Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

My personal Apology to the Fans

IgnusDei

1 hour ago, Altairbex said:

They modified his work without his permission,that was his submission for their commission ( sick rhymes). If you look a little closer, you can tell they just erased some parts, and look at the proportions. Had they said that they wanted the mohawk it would have been fine. But they instead put things in there and edited it. That's like making a painting for someone and then when they take it they change all of the colors instead of asking you to do it instead. Technically it was concept art but it was not THEIRS to modify themselves. In the devstreams they even SAID Mynki was to have little interaction with Ignus's work no matter what.

Once you pay for a painting, you can doodle on it all you want. Thats how ownership works.

9 minutes ago, ImNotNuke said:

Welp couldn't find anywhere that said he made the frost deluxe that's being released. So no misinformation, could however find the one I linked, why would he have made 2?

He also didn't make Nova Asuri.

No it has been said that it was made by Ignus, or his IRL name, in devstream 81 around 50 minutes. 

10 hours ago, IgnusDei said:

Hey folks.

I #*($%%@ up.

I got too passionate. I butted heads with the art team and they butted back harder. I knew this was going to happen, but at the time, I really didn't care. Suffice to say, bridges got burned, bad.

I won't be able to design more deluxe skins for you any more.

I'm sorry.

Sincerely,

IgnusDei.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! YOUR SKINS WERE THE BEST!!!!!! WHHYYYY?!?

9 hours ago, The-Tective said:

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for the amazing Ash Koga Skin.

Oh and thank you for that beautiful Loki Deluxe Skin that we never got^^

Reveal hidden contents

luke_by_ignusdei-d6sfwov.jpg

I can kind of see why it didn't get accepted, or at least not as is. It feels too Western for Loki. Slap some 'chest' on it and give it some thiccness and it'd be a great Mesa Deluxe.

4 minutes ago, Filthy_Casualty said:

I can kind of see why it didn't get accepted, or at least not as is. It feels too Western for Loki. Slap some 'chest' on it and give it some thiccness and it'd be a great Mesa Deluxe.

It was not accepted because this was just fan-art of a Warframe he made. This art piece along with another one on his art station page (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/r9X22) are probably what caught DE's eyes to come out and contact him in the first place.

10 minutes ago, xRufus7x said:

Once you pay for a painting, you can doodle on it all you want. Thats how ownership works.

no.. you can buy a picture sure.. but not suddenly call edits and claim it as your own. this is not DA ...  it is still his art work. and no im not jabbing at DE here, im just telling how your statment was wrong there.   

so you can tell me. i could buy a poster from DE, and then edit it all i like, sure sure.. but then can i put it back up and say "this is what it was supposed to be" ? no no...  cant just do that buddy. like, i bought a game, but i cant edit or mod it how i see fit, DRM gets in the way and i go to jail.  now, onwards with the topic at hand.

If I would be a designer at DE I would not touch too heavily the fan concepts. The reason the artists put energy to make their vision and of I like that then I will try to represent that how the fan artist imagined. If I want to make my art then I design that as much as I like It. The problem with this Classic says It is their game simple is if They create a game They make It for players not for their pleasure only so They need to make compromises how They make the game. The key of success and be more profitable if They try to be good and listen peoples from outside and not handle their playerbase as cash cows. It can easily spoil their rep and playerbase will move along. Hopefully Ignus can do his job because he is good at It. I would have to do the same if I see how They touch my vision so I am sad when they touch heavily all nice concepts.

16 hours ago, Tesseract7777 said:

This was a big mistake from the design team to not take his passion more into account. 

People LOVE his skins. And people constantly cried for joy when they first saw his skins, and then cried in sadness when they saw how the art team "improved" them. Or rather, altered and removed much that was great about them. They way they ruined his concept for both Loki and Banshee and now Ember. It sounds to me like he didn't like how heavily they were changing his designs, and he got upset about it because he is passionate about his art. They gave the "well it's our game our say thing" and that probably annoyed him even more because he didn't feel his art was respected. So then probably more passionate words were exchanged. 

It's understandable, artists are extremely passionate about their work. We don't know exactly what happened, but I think DE perhaps shouldn't be working with outside designers on skin designs if they are not willing to trust that designers work, and instead want to alter it so so much from the original. 

Either way I will miss his designs -- also, it sounds like it isn't just his decision anymore. 

DE seriously screwed up then.

However a artist like IgnusDei can easily be hired by bigger companies who share his passion, DE is really making a huge mistake here.

This is really unfortunate and it's a sad state of affairs when it appears that the art team is so unwilling to budge on their seemingly pointless changes at all.  The revised ember looked worse and I can't blame him for taking a stand about it.  I feel like it's very telling about how much they actually care about the artists when something like this can even happen.

I never knew who was behind my favorite Rhino skin of all time until now, but his loss as a creator means DE is going to get less plat from me for sure since he makes clearly superior design options, in my opinion, that catch my eye.

9 minutes ago, proxyvirus said:

no.. you can buy a picture sure.. but not suddenly call edits and claim it as your own. this is not DA ...  it is still his art work. and no im not jabbing at DE here, im just telling how your statment was wrong there.   

so you can tell me. i could buy a poster from DE, and then edit it all i like, sure sure.. but then can i put it back up and say "this is what it was supposed to be" ? no no...  cant just do that buddy. like, i bought a game, but i cant edit or mod it how i see fit, DRM gets in the way and i go to jail.  now, onwards with the topic at hand.

That is not how contracts work though.

