

You know DE has to tune down player power before they'd even consider reworking the enemy armor / enemy effective health imbalances.

How about TUNE down enemy first? Go try to whack a lvl 40 heavy gunner with a machete without bloodrush. Its like whacking them with feather duster. Nerfing our damage first is like telling we can only use a feather. F*** that! I wanna be OP as hell, being a space ninja and One man Army. That is FUN. If i want to have extended firefights I tend to remove DAMAGE mods and then enjoy a proverbial bullet hell along with ammo pizzas. It somehow amazes me that people forgot that they can remove mods from their weapons. Or they don't want to know.

Speaking of rebalance, I started to play this game because i enjoyed my massacre that I caused to the hordes of enemies. But lately I am having a hard time enjoying said massacre because of all the @(*()$ bollocks. I avoid going killing spree on Corpus because its like getting aneurysm by all the flippin Nullifiers before a @(*()$ BUrsa appears and causes said aneurysm to explode. I have rage quitted corpus missions cause I was QUITE sick of this nullifier bullS#&$. Didn't help that the ground was Lava by sapper nades.
Not to mention trying to deal with Ancient healers and their bullS#&$ of a damage buff. Try to see em though a army of infested mixed with other ancients is like asking for a Penta accident.

I rather keep heavy armor, ridiculous health and just straight up pump steroids into warframe and into guns. I wanna see big numbers, i wanna do tons of damage. I wanna have FUN. If i wanna cherry tap a bombard to death while mocking him while doing a backflip over him, remove serration and I laugh as I do exactly that.

9 minutes ago, Data-Zero said:

Sorry, but with riven mods, the DMG 3.0 will either be released and it will BLOW up in their face rather spectacularly, or it wont even happen. (it will happen)

DMG 3.0 would have blown up in their face never the less, but the magnitude of the said explosion however, would have been smaller without riven mods. Now they have powercreep mod system that makes updating damage system a bloody nightmare with a train wreck in sight.

I was fully against DMG 3.0, but now i just wanna see it all happen and blow up.

Riven mods don't cause any problem for damage 3.0 at all. If you're reworking the whole system then it doesn't matter what came before.

If people who have spent a fortune in plat on Riven mods get all salty about the rework, I'm afraid that's on them. Damage 3.0 has been talked about for a long time and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

4 hours ago, AM-Bunny said:

During the most recent Devstream, they mentioned that it will be a serious point of conversation going into 2017. 

Honestly, I'm not optimistic, but it does seem to be something that's still on their minds.

I'm glad to hear that. I didn't catch that on the last Dev Stream. There was a very important question that was asked in the forum thread about that and didn't hear it get addressed. Even though it was upvoted 99 times (60 more than any other question that did get addressed) didn't. Now with Riven mods, there is yet another mandatory mod to take up another mod slot. Even though I am as unoptimistic as you are, I still remain hopeful and willing to give them a benefit of a doubt that it will be done right. Here's to all the nail biting for the year of 2017.

27 minutes ago, (PS4)Magician_NG said:

I'd prefer it if DE began there as well.

Unfortunately, as their track record shows, DE is more concerned with dialing back player power first.

How often do you hear them mention damage 3.0 over armor ?.0 during a devstream?

Too much. Then again, I DO hope the rework includes enemy scaling. I just hope 2017 wont be like 2016. That was bad year.

25 minutes ago, ChuckMaverick said:

Riven mods don't cause any problem for damage 3.0 at all. If you're reworking the whole system then it doesn't matter what came before.

If people who have spent a fortune in plat on Riven mods get all salty about the rework, I'm afraid that's on them. Damage 3.0 has been talked about for a long time and shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Yea right. And Riven mod for Tonkor is not OP as hell? If they rework damage system, riven mod still stay in existence as a power creep.

And about riven re-rolls and plat spending on cancer? That, as you say, is their problem. I am a happy little tenno who will not attach that Riven Tumor into my weapon. I do have thought about turning it into plat resource but my distaste over it crushed that idea in the end. But enough about that.

It won't be surprise indeed, but it wont stop the backlash. That itself is guaranteed.

Edited by Data-Zero
typo

My guess is... forget about it.

I honestly doubt that so called "Damage 3.0" will come, and even if it will I doubt it would solve the main problems (which is enemy scaling most importantly).

Also, I can't imagine any drastic changes now that Riven mods are a thing.

Imagine buying some super expensive Riven for your favorite weapon for a few k platinum, or spending countless Kuva to finally roll the mod of your dreams.

Now some serious changes to damage system and modding in general come and... What happens? How to incorporate Rivens from old damage system into a new one that's supposedly something completely different?

I just don't see it happening. Don't get your hopes up.

2 minutes ago, Siekier said:

Now some serious changes to damage system and modding in general come and... What happens? How to incorporate Rivens from old damage system into a new one that's supposedly something completely different?

Stats on Rivens have already changed once since they were introduced, they can change again.

20 minutes ago, ChuckMaverick said:

Stats on Rivens have already changed once since they were introduced, they can change again.

They can, I know.

What I meant was the giant, massive butthurt from people who had to spend tons of plat / kuva to get their fantastic Rivens.

If ater the changes their Rivens won't be as good as now, they'll be very pissed.

First off, I don't think anyone who mentions "Damage 3.0" have any idea what it is besides some vague concept of what they think it should be. I'm pretty sure not even the developers have a concrete idea of what it will be or even what the end goals of it should be.

As best as I can tell, the introduction of Riven mods has no impact on whether "Damage 3.0" will happen, it makes adds an additional functionality to consider when and if it happens.

35 minutes ago, Inarticulate said:

First off, I don't think anyone who mentions "Damage 3.0" have any idea what it is besides some vague concept of what they think it should be. I'm pretty sure not even the developers have a concrete idea of what it will be or even what the end goals of it should be.

As best as I can tell, the introduction of Riven mods has no impact on whether "Damage 3.0" will happen, it makes adds an additional functionality to consider when and if it happens.

Riven mods limit what forms Damage 3.0 can take. For instance, Riven mods mean that Damage 3.0 will almost certainly not mean removing mandatory damage mods.