The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Huge memory leak

Kyratian

Started having this and thought I'd do a search on forums while waiting on ticket.

This turned out to be fault of nVidia? Did any newer WF patches rid the issue at any point?

Wondering if instead of driver rollback, waiting on another patch might fix it..

I can confirm the problem no longer occur after disabling Physx in Warframe options.

Didn't rollback my drivers since I have no other issue with them.

Note that the problem started occurring after a Warframe update, not a driver update.

Edited by Bloodstorm99

i have been facing the same issue too been a month or so , i thought it was my pc but i found this finally , my wf usually takes 1.4 GB of memory , but after 2 hours of playing it was leaking over 6 GBof memory rendering my game unplayable (fps drops and framing) , Note :- i tested this with higher end games and played for 2 hours or and there we no memory leaks whatsoever. So i hope DE this problem is fixed soon,  i like warframe and it ruined my event run (pacifism defect) so please do something about this before the next event 

1 hour ago, -PP-Kirtzy said:

i have been facing the same issue too been a month or so , i thought it was my pc but i found this finally , my wf usually takes 1.4 GB of memory , but after 2 hours of playing it was leaking over 6 GBof memory rendering my game unplayable (fps drops and framing) , Note :- i tested this with higher end games and played for 2 hours or and there we no memory leaks whatsoever. So i hope DE this problem is fixed soon,  i like warframe and it ruined my event run (pacifism defect) so please do something about this before the next event 

Lets not assume DE is at fault here I think it is really apparent when you revert drivers the memory leak dissapears, so saying that WF/DE is at fault and should fix it is not the way to go here, DE and Nvidia have to fix this together and see where this goes wrong.
In my eyes/experience Nvidia drivers lately are buggy, cause performance issues and break games.

So saying that DE has to fix this is a little one sided isn't it?

I have contacted support and they recommended me to revert the driver and this worked out really well, it also appeared that Battlefield 1 another game I play once so often runs more smoothly and less stuttery so perhaps it is better to look into reverting the driver first before making conclusions.

Chao, The Roaring Lion

Edited by TheRoaringLion

I decided to disable PhysX in the game. This allows you to use the current up to date NVidia driver without issue. Also, prevents hassles such as Windows 10 prompting for or auto installing a newer driver depending on your OS version and settings. 

Edited by cx-dave

5 minutes ago, cx-dave said:

I decided to disable PhysX in the game. This allows you to use the current up to date NVidia driver without issue. Also, prevents hassles such as Windows 10 prompting for or auto installing a newer driver depending on your OS version and settings. 

I use DDU no hassles no issues and I run on W10 IDK what some peeps are talking about its ez as what.

Also I do recommend to use DDU with each driver install but you don't need to do that.

Chao, The Roaring Lion

Edited by TheRoaringLion

Hi again everyone,

[DE]Glen has just put up a thread in Developer Workshop explaining a stress-test that he has created to help us track down memory leaks. We would very much appreciate it if anyone who is still experiencing these leaks make their way over to that thread and follow the steps that he has provided.

With that in mind, as of this morning Nvidia have released a new set of drivers (378.78 WHQL). If you happen to have rolled back your drivers in an attempt to escape this memory leak then we recommend updating to these latest drivers before checking to see if you can reproduce it.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/115887/en-us

Any information that you can provide using this stress-test will go a long way in helping us track this issue down.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, [DE]Dmitri said:

[DE]Glen has just put up a thread in Developer Workshop explaining a stress-test that he has created to help us track down memory leaks. We would very .much appreciate it if anyone who is still experiencing these leaks make their way over to that thread and follow the steps that he has provided.

I also found that playing Infested with PhysX on makes the memory usage reported by the Task Manager grow fast. This effects the game with every 378.xx  Nvidia driver. Haven't tested the latest one above 378.66 however.

I think this is related to the memory leak posts around here but I figured I would throw another hat into the ring :)

I went on two missions tonight, 1 with the corpus and the entire time Warframe took about 1.8GB of RAM usage. The second mission was infested and by the time we got to the end I was at 4GB of RAM usage. Seems like the memory leak issue is with the infested maybe? 

Seem to be having a similar issue, although it seems for me its related to Nvidia Phys-X only, with it on everything is fine, but the moment any particle effects happen theres a massive memory leak and the game just goes from easily 180+ fps to 28-30 and even below after just one mission. 

