Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's a good balanced melee weapon?

mosaickle

Question

18 answers to this question

Always take tier lists with huge grain of salt.  Sure, there are great weapons and there are terrible weapons, but to use them well depends on your play style and the way you mod them.  It's better for you to discover for yourself what you like and don't like.

Anyway, what are you looking for in a melee weapon?  Maybe people can make suggestions based on your preferences?  Kronen is ok, and it's fun and decent if you like slide attacks.  Other tonfa-type weapons outshine it, but you should just build it and level it for mastery xp.  Then, use it to build Boltace for more mastery xp.  If you like tonfa-type melee weapons, get Telos Boltace later when you're at high enough MR.

21 minutes ago, Atylia said:

So does it go from left as best downwards to right?

Nah; little text at the bottom says that anything on this list is worth investing in, but it's not set up to be an "x weapon is better than y" infograph. 

I can't really dispute this list: it's pretty accurate. 

17 minutes ago, Atylia said:

So does it go from left as best downwards to right?

No, its randomly ordered, read notes. Pick a weapon type then select one from the list, each one has its strengths and weaknesses. Some need some work on them before they can shine, like braton or burston.

12 minutes ago, xiaodenden said:

Anyway, what are you looking for in a melee weapon?  Maybe people can make suggestions based on your preferences?

Preferably a one-handed sword type or staff/polearm with average to above average attack speed (basically nothing that's huge like a Galatine or War or huge hammers)

Basically nothing heavy, something for speed and agility (that doesn't look too bulky)

I'm considering Nikana Prime for later on in the game, I'm probably settling with Ether Blade until then unless there's anything better?

38 minutes ago, Atylia said:

Preferably a one-handed sword type or staff/polearm with average to above average attack speed (basically nothing that's huge like a Galatine or War or huge hammers)

Basically nothing heavy, something for speed and agility (that doesn't look too bulky)

I'm considering Nikana Prime for later on in the game, I'm probably settling with Ether Blade until then unless there's anything better?

Check out Nikana first and then upgrade it to Dragon Nikana.  If you like Nikana, then try to get the primed version.

Definitely get Broken Sword, which like Aurea_Hiigara said, is a quest item.  It's one of the best one-handed sword in game.  Most of the one-handed swords are pretty much mastery fodder, but Prisma Skana + its syndicate mod and Mire + its syndicate mode make those two weapons more interesting.  Not one-handed sword, but check out rapier Destreza.  

For polearms, my favorite is Orthos Prime, but regular Orthos should be ok.  Lesion is an interesting weapon that I don't see very often in game, but it gains attack speed when it procs.  If you're planning to build Lesion, you will need the staff weapon Tipedo as one of the raw materials.  People stopped using Tipedo after coptering was taken out of the game, but it's still a good weapon.  It has good crit rate so ideal to put a Beserker mod on it, and it has the fastest attack speed out of all the melee weapons.  Other staff weapons include Bo and Bo Prime, Amphis, and Broken Scepter.  Amphis was one of my favorite melee weapons when I started out because it's cheap and easy to build and I liked it's slam attack.  If you do end up building and leveling Amphis, you can use it to build the polearm Sydon.  You can get Broken Scepter as a quest reward.  Not much to write about Bo Prime and it's vaulted right now so you can't get it in game unless you buy it from other players.  I wouldn't recommend that because I doubt the amount of plats people will be asking will be worth it for you.  Wait until it's unvaulted again if you want Bo Prime.

If you want other weapons with fast attack speed, try whips, nunchaku, and dual swords (my favorites are Prisma Dual Cleaver and Dual Ichor).

Of course this isn't the most extensive list or anything, but it might be a good start for you.

7 hours ago, xiaodenden said:

Check out Nikana first and then upgrade it to Dragon Nikana.  If you like Nikana, then try to get the primed version.

Definitely get Broken Sword, which like Aurea_Hiigara said, is a quest item.  It's one of the best one-handed sword in game.

I should be able to get Nikana soon, can't quite get Dragon Nikana or Broken War, I'm only Lv. 5

I'll stick to Ether for now until I can get a hold on Nikana probably

11 hours ago, Atylia said:

All, IMO, of course-

One-handed:
Broken-War (try to get Crimson Dervish if you don't have it. The stance combos really make this thing do work.)

Polearm:
Lesion (self-buffing Slash/Toxin weapon. It's way better than it may seem. Plus no slowdown when using it for quick melee. Melee+Movement FTW.)

Other:
Ninkondi (it has some loyal fans but otherwise I think it's a sleeper hit. Being an elemental weapon means you can control its procs better. Also, it is quite fast and imo looks really good, both model and animation. Lots of status and just enough crit to actually work with because of how fast it is. Atlantis Vulcan being the only stance is fine since it very good.)

Hirudo (equip it with Shattering Impact and pick the stance mod you prefer. IMO both of them work and really it's more about which you prefer. No reason to use a stance you don't like.  It's a crit weapon and has passive healing based off of it. Get in there and punch/kick your enemies into submission. Or Slide-punt them into orbit. You might not think the healing will be very much but once you get that crit counter building it'll come rolling in.)

Edit to say: OK I see you're "only" MR5 so you'll have to wait to get of few of those. But I guess it gives you some stuff to look for as you gain Ranks. So consider those weapons I recommend to you when you're able to use them. Weapons totally worth keeping.

So in MR order it'd go:
Ninkondi           (MR 0)
Hirudo, Lesion (MR 7)
Broken War      