Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why can't I gift or get a gift from tennogen?

Iresark

I really don't understand, if someone has already pay for the item, why cannot be given/trade?

This is different than "been able to buy it ingame" because the first step its still -and always will be-paying with real money.

Sorry for bad english

1 minute ago, MobyTheDuck said:

I still dont get it why Tennogen items arent also tied to your Steam Inventory.

The Rubedo and Phased skins work, so you would guess they could make Tennogen stuff into Steam items like these skins and let players trade them.

The rubedo and phased skins were given as a bonus for purchases and could be traded. Tennogen does pay the creator a portion of the profits. Having it available to trade or throw it onto the market takes away the value.

8 minutes ago, Iresark said:

but why? If you already pay for them

Let's say someone buys them in surplus, then puts them onto the steam community market for less than half their value. What incentive do you have to pay the creators and DE for cosmetics?

Granted that if someone does this, they're giving money to the people that created the skins, but over time it'll lower the value of the item. Trading could potentially just be a scam in wait since the value of items that are tradeable are different based on regional currency.

Edited by SurrealEdge

20 minutes ago, MobyTheDuck said:

I still dont get it why Tennogen items arent also tied to your Steam Inventory.

The Rubedo and Phased skins work, so you would guess they could make Tennogen stuff into Steam items like these skins and let players trade them.

Because essentially, you're purchasing DLC for the game and when you purchase it, it ties the DLC to the account that bought it. They could make it work if they wanted to though.

As others have said, the short answer is because Steam needs to find a way to implement gift giving for situations like this. 

Hopefully they do in the future. 

Unfortunately, with the way the whole linked to Steam account works for Tennogen items, I don't think there is actually anything DE could do (aside from lobbying Steam to make a way to do it). 

Edited by Tesseract7777

1 hour ago, SurrealEdge said:

Let's say someone buys them in surplus, then puts them onto the steam community market for less than half their value. What incentive do you have to pay the creators and DE for cosmetics?

Just to point this out: Thats not logical. If someone buys them in large quantities they already pay the content creators with this. So if you buy an item from such a person the content creator already was paid. Steam also keeps a share of the money gained from trading and part of the share is getting transfered to game companys. Which means in theorie if these items would be available on the market DE could get a share from the trades. However the reason why they are not market able is the same as why cosmetics in game are not tradeable, they want everyone interested to buy one and prevent ppl from reselling ones they no longer like.

6 minutes ago, Xebov said:

Just to point this out: Thats not logical. If someone buys them in large quantities they already pay the content creators with this. So if you buy an item from such a person the content creator already was paid. Steam also keeps a share of the money gained from trading and part of the share is getting transfered to game companys. Which means in theorie if these items would be available on the market DE could get a share from the trades. However the reason why they are not market able is the same as why cosmetics in game are not tradeable, they want everyone interested to buy one and prevent ppl from reselling ones they no longer like.

^This

4 minutes ago, Xebov said:

It may not be logical, but you pointed that out in your last sentence. There would be a larger market for reselling skins they no longer use, and as far as I'm aware reselling and the extra bit of costs needed to sell something on the market is only a miniscule amount of money.

Last I recall, steam takes a larger cut from all of this with the leftovers going to DE and the creator. It does, in effect, give the creators little to no pay should reselling a skin be an option, lest it doesn't become over saturated.

13 hours ago, SurrealEdge said:

Granted that if someone does this, they're giving money to the people that created the skins, but over time it'll lower the value of the item. Trading could potentially just be a scam in wait since the value of items that are tradeable are different based on regional currency.

Tecnically, the people that bought the skins in surplus already paid both DE and the creator.

If for some reason that person would put the items to sell years later on the Steam Market for half the price, basically burning money away, I believe the price has a small tax that is given to both Valve and the creators of the game.

Either way, Valve and DE would get a share twice per item and the creator already got his share when the player first bought the item. And since there are no ways to get the Tennogen items for free (other than being the one that made them), there is no way that the creator wouldnt get his share.

Also, I'm not saying anything about letting people sell the skins on Steam, just being able to trade them or maybe being able to gift them to other users (as long they have a Steam account)

Edited by MobyTheDuck