The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So... Damage 3.0

AshenHaze

Question

So I thought the original plan with Damage 3.0 was to basically remove the need for the 'mandatory' damage mods such as Serration, Point Blank, etc.

Now I hear on the forums that word on the grapevine is that DE doesn't want to do that anymore because of Grandmasters *@##$ing that it's "too cruel" to remove these mods after they've spent soo much time turning their lvl 0 Serration into a Max Serration. Firstly, I'd like to say that I have nearly maxed damage mods and I would honestly be happy (even with no compensation for resources spent whatsoever) to just f*ckin remove them so I can put something with more utility in it's place. Hell, if weapons only had five mod slots but they were just for utility (while damage type would be altered in a different way) that would be right up my alley too.

I have a feeling, sadly, that DE is going to backpedal so hard on themselves that all they'll do is add mod slots to weapons. Which I think is the lazy copout personally. Honestly, all you ever see on builds are the mods that raise base damage, damage types, and multishot. That's it. That's what it always is unless it's a crit or status weapon.

Personally, I'd like to see a poll who is fine with losing their max rank damage mods in favor of a more streamlined system. I'd rather have mods do something unique and different to a weapon, such as the Thunderbolt mod or the specific weapon mods, than just more damage mods and etc. I'd rather have something else that allows...ya know...actual customization. I can't be alone in this...am I?

19 answers to this question

DE will just break the last bit of balance the game has, and won't remove these mandatory mods because they want to "honour people who farmed to level them up" or something.

Because having 6 slots on all primary and 5 on all secondary is absolutely how "modding" should work.

11 minutes ago, Askell91 said:

You know how hard it was in the ancient times to max a Serration? You made this post so im sure you don't. Can't agree with you.

I do know, but I don't care.

8 minutes ago, Trichouette said:

DE will just break the last bit of balance the game has, and won't remove these mandatory mods because they want to "honour people who farmed to level them up" or something.

Because having 6 slots on all primary and 5 on all secondary is absolutely how "modding" should work.

How do you have that many slots to freely mod your gun? Not using elemental mods or crit mods? I get at most 2 slots that I can use for a "personal touch".

Just now, Tyrian3k said:

How do you have that many slots to freely mod your gun? Not using elemental mods or crit mods? I get at most 2 slots that I can use for a "personal touch".

What I meant here is that crit / elemental mods aren't "mandatory", simply because they aren't worth puting on every weapon.

However multishot and the base damage mod IS mandatory in every way, so... 6 slots. (or 5 if you use the other multishot mod on secondary)

Still waiting for the multishot nerf

Grandmasters *@##$ing that it's "too cruel" to remove these mods after they've spent soo much time turning their lvl 0 Serration into a Max Serration

I'm sorry what...

Firstly Damage 3.0 was in the very early design stage. It would be great to remove mandatory mods, but in my opinion that would also a fair amount of the freedom and challenge of the large mods. The issue is Damage vs Utility. People would use utility more if the damage wasn't such a priority. IT's a massive priority due to the wonky scaling on enemy health/armor with levels. They wished to remove the mandatory mods but why not address the reason they are mandatory, or at least lessen the impact. 

What I'm trying to say, is there's more than one way to skin a cat and nothing in warframe is finalised. Not even the cat.

5 minutes ago, Trichouette said:

What I meant here is that crit / elemental mods aren't "mandatory", simply because they aren't worth puting on every weapon.

However multishot and the base damage mod IS mandatory in every way, so... 6 slots. (or 5 if you use the other multishot mod on secondary)

Still waiting for the multishot nerf

Well, they are still mandatory on the weapons you do put them on. I haven't really seen any builds where not at least 4 mod slots were filled with elemental mods or crit mods.

4 minutes ago, BritishBob said:

What I'm trying to say, is there's more than one way to skin a cat and nothing in warframe is finalised. Not even the cat.

How do you even know it's a cat?:scared:

Edited by Tyrian3k

Just now, Tyrian3k said:

Well, they are still mandatory on the weapons you do put them on. I haven't really seen any builds where not at least 4 mod slots were filled with elemental mods or crit mods.

Yes but they depend on the kind of enemy you want to fight.

