Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Question About Builds

(PSN)Gwyndolin_Grey

Question

Hello Tenno! I've got a question about Builds. Seeing as they are a vital part of the game, I figured it'd be good to know the basics of what makes a good build. So, I ask you, fellow Tenno, what makes a Build 'good'? Viability? Versatility? Being fun? A mixture of these things? 

Im still pretty New to the game, so I'm pretty clueless haha. 

15 answers to this question

That is such a vague question. Every weapon type and frame have their own unique build and some frames have more than one option to pick from.

If you narrow it down, we can help you.

Example : "What is a good build for a X bow?" "What is a good build for X frame ?"

Edited by White_Matter

On trinity you have 2 choices, either bless (4'th ability) build or ev (second ability) build and they are completely different. Ev requires negative duration, power str and range while bless requires mainly high duration with bit of power str (145 if I remember correctly).

On frost you have few choices depending what you are into.

In short you build for whatever ability you decided to take most advantage of.

Edited by ViS4GE

Depends on which Warframe you're using and which skill(s) you're leveraging to make content easier.  Some frames excel at damage (Saryn and Ember), some excel at cc (Nova and Vauban), some excel with support (Frost and Banshee), and others excel with utility (Loki and Nekros).  On top of that some frames do a combination of damage, cc, support, and utility.  The idea is to find a frame that best fits the situation at hand.

Edited by (PS4)Magician_NG

There really isn't one, other than "Don't do pointless things like putting crit mods on a weapon that literally cannot crit." Other than that, feel free to go ham. I frequently go into Dark Sector Survivals as Mag Prime, and immediately switch to my melee, Destreza, and just slice and dice the entire mission. I usually come out doing pretty well to.

If you can make it work, it's good for you.

40 minutes ago, ViS4GE said:

On trinity you have 2 choices, either bless (4'th ability) build or ev (second ability) build and they are completely different. Ev requires negative duration, power str and range while bless requires mainly high duration with bit of power str (145 if I remember correctly).

On frost you have few choices depending what you are into.

In short you build for whatever ability you decided to take most advantage of.

Those 2 build are not the only builds for trin, I mostly run a Link build for survivability using the augment makes armored enemies way easier without CP, and at base can allow for your team to only have 3 CP's leaving one spot open for a rifle amp or energy siphon or whatever.

No real answers here cos there aren't any. A good build is one that plays to the strengths of the frame and how you play that frame.

You say you're clueless so here's some tips on what you can do and what to look at.

Firstly, all mods are percentage based which generally means that sticking mods on low stats is a waste of time. Say, for example, a warframe's armor buffed with 100% Steel Fiber. On a frame like Frost with 300 armor that's gonna add 300 armor making 600 armor and is going to have an effect, whereas on a frame like Banshee with 15 armor that's gonna add 15 armor making 30 armor which really isn't going to have much of an effect. So, straight away the stats of the Warframe dictate what type of build is worth going for. Want a tanky Frost? Stick on Steel Fiber. Want a tanky Banshee? Don't bother.

Also note that Vitality (health) and Redirection (shields) only effect the base stat (level 1 stat) not the max stat (level 30 stat). So a 100% Vitality on level 1 Frost will have 100+100=200 health and a 100% Vitality on level 30 Frost will have 300+100=400 health (not 300+300=600 health).

Then there's your powers to worry about. The best thing to do here is go to your Warframe's abilities screen (in your arsenal with warframe selected it'll tell you button to press to view abilities, R2 on PS4) and in there you can view your Warframe's ability stats with or without mods attached (again, there's a button to press that should be on the screen to tell you how, it's square on PS4). That way you can put on and take off mods to see exactly how they are effecting your frame's abilities and aim for the mods that effect the abilities you use. You will hopefully identify some area that you can ignore to free up space for other mods (for example I've got a very selfish Rhino build that concentrates on his iron skin so screw any power range boosting mods like Stretch).

The main thing is though that unless you stick a Reactor in your then you're pretty limited with the 30 capacity (plus whatever you can get out of an aura, so maybe up to 48). The polarities of the frame become very important to squeeze the most out of the frame and again those polarities will point towards the type of build you should be going for with that frame (i.e. 2  vazarin polarities and you're gonna go tanky). Once you stick a Reactor in and get that double capacity you can really start to play around with build types and start to stick in the more varied mods (i.e. something like Armored Agility. You ain't gonna waste that capacity on a mod like that instead of Intensify without a Reactor).

Ultimately, play around with it. Try things. Test them. Find out what works and what doesn't. You'll learn,

Edited by (PS4)drpunk-yo