Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoilers] SoTR has altered story progression in a wrong way

Xaero

I'm talking about Alad's story.

How does story progression look to those who started (and kept on) playing at least before Breeding Grounds operation introduction:

1) Alad gets infected, tries to convince us this is a good thing [Breeding Grounds operation followed by Mutalist Incursions operation and Patient Zero quest];

2) Alad is not happy anymore about turning into an infested being and asks us to help him finding a cure [Tubemen of Regor operation];

3) Alad is more or less cured and takes part in TSD quest helping us find Lotus' father remains [The Second Dream quest];

4) Alad seeks our protection from Stalker's Acolytes [Shadow Debt operation].

How does progression look to those who started playing after Specters of the Rail update:

1) Alad helps us in TSD being partially infected [The Second Dream quest];

2) Alad turns infested and tries to convince us this is a good thing. End of the story [Patient Zero quest that requires completing TSD first].

The other problem is that some time-limited operations contain crucial plot twists. New players don't get the full story and even that what remains is given in the wrong order.

Edited by Ksaero

Yeah it's definitely weird and disjointed. I started playing when the SoTR patch went live and don't really get some of the stuff Alad talks about. He mentions in Second Dream that our past has been combative but I've only seen him once in a short boss fight. I have no past experiences with him so to me he's just a random NPC talking about stuff that never happened. I'd love it if they brought some of those events back. I hate missing out on lore/story stuff.

You forgot to mention that alad V goes back and forth between being infected and cured in the sorties...it seems that he cant decide if he wants to be infected or not, it looks like when he is infected he wants to be cured and when he is cured he seems to want to be infected again, which ends up with him curing and infecting himself over and over and over again XD

Wait.. *bleep* I started playing about 10 months ago, and I genuinely thought the two step version was the actual story

The bits about Alad NOT being in love with the infection are completely missing for me, and I thought cured-Alad in the second dream was just DE playing loose with the canon.

• 1 month later...

Gonna stop by and one-up this thread. I've gotta say, I'm a sucker for lore, and even though I filled in a few of these plot holes myself through browsing of the wiki, I think it would be a huge improvement if these events were incorporated into the base game. I don't think it would require too much extra work, as the code for all of these operations is undoubtedly still there. A little bit of tweaking into a more quest-type thing, and voila! instant lore. 

And, I know you're just talking alad v here, but there's a few other plot holes that I encountered when I first started playing as well: notably, the fomorian event, as well as most things regarding nef anyo. The index sort of fixed nef anyo, but I'm pretty sure there's a ton of lore I don't know about him still, mainly why he's obsessed with worshipping the void.

2 hours ago, redeyedtreefrog said:

And, I know you're just talking alad v here, but there's a few other plot holes that I encountered when I first started playing as well: notably, the fomorian event, as well as most things regarding nef anyo. 

Some of old events contained important plot details also introducing new game modes, Gradivus Dilemma, Tetra's Doom, for example. Maroo's quest was implemented to introduce players with updated spy missions as well, and now it just serves nothing.