Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How does Saryn work? Detailed guide plz

Penguin_at_work

Question

Hey folks,

plz help me understanding, how Saryn works. I don't understand the mechanics of spores, procs, spore spread, finish with miasma or when and how to pop spores and which weapons matter in that combination.

First of all, in which order do i have to cast spore, shoot on enemies or cast anything other abilities? I read several guides and builds, in which e.g. Ignis is used, to spread spores- but in which order do I have to do that? When to pop? How to pop? Cast Spore on ONE enemy and shoot? Cast Spores on lots of enemies and then shoot? Do anything other? Other guide used Lanka or Tonkor with gas build - i don't know, how this works correctly.

So, would you plz explain me in detail, how to play with Saryn with spores. And addtional, which rifle or shotgun is best for that kind of playstyle (I hate bows like Cernos Mutalist or throwing knifes to pop spores)? I prefer shotguns before all other weapons.

Thank you at all :smile:

11 answers to this question

You really shouldn't let someone else tell you how you need to play a frame. Go play her for yourself and figure out how you like to build and use her.

Mechanically, her abilities are individually fairly simple. Spore can be cast on Molt or an enemy directly, popping them with gunfire will spread them at their normal range, enemies who die with Spore on them will spread at half the range of that. Spore will also spread Toxin status if an enemy has it on them when the spore is popped, and continually applies viral to enemies who have spores on them. Molt has a reduced energy cost for any Spore cast used on it, functions as a taunt/decoy and removes status effects currently on Saryn. Using Toxic Lash can increase melee damage reduction up to 90%, inflicts guaranteed Toxin proc and grants increased melee damage, and pops spores while using melee weapon without having to hit a spore directly. Miasma is a damage tick with a brief stun/CC, and benefits from increased damage when an enemy has toxin status, as well as viral status and having a Molt in range of Miasma. These bonuses stack with each other.

My style: Monster damage caster. 

Build for range first (I have overextended and stretch), then strength with mediocre duration and efficiency (can go low efficiency and use primed flow, or medium and have fleeting expertise and another duration mod). 
For survival you need vitality and regen molt augment, or primed flow and quick thinking (can be vulnerable to stagger and energy leach). 

I use Zenurik for energy as I don't think she has any good builds with very high efficiency. 

The idea is to spread spores, and then get gas or toxin procs on enemies with spores. 

When you cast 1 on an enemy OR your molt, it creates spores. Pop them with a weapon and then spreads to every enemy in range, guaranteeing a viral proc. If you spread spores off an enemy afflicted by a toxin proc, the proc also spreads to enemies with the new spores. So using a weapon with gas or toxin and high status (Ignis, Lanka, Torid are popular, tonkor, amprex and mutalist cernos and sonicor are less reliably good but still pretty decent. ALL modded for gas damage and decent status).

So battle starts, spore enemy or molt, shoot spores with toxin / gas weapon. Spores spread. Hit those too. Toxic lash and melee also works to spreads spores and toxin procs. 
If you press 2, spore your molt, then press 4, you release an absolute NUKE with minor crowd control. When I have spare energy and need to clear a room, I use this combo. But normally just spread spores. 

how to saryn=press 1 on a target. pop the spore and watch it as it spreads and takes half their health away from the viral effect. that weakens everything in game as it is. then pop miasma and watch as they melt. rinse, repeat. if you dont have any issues with meleeing her 3 works amazingly at popping spores.

1 hour ago, Penguin_at_work said:

[...]

First of all, in which order do i have to cast spore, shoot on enemies or cast anything other abilities? I read several guides and builds, in which e.g. Ignis is used, to spread spores- but in which order do I have to do that? When to pop? How to pop? Cast Spore on ONE enemy and shoot? Cast Spores on lots of enemies and then shoot? Do anything other? Other guide used Lanka or Tonkor with gas build - i don't know, how this works correctly.

So, would you plz explain me in detail, how to play with Saryn with spores. And addtional, which rifle or shotgun is best for that kind of playstyle (I hate bows like Cernos Mutalist or throwing knifes to pop spores)? I prefer shotguns before all other weapons.

Thank you at all :smile:

First thing you need to know is that different Saryn players will give you different tips about how to play Saryn. So in the end it will still be up to you to decide which tips suit your play style best. I'll post some topics below that should cover your questions as well as other important things.

1) Spores is primarily a debuff power. It has 100% chance to proc Viral, which reduces the target's max health temporarily. So if you notice some enemies with low health suddenly getting "healed" it is actually your Viral procs expiring and returning part of their max health. As you spread spores (by shooting at them) you'll spread Viral procs as well.

2) Spore deals damage over time, but the power has actually low damage by default. However, there are two ways to increase that damage. The first way is to pop the spores, which causes them to explode. The second way is to proc either Toxin or Gas damage (both work), which cause damage over time that can be carried to other enemies when the spores get popped. By combining these two methods you'll be able to deal damage by simultaneously exploding spores as well as stacking DoT effects from your Toxin/Gas procs.

3) Ideally you will want to use Gas weapons simply because when Gas procs it creates a cloud that deals Toxin damage. That cloud will not only damage multiple enemies, but it will also pop spores for you. So you won't even need to aim at them. Another option is to use weapons that deal area damage (such as the Ignis, for example).

