Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What did you think warframe was like before even playing it?

swift4ace

First impression

Graphics I think are a huge aspect of the game, I think a huge portion of players were drawn to the game's appearance at first, along with that; flashy -fast- paced action 3rd person shooter thrill. From my initial impression on Warframe I was expecting something different, from seeing the tenno in customization menu and rank # top left I assumed it was like sci-fi 3rd person shooter. From that standpoint I assumed I would get XP from missions towards my rank....Based on some mission score.....and weapons to work the same way as call of duty....black ops 3, unlocking attachments for them along with weapon achievements. I expected this game to Be more sci-fi then it actually is, being able to modify warframe(attachments) I assumed I could unlock warframe attachments "ultra respirator" item and install it into my warframe to physically alter the appearance and performance of the warframe - more about the SCI-FI clearly defined, sleek, shiny, flashy, Weapons having attachments like scopes, stocks,..because it's a modern shooter game...with rpg elements.

instead it's riddled in RNG elements. Kinda awkward to pick up at first. This game expects you to put hundreds of hours of " grinding" using weapons that aren't interesting, warframes that aren't interesting to gain mastery points for rank. There is not enough actual "you depth".  There is not enough things many people have grown to accept in “modern shooter game with rpg elements” like attachments for weapons to increase their performance alongside current mod system... depth... prime warframes i think was waste of time, should have just released deluxe skins for each frame, added a lot more depth to missions, PVP, archwing/, balance in general. Instead the prime content is just aiding to people constantly begging for "their" warframe improvement as (if) they ARE restricted/rewarded to just playing "their" warframe. Huge part of that is actually the case though, this game greatly rewards you to invest time into one warframe, to put at least a few forma on it, a potato, because those are the rewarding things about it, making your warframe stronger. This game has a mastery system on the other hand that has some effect on equipment requirements, riven mods that reward you for leveling weapons, warframes, and ...everything 1 time, This requires crafting - buying of weapons just for mastery rank, even if I have zero interest in using them, I am happy using a few frames for a long time, to basically "max them out", that is gaming strategy I enjoy, along with many others.  I would like to see DE Blend those two,  Allow us Tenno to gain mastery rank points based on performance in missions/sorties. Then process to lock things like gun attachments *imagine transforming your Zhuge into a crossbow sniper*with scope attachment, riven mods, armor attachments under the mastery rank to open rewarding progression for a warframes we do enjoy playing often <3 sprinkle some rework to give more life to things we want to kill,  and you have solid rpg element :)

Back in 2013, I thought it was a russian made sci-fi cash grab. It was on steam, free, no one played it, and my friend showed it to me. a week in I bought 10 dollars worth of plat, then another week I bought 50, and then I became a founder after 4 weeks of playing. I sold most of my PS3 games at the time.

What a time to be alive.

5 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

Back in 2013, I thought it was a russian made sci-fi cash grab. It was on steam, free, no one played it, and my friend showed it to me. a week in I bought 10 dollars worth of plat, then another week I bought 50, and then I became a founder after 4 weeks of playing. I sold most of my PS3 games at the time.

What a time to be alive.

Pretty much this. To start with Warframe was incredibly clunky - especially when it came to the movement and melee side of things. Cover was more important, and in many ways it played much more like a standard third-person shooter than the frenetic action game we have today. The interface, which lots of people are nostalgic for, was honestly rubbish. However, it was incredibly engaging, and the general progression model reminded me a great deal of the Monster Hunter franchise, which I adore. I think I saw a lot of potential, but that might be revisionist, but I absolutely fell in love with the art direction and that is mostly what sustained me through the first year of the game, and I'm so glad I did because I think Warframe is without a doubt one of the best games on the market.

Back in 2013, i thought it was not peer to peer network structure, something i wanted to leave behind. I thought it was more open world, and not procedually generated maps. The rest was a surprise.

It was the art style that kept me, i think.

2900 hours in and despite the many bugs, nerfs and other failings, I still keep coming back. Warframe is unique in its limited genre, normally I play non-linear games like S.T.A.L.K.E.R series or Fallout 3/NV/4 with open world concepts avoiding the likes of CoD modern warfare.

For the most part, I can play the mission types that give me the most satisfaction, and yes to acquire all the frames and weapons is a grind wall, but if you are struggling with a particular frame or weapon, you can always buy it with platinum gained by farming other stuff and trading it or selling it.