If someone contracts you to make something for them, the contractor has the final say in what the end product will look like. DE doesn't make the corrections directly, but tells whomever is making the skin that there should be revisions in order to keep a consistent art style. Ask anyone who makes a Tennogen skin, and they probably would have some story of DE rejecting the original design and a list of corrections that would be acceptable to make in it the game.

In this case, Ignus probably did not want to make any corrections and fought back against any correction, but was forced by DE to make the corrections if he wanted to see the skin make it into the game. This probably wasn't the first time he has done it, but this time was that final strike. 

This has always been the nature of the beast for many artist. Look how the original Dark Sector to what it actually turned out to be. Imagine how Mynki felt to have his artwork change from cool space ninjas to generic military man with a spice of sci-fi. Artist designs are rarely the original design and takes many revisions to come up with a design that pleases everyone, and either you suck it up, or you attempt to fight back and risk losing it all.

17 minutes ago, proxyvirus said:

They contracted him to make a concept for him. Once he hands over the concept it is theirs legally and they can do what they wish with it. So yes they absolutely can. That is how this type of work works. 

6 hours ago, AtroSpiker said:

DE seriously screwed up then.

However a artist like IgnusDei can easily be hired by bigger companies who share his passion, DE is really making a huge mistake here.

They have indeed but hopefully with the insane amount of support here.

They will reconsider the decision to let IG go (leave) and stop messing with his work. Their need to make their own mark on his work has been pretty bad.

His skins are a huge reason why i played some frames again.....😕

5 hours ago, Rekkou said:

You might want to turn down your passion quite a bit, because this is a regular process on any game industry. And the changes seems very justifiable so far, simplifying small details that will take up quite a lot of polys anyway despite being small and redistribute them to the more bare area. In this case small spikes -> skirt. I'm actually most surprised that they didn't change a thing about the asymmetry because that's the most problematic parts. Asymmetry took more time to be made, took more spaces in UV map and might ended up having lower res if DE didn't choose to up the resolution instead.

I suggest any pro concept artist or any aspiring artist that wants to work in game industry to learn a bit more about 3D. Least you'll learn why the design needs to be changed, it's not just about passion butting. Best you will learn how to make design that translates better to 3D models and make your design more easily acceptable in the industry.

Yeah, thank you Rekkou!

The initial design might seem better on paper, but I suspect there were problems in translating it into 3d.

Warframe is about crisp, clean designs, if you look at the other IgnusDei implementations they are detailed but clean with nice planes woven together.

Looking at the revisions, that thing on her elbow is an armor piece, like on the Frost deluxe elbows. It gives her an armored feel.

The reason they added the waist thing is probably more to marry her left side to her right than to 'censor pseudonudity'....IgnusDei's initial concept creates too much of an imbalance in the skin's symmetry with a very detailed left and a stark and plain right. It wouldn't take to well in a 3d model. For good assymmetry look at Loki's deluxe. One side is obviously more ornate yet the other side is balanced out by a different kind of detail.

As for the blade...it was probably to preserve a 'crest' theme synonymous with Ember's designs and to create some sharpness to the silhouette. 

When somone comissions an artist, the customer's preference is law. In the industry this is how it works, You might think your work is perfect but the head designer is going to revise and make your work fit into his/her artistic vision. In terms of aesthetic, game is about creating a cohesive whole, not a smattering of standouts.

@IgnusDei I am so sorry to see you go. Waking up to this was like waking up to hear my parents had divorced while I was sleeping. Hope you guys can patch it up in the future and make some more great works. Loved your work so far.

Not sure if it's better for DE to remain silent and let the speculation run out of control...

Or for them to give some incite into what happened, and get a community blasting... (because we all know that's what will happen)...

I guess they will stick to the former...

Edited by Carnage2K4

2 minutes ago, Carnage2K4 said:

Not sure if it's better for DE to remain silent and let the speculation run out of control...

Or for them to give some incite into what happened, and get a community blasting... (because we all know that's what will happen)...

I guess they will stick to the former...

Its a smart move to remain silent, fanning the flames no matter how right or wrong they are wont do well.

If they don't like the original design, they shouldn't change it at all, they can just contract someone else. Altering another individual's design in ways they don't approve is massive disrespect, regardless of whether you own the game or not. Just contract someone else or make the damn deluxe skin yourself. Thank you for your contributions and hopefully you'll receive work with people who respect your vision.

8 hours ago, Tormound said:

Sorry buddy. Yeah it was designed by someone else, would explain why it's so bad compared to the other deluxe skins.

He designed the Rhino Palatine, Trinity Strega, Loki Knave, Banshee Deluxe, Oberon Feyarch, Ash Koga, Frost Deluxe , Mag Deluxe, and Ember.

Oh well no big deal then. Those are only 9 of my favorite skins in the game so... =p

(with the others being TennoGen)

:_(

So then I guess I can just hope that maybe we'll get to see some ID stuff as TennoGen then? Maybe, hopefully?

Edited by Rolunde

4 hours ago, DawnFalcon said:

That's a shame.

I only also just realized, IgnusDei, that you're the same guy I did some homeworld 2 modding with waay back when before I was a professional game designer.

Hey Dawn, fancy meeting you here, of all places, of all the times :)

Nice to hear you went pro. What are you working on?

11 hours ago, baby_rapt0r said:

that was the original knave skin??

Nope, it was a concept he made before Loki Knave skin (a year before i guess?). But when i look at that concept i always see it as a Loki Deluxe skin. It fits Loki's theme perfectly. I'm fine with Loki Knave skin, but i don't like the chest piece of it (the only thing that bothers me and i can't even hide it with armor cause it still looks strange). But that concept for Luke looks better as Loki Deluxe skin in my opinion.