I do agree that elemental mods shouldn't increase the damage, my suggestion would be to make them switch the damage type (example a +100% toxin mod would remove P/I/S and instead all the damage would be toxin)

Even though a weapon with crit is better with a crit mod, the crit chance mod isn't "mandatory" for all weapons.

But I see what you mean here.

The base damage mods exist as a progression indicator for new players.

Unlike the progression from ranking a single piece of equipment from unranked to rank 30, it takes a lot longer to rank a 10-rank mod from unranked to rank 10.

Additionally, as a player ranks their base damage mods, all weapons of that type in their arsenal are made stronger, cementing that feeling of progression.

Moving the base damage increase from the modding system into ranking up an individual weapon reduces the amount of vertical progression in the game.

I went more in depth here:

2 hours ago, BritishBob said:

I'm sorry what...

Firstly Damage 3.0 was in the very early design stage. It would be great to remove mandatory mods, but in my opinion that would also a fair amount of the freedom and challenge of the large mods. The issue is Damage vs Utility. People would use utility more if the damage wasn't such a priority. IT's a massive priority due to the wonky scaling on enemy health/armor with levels. They wished to remove the mandatory mods but why not address the reason they are mandatory, or at least lessen the impact. 

Yeah and if they just lower resistances people will still go to the damage mods on sheer impulse alone because they'll still kill stuff quicker. The only real option is to remove the option and just do some simple rescaling by adjusting multiplicative values.

2 hours ago, Askell91 said:

You know how hard it was in the ancient times to max a Serration? You made this post so im sure you don't. Can't agree with you.

Yeah and that was ancient times.

A long time ago.

No one cares.

This game needs to be more accessible and desirable to new players too, not just the old farts that enjoy spending 8 hours a day doing the same thing over and over and over. I have classes and two jobs for that sh*t.

59 minutes ago, AshenHaze said:

Yeah and that was ancient times.

A long time ago.

No one cares.

This game needs to be more accessible and desirable to new players too, not just the old farts that enjoy spending 8 hours a day doing the same thing over and over and over. I have classes and two jobs for that sh*t.

Sorry but if this gets even easier for the sake of the "casuals and new players" ..it will be hard to call it a game. You want everything on a silver plate with an apple in its mouth? Ey go to Trade chat or Warframemarket than just stand there and look out of that window. You don't care about others who work for theyr own stuff? Fine. Nobody cares about your classes and two jobs either. (if you had that much on your hand id like to recomend you another game what doesen't requires time and effort. gl)

The main issue I see is the community is split in two. One side is keeping it and keeping the crappy progression and stunted mod customization.The other is making them built in making a more mod customization and better progression. Why do people go with keeping them again?

My idea is a skill Tree like System but I can Share also a mod System like. Now Just copy paste the Champions online gear system. There are separated gears like utility damage and hp. Each has It slots and gives multiple stat boosts but not so deeply meaningful. In warframe could work a similar lets just say 12 slot.

This 12 separated into 3 category the exact same like in Champions Online. You have 4 slots each category so there are fixed rooms how much mods you can use in the same time. This can fix for a while the powercreep and provide more variety for builds. Same with warframe there are 12 plus 1 for aura but the slots fixed and can contain the equivalent of weapon mods like hp uti ability.

This can apply all and this could make the mod balancing a bit easier because of categories. Then you can tone down a bit the pure dmg.

12 hours ago, AshenHaze said:

Yeah and if they just lower resistances people will still go to the damage mods on sheer impulse alone because they'll still kill stuff quicker. The only real option is to remove the option and just do some simple rescaling by adjusting multiplicative values.

To me utility =/= mean resists. Less resists mean more damage. I would class utility like stagger, knockdown or punch though. 

That would mean additional mods and changes to the way they effect enemies.

Which would require a rework of the way enemies work and the way mods interact with them, which could be indicated by the switch from mandatory mods to enemy scaling ect for damage 3.0 indicated in the stream.

On 1/12/2017 at 5:27 PM, TentownsRaid said:

The main issue I see is the community is split in two. One side is keeping it and keeping the crappy progression and stunted mod customization.The other is making them built in making a more mod customization and better progression. Why do people go with keeping them again?

Bitter grandmasters and people like Askell91.

Edited by AshenHaze