Overall its a great game, just wish every update didn't introduce more bugs.

Back when I joined my thoughs were none, I havent played any fps in decades. I was expecting another generic team brawler style game...what they call mobas now days.

I'm really glad I was wrong, the game is a good mix of genres while keeping them all to a minimal in order to provide quick and less intense dedication needed in order to enjoy (not excel) the game (have you ever tried to playing eastern mmorpg? RNG there make Warframe RNG look like a baby), while providing a bit more dept that most generics fps (not AAA fps - big difference).

And yes, although most modern games provide a lot of variation/customization, most of them spend years in development before seeing day of light, assuming they even do. Warframe was literally the underdog of f2p, and a heck of an example to the gaming industry that you can do it right, without exploiting your audience.

Warframe frustrated the hell out of me because I had never played a horde shooter.  I expected rooms to be cleared once I killed everything, but enemies just kept spawning behind me and I was so confused.

Once I understood the mission types I was alright though.

2 minutes ago, Tizodd said:

Warframe frustrated the hell out of me because I had never played a horde shooter.  I expected rooms to be cleared once I killed everything, but enemies just kept spawning behind me and I was so confused.

Once I understood the mission types I was alright though.

Yeah, my first impression was that this was a cheaply made cash grab with a cheap enemy spawn mechanic made to frustrate the free player.

It wasn't until months/year later when I was about to delete it that I got hooked. I figured I'd give it one more shot before getting rid of it and was greeted with a new ship interface. Thats really what immersed me and made me try the game out. The rest is grinding history

Two years ago a friend begged me to download Warframe and try it. We played the first two missions of Once Awake, I think. I thought the game was ugly, boring and unnecessarily difficult. I even told some guy on the Destiny forum the exact same thing. Then Destiny got boring and I decided to give Warframe another chance last March. I had to watch Tactical Potato videos in order to learn how to fuse mods and place them on weapons. What really sold me on this game was the Void mission during the Archwing quest!  I have never seen anything like the Void tileset in any game or movie. Here I am not even a year later and I've managed to pour 2200 hours into this game. I can't stop myself, I think I need Warframe Anonymous!

I was introduced to Warframe after my long stint playing ME3's multiplayer, which was in many ways a slightly worse version of Warframe: 3rd person co-op, multiple classes and objectives, RNG elements etc. after the disappointment that was Destiny, I needed a decent grind, and Warframe was there when I arrived on PS4. I've never looked back since.

still going strong, many hours in.

I got a coupon for 75 plat at a PAX east, just as t came out of beta. my friend had tired it and said it was horribly overpriced and to no try it out untill it was out of closed beta. jokes on him, cus he forgot to buy the braton vandle.

I liked the game because it was somewhat dark, but allowed what felt like a lot of custimization of guns (that was befor all the damage mods where out and with the old damage systme). I had been playing a game called Blacklight retrobution, but it was going downhill ( guns in that game where super custimizabul and i loved it). I think what kept me was that it was an entire game of PVE rather then PVP, and if i got good enoughe at it, I could help others along the way. I think it was also similer in some aspects to Killing floor at the time, haveing many guns to pick from and some with an alternet form of fire.

the art style is also my thing.

I am still hopeing that someday we get giant stompy mecks on a large map (MwO <-<) as an alternative to arch wing. I have never been too fond of archwing. my hopes for it where more like the opening few chapters of deadspace 3 where the map is decently sized and we can explore space aorund somehting rather then it being a rush to an objective. 

Well back then and even now I love this game, even though it has moved away from the original more darker feel to some teenage cartoon thing.

HOWEVER... (and this is where I'm truly concerned) everyone that I mention Warframe to just simply believes it's just some junk MMO game that plays like Paragon or something heavily RPG'ish.  Those friends are jaded by the nice CGI trailers made by other RPG games that show high action, but have gameplay like some RTS game.  (Nothing wrong with RTS games, but yeah Blizzard did this with Starcraft, etc.)

Those same friends don't realize Warframe is an action FPS game first and with RPG'ish elements second.  My friends that can get past installing the client and Vor's prize usually play at least a few dozen hours.

I'm concerned that Warframe just gets shrugged off as just another "junk MMO game" among many.