Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why do people care about kill count?

(XBOX)Babadookcf

As the title says, why do some people care so much about kill count when, in warframe, it's just a statistics. There is no better reward for that player nor is there for those who receive the lowest damage done to them. And so honestly, why? Is it for ego?  The missions in warframe has an end goal. To finish it. And if a player finds an efficient way to do it, then all the more convenience to the others. Because in the end, the rewards are all the same. 

I believe it's unfair to use kill count to justify whether a frame should be nerfed. 

Because some people care about statistics (i do), some don't (you don't).

We may be playing for different reasons and there are different things that motivate us to do stuff ingame. That's not a problem, as far as I know. And I'm nearly convinced that DE doesn't take into account the kill count on exterminates to balance the game.

Edited by Chewarette

Then let me ask you this: why do you want the rewards? Why we always want better and better gear and mods? To gaze upon them and say how shiny they are?

No, it's because we want more power. This is a game where everything you do converges in one point: killing the enemies. The better you are able to do that, the better your in-game performance for everything will be.

I am not playing this game to collect the rewards anymore. I must have spend hundreds of hours on doing test and research about which builds come on top even by just a little bit in order to increase my power as much as possible. That is the only end-game.

Edited by -BM-Leonhart

I think its more to do with the fact that people who kill everything on the map are detracting from others fun. People enjoy killing things, thats why Simulor Mirages and Embers get so much grief - its understandable when you want to play a map and you are jsut running after a Mirage picking up resources from their kills

Edited by (XB1)Tyreal2012

4 minutes ago, DeltaPhantom said:

"Epeen", and the sense that if you can get all the kills, you must be more effective than everyone else. Problem is, there's lots of factors at play, and kill counts alone amount to nothing.

This. Some people just can't get over their Ego.

5 minutes ago, ArcticMantis said:

I've never met anyone that cared about kill count.

(Conclave K/D aside)

I've never either but there seem to be a lot on forums. I was just really curious because I can't seem to understand. But maybe it's just all about perspective. 

Edited by (XB1)Babadookcf

5 minutes ago, Chewarette said:

Because some people care about statistics (i do), some don't (you don't).

We may be playing for different reasons and there are different things that motivate us to do stuff ingame. That's not a problem, as far as I know. And I'm nearly convinced that DE doesn't take into account the kill count on exterminates to balance the game.

No, definitely not a problem but I just read some topics on forums who argue over kill counts and such. And honestly, it's just there. I guess I just don't get it. 

22 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Babadookcf said:

The missions in warframe has an end goal. To finish it.

...And to have fun playing through it. Which (for most players) involves killing stuff and feeling like they contributed to the team.

One of the reasons that people complain about kills at the end of missions, especially when things like Simulor Mirages and Embers are involved, and especially on PuG Exterminate missions, is that players dont always view these missions as just a task that needs to be completed. They don't view it as a chore, but as a fun activity.

And when someone like a MiraMulor or Ember user decides they just want the mission over with faster, it often robs the rest of the squad of that experience, that feeling of contribution, even just feeling like a badass space-ninja. So yeah, I think it's understandable for people to complain when the actions of one squad member turn the game into a walking simulator for the rest of the squad, and deprives them of a core element of the game (the combat). 

Efficiency isn't everything. If all someone wants out of a mission is for it to be over already, I have to ask why they are playing this game in the first place.

Edited by Jackviator

8 minutes ago, DeltaPhantom said:

"Epeen", and the sense that if you can get all the kills, you must be more effective than everyone else. Problem is, there's lots of factors at play, and kill counts alone amount to nothing.

No idea what epeen is but yes I agree. But I probably just see warframe with a different lens that these things don't bother me. 

11 minutes ago, -BM-Leonhart said:

Then let me ask you this: why do you want the rewards? Why we always want better and better gear and mods? To gaze upon them and say how shiny they are?

No, it's because we want more power. This is a game where everything you do converges in one point: killing the enemies. The better you are able to do that, the better your in-game performance for everything will be.

I am not playing this game to collect the rewards anymore. I must have spend hundreds of hours on doing test and research about which builds come on top even by just a little bit in order to increase my power as much as possible. That is the only end-game.

Well yes, in a sense we all want power. To mod our weapons so we can kill every single enemy on sight with ease. And again, being efficient in these missions. Kudos to you for finding those builds and moreso, for your teammates because you become the powerhouse of the team, making the missions go smoother. 

And if power is what you seek then perhaps the damage dealt is the statistics for you. Not the kill count. 

It seems you are an outlier as most players do play for the rewards for many reasons. Not all, but most. 

19 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Tyreal2012 said:

I think its more to do with the fact that people who kill everything on the map are detracting from others fun. People enjoy killing things, thats why Simulor Mirages and Embers get so much grief - its understandable when you want to play a map and you are jsut running after a Mirage picking up resources from their kills

I understand this standpoint very well as I have been at both end of the spectrum. But honestly it doesn't bother me at all if the enemies are already dealth with. It makes it easier for the rest of us. And I do believe there are options to avoid it, playing solo or with clanmates. 

Maybe the reason is just perspective. Not everyone who plays warframe view the same as I do. 

14 minutes ago, KoboldMKB said:

When my friend and I go on, we place bets like "whoever gets more kills gets X plat" or something. It's for fun.

That's one way to put it. But again that's friendly competition amongst friends. There are some people who get really worked up about kill counts and I think it's not really that big of an issue. 

1 minute ago, (Xbox One)Babadookcf said:

I understand this standpoint very well as I have been at both end of the spectrum. But honestly it doesn't bother me at all if the enemies are already dealth with. It makes it easier for the rest of us. And I do believe there are options to avoid it, playing solo or with clanmates. 

Maybe the reason is just perspective. Not everyone who plays warframe view the same as I do. 

It only bothers me when im trying to rank up weapons and I have a get 10 Headshots or Kill 30 enemies with a 3 hour affinity booster lol

Because its a good statistic info.

If in a squad of 4 people with different gear, all of who are equally skilled one of them gets 55% KC while others get 15% each while trying their best - the first one was obviosly using the superior gear and / or tactics. Which gives a good food for thought.

3 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Babadookcf said:

And if power is what you seek then perhaps the damage dealt is the statistics for you. Not the kill count. 

The kill count and damage dealt are in appearance different, but in essence they are the same.

If you were to look at someone's profile and see that he has 12 million enemy kills (yes, there are rare players like that), what would you think? The first thing that comes to mind is that the player is "strong", right?

That is the thing, the damage dealt is seen at the end of the screen, but the kill count stays forever on the account as a milestone of one's accomplishments. When the kill count is high, you will know the player is experienced and has been through may battles.

Like mentioned before, me and my buddy like to have damage completions. But beyond that it really doesn't mean much. Of course a damage frame is going to do more damage than a support frame. Of course a veteran player is going to do more than a new player. 

People that compare damage to the whole team, I find are very narrow minded people and fail to see the bigger picture.

that being said I will say that I can be found comparing myself to anouther ember in the group if I'm playing mine. What can I say. No one is perfect. 

1 minute ago, NightBlitz said:

im assuming this is about ember, to which i have this to say:

we want to kill things too you know, its not about the statistics, its about wanting to actually play rather than just follow the ember the whole time

Ember does have the monopoly in the low levels, but that never bothered me. After all, an Ember can never out-damage me once the enemies are lvl 60+.