4) Weapon damage matters. This is why you see some people suggesting crazy slow weapons such as the Lanka. It's because part of your damage comes from Toxin/Gas procs and those procs deal 50% of your weapon's total damage. So if you're trying to spread spores with a Gas Braton it will still work. But your damage output via Spores will suffer as a result.

5) Avoid using physical weapons for Spores. What happens if you use a physical weapon is that your chance of getting Toxin procs is decreased. If you're using a physical weapon that has 100% status chance you end up with 25% chance to get either a Slash, Puncture, Impact OR Gas proc. So essentially by using a physical weapon you can severely reduce the amount of damage you deal with Spores.

6) Armor is your worst nightmare. Toxin/Gas doesn't do much against armor. So I strongly recommend  you take at least one strong Corrosive weapon that will allow you to deal with tough armored enemies. Corrosive Projection aura will also help you a lot against Grineer.

7) Low enemy density will reduce your damage. You can easily notice this by playing solo and then with a full team. If there aren't enough enemies around, your Spore damage will suffer because you won't get as many explosions from popped spores. Saryn is an absolute monster when dealing with swarms of enemies. But she sometimes has problems dealing with isolated ones. If you find yourself in this kind of situation sometimes it's better to just run and wait for more enemies to show up (weird, I know).

The basic "how-to-play" has already been posted by others before me. As for weapon recommendations, the Ignis is fine. But if you want secondaries try the Staticor or the Pox. Staticor has Radiation damage by deafult and the Pox gets ammo starved pretty fast but both are very good Spore weapons. Melee is also a pretty viable option but I don't really use it myself so I can't tell you the pros and cons of using it.

Thank you all, for your answers. Love u so much :inlove:

11 hours ago, Wolfglaive said:

You really shouldn't let someone else tell you how you need to play a frame. Go play her for yourself and figure out how you like to build and use her.

Just to make clear, I think here's a misunderstanding :smile:.  I don't want someone to tell me, how to play Warframe. I play lots of frames with my own style (after getting to know them), but I have difficulties in understanding the Saryn mechanics. When I know, who Saryn with the different abilities and weapon combination works, then can I search for my own playstyle. That's what I wantet to know, that's all.

Last (perhaps simple) question I have: I should cast/put spores on an enemy and u all say "pop the spores". Do I have to shoot the spore that is adhered on the enemy (so aim exactly on the spore) or is it enough, to shoot on the enemy to let the spore pop, that is adhered on the enemy?

10 hours ago, Amazerath said:

If you're using a physical weapon that has 100% status chance you end up with 25% chance to get either a Slash, Puncture, Impact OR Gas proc.

I thought physical procs have 4x more weight than elemental ones?

Simple rule is: cast spore on your own molt or an enemy, hit them thus popping the spores so that the spores will spread to nearby enemies... from this stage, spores will auto spread to all enemies that your range allows.... and you will see the whole map with twinkle twinkle beautiful numbers.

In low levels, 1 spread of spores can kill an entire map of enemies instantly. Way more OP than other frames.

Yet her prime set is cheap... lol

4 hours ago, Nyaa314 said:

I thought physical procs have 4x more weight than elemental ones?

I never tested that myself. I only tested the overall effect physical weapons have on Spore damage. But if the information on the Wiki is accurate then that's even more reason not to use physical weapons.

Lots of good info posted.

My go to saryn build is with regenerative molt, range and efficiency. Have a slash melee weapon you enjoy and the pox.

Cast molt, then cast spores onto molt. As soon as you see enemies on your mini map, hit the molt with pox and your spores spread. Numbers start showing all the enemies taking dot, cast spores on your molt again and pox em, then go slash some guys if you like. Spread spores around the map. If you take any damage recast your molt to heal, spore it and pox. 

Miasma. Weeeeeeee!

Much of what I would say has already been posted, so I'll just throw in a few tips:

Rage and Regenerative Molt made Saryn my go-to frame when I was still clearing high-level content for the first time, and I recommend the combination on any mission type in which you expect to be taking damage. Keep in mind that the heal on Regenerative Molt scales with power strength.

Range is Saryn's most important damage stat, and Spore is her most important damage ability. You can afford to reduce any of her other stats a little under 100%, but you should probably avoid seriously dumping any of them. My generalist build ran 70% power strength until I got the primed and corrupted mods to pull off all positive stats with 250% range.

Molt makes a handy decoy to draw fire from consoles and cryopods in low- to moderate-leveled missions.

I rarely use Miasma, and run most missions without ever casting it. The extra damage and stagger is useful in some situations, but it's not something to spam unless you have an amazing energy economy. If you don't immediately need the stagger or a nuke, you're probably better off just popping spores with a weapon or with Toxic Lash.

When I started with Saryn, I mostly used a Hikou (Prime) with Concealed Explosives for rapid spore popping. The Pox, Staticor, and Akstiletto Prime also do the job excellently, and are less likely to kill you by accident. Nowadays I mostly run melee on her, since that fits my playstyle a little better. Because Toxic Lash pops spores and refunds energy on each spore it pops, melee weapons with high range work best on her, especially if you can get your hands on a Primed Reach. Condition Overload will really amp up her melee damage as well, since she can easily maintain at least two status afflictions indefinitely on every target.

Saryn has a lot of room for build variation, so you may need to play around with her for a while before you find a build and playstyle that really works for you.