Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Explain to me like I am 5! Volt's Discharge

ZiLei

Question

Hi! Can someone please explain to me how Volt's Discharge work?

I am trying for a maximum range and cc build...

this is my current build:

ELu904u.jpg

dns7qQa.jpg

This build has server me well for like the past few months before the Nidus update... I would able to stun lock enemy across the map, but after after I finally finished putting Forma in Nidus, and try out sorties today... The stun lock only last like 2 seconds?!

Did volt get nerfed? or is my build messed up.... I am so confused on how volt's Discharge is suppose to work... Like what is the point of power duration at all?!

Edited by ZiLei
Discharge not Overload = my bad

11 answers to this question

As said, Discharge has an obnoxious Damage cap per enemy which is affected by Power Strength.

The damage it does per arc is also affected by Power Strength.

Together they run in tangent with each other meaning more Power Strength does not give you more CC except against armored enemies.

This is why most Volt's in CC spec will just spam the ability unless they're fighting armored enemies. Even so, it can be unreliable since different enemies have different mitigation and will become free of the CC. Duration affects how long they will remain CC'd but so does the damage cap. It's been designed in a way that it's not really possible to get good CC out of it without just spamming it like hell.

The damage cap is the health, BUT the reason why it's consistent is because enemies close to each other hurt each other, adding damage closer to the damage cap. If an enemy gets hit three times (next to others) they can pretty much snap out of the electric stun right away. Armored enemies like the Grineer diminish the damage, so the stuns are longer, against corpus, it's kinda neutral and for Infested, the group up together, it's absolutely appalling.

They really should just remove the cap and cap the time itself to something more fitting. It doesn't really break anything at lower games, since things are mostly dead, but it would keep stuff from freeing themselves from CC when the stun is required due to how dangerous the enemies are.

44 minutes ago, (PS4)CaptainIMalik said:

Discharge confuses me sometimes too

P.S wouldn't 40% cripple your Speed by a lot?

Yes it would...but I do have a speed build

15 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

As said, Discharge has an obnoxious Damage cap per enemy which is affected by Power Strength.

The damage it does per arc is also affected by Power Strength.

Together they run in tangent with each other meaning more Power Strength does not give you more CC except against armored enemies.

This is why most Volt's in CC spec will just spam the ability unless they're fighting armored enemies. Even so, it can be unreliable since different enemies have different mitigation and will become free of the CC. Duration affects how long they will remain CC'd but so does the damage cap. It's been designed in a way that it's not really possible to get good CC out of it without just spamming it like hell.

True.. I see bigger damage on shield enemies... Thus Discharge stun duration only last like 2 seconds... But yes armor enemies stay stunned alot longer... 

11 minutes ago, TheLocalHentai said:

The damage cap is the health, BUT the reason why it's consistent is because enemies close to each other hurt each other, adding damage closer to the damage cap. If an enemy gets hit three times (next to others) they can pretty much snap out of the electric stun right away. Armored enemies like the Grineer diminish the damage, so the stuns are longer, against corpus, it's kinda neutral and for Infested, the group up together, it's absolutely appalling.

They really should just remove the cap and cap the time itself to something more fitting. It doesn't really break anything at lower games, since things are mostly dead, but it would keep stuff from freeing themselves from CC when the stun is required due to how dangerous the enemies are.

I see! Thanks everyone for your answers! 

2 hours ago, AdunSaveMe said:

Discharge (egh) has a damage cap, for some ridiculous and inexplicable reason which DE refuses to share.

I'm not DE but I can pretty reasonably guess that the crowd control aspect was meant to be a way to let the ability still be somewhat useful when it fails to kill an enemy, not to be the entire focus of a build.

1 hour ago, Momaw said:

I'm not DE but I can pretty reasonably guess that the crowd control aspect was meant to be a way to let the ability still be somewhat useful when it fails to kill an enemy, not to be the entire focus of a build.

Which might work if this game was completely different. It doesn't work as a CC ability, and it doesn't work as a damage ability. It fails to work as a hybrid. It fails to add anything significant to his kit. It fails to scale into higher level content unless you don't play on killing enemies. What's more, it fails utterly in comparison to the many abilities that can actually do crowd control, damage, or both, to a much greater extent.

Edited by AdunSaveMe