Turning off Phys-X however, everything is perfectly fine, no memory leaks, no anything.

Can confirm a massive memory leak in the current PC version. My Warframe was pulling 12.12 GB of RAM after a long play session.

Screenshot of my task manager at the time: unknown.png

This was taken 5:30 PM EST this afternoon.

I am on Windows 7, running with maximum graphics settings (except bloom, which is at ~50%)
I have the latest graphics drivers, etc.

Edit: running some stress tests for some data. The change won't be this dramatic, since the tests don't have nearly as many active enemies,particles, drops, etc. as a normal mission, but should provide some clues.

Edit 2: Initial testing suggests the problem is with something graphics, probably Phys-X, as turning all my graphics settings to minimum removed the leak.

It is *not* a leak in the internal memory of the game, but a leak in the process' address space. This, again, points to Phys-X.

Edited by LeakingAmps
updateing post

When im playing warframe and only warframe(doesnt happen in any other game or application) i get a blue screen for Memory_management

my specs

2gb ram

nvidia geforce 9500 gt

intel dual core E5300 2.60ghz

windows 10 64 bit

thanks for reading    -legitname1337

On 3/19/2017 at 10:41 PM, LeakingAmps said:

Can confirm a massive memory leak in the current PC version. My Warframe was pulling 12.12 GB of RAM after a long play session.

Screenshot of my task manager at the time: unknown.png

This was taken 5:30 PM EST this afternoon.

I am on Windows 7, running with maximum graphics settings (except bloom, which is at ~50%)
I have the latest graphics drivers, etc.

Edit: running some stress tests for some data. The change won't be this dramatic, since the tests don't have nearly as many active enemies,particles, drops, etc. as a normal mission, but should provide some clues.

Edit 2: Initial testing suggests the problem is with something graphics, probably Phys-X, as turning all my graphics settings to minimum removed the leak.

It is *not* a leak in the internal memory of the game, but a leak in the process' address space. This, again, points to Phys-X.

Didn't Nvidia themselves point out earlier, they will cancel Phys-X as it is causing leaks in more games, not only Warframe?

3 hours ago, Kyratian said:

Didn't Nvidia themselves point out earlier, they will cancel Phys-X as it is causing leaks in more games, not only Warframe?

and how did that leak actually became to exist :P probably Nvidia that wants to bag it all together, because older versions are just working fine.

Chao, The Roaring Lion

1 hour ago, TheRoaringLion said:

and how did that leak actually became to exist :P probably Nvidia that wants to bag it all together, because older versions are just working fine.

Chao, The Roaring Lion

Were did you get the tinfoil hat accessory? 

But in all seriousness 

5 hours ago, Kyratian said:

Phys-x was cool when engines were much more limited then they are now. Warframes particles on max are pretty much at the same lvl already and the engine isnt the thing stopping the devs they just have not coded super "high end" particles in the engine yet . Which is somthing they are actually planning on doing [SOON]™.

Happened to me too, played Octavia in ODS, friend of mine had no problem playing with me (he didn't play Octavia).

Memory consumption was 7GB at 15 min and 8,2GB at 20 min. After we left the Memory stayed at 8,2GB, only till game restart ofc.

Specs: i7 4770k | NVIDIA 780Ti | 16GB RAM

So for as long as I have played, warframe has run fine on my laptop, with no problems, with the exception of lag spikes and super high cpu usage sometimes. But following U20, after about 20-30 minutes of gameplay, the lag starts kicking in and if I go anywhere on the star chart, be it the dojo, a mission, or a relay, my computer's disk usage skyrockets to 100% as it loads and essentially completely freezes to the point where I have to shut down by holding the power button. Nothing is responsive. I've tried nearly every option of decreasing disk usage in other parts, such as ending non-essential services, and it has helped; it used to be the first mission I started, and now it's delayed by a bit. Closing and reopening warframe doesn't help. I also have no other windows open while it happens. Can anyone provide some tips or tell me if this is something that is unfixable short of a complete wipe and reinstall (if that fixes it at all)? Thanks

computer specs (somewhat low end):

Dell Latitude 3440

Processor: Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.6 gHZ

8 GB RAM, 64 bit Windows 10

Intel HD graphics

Average fps is around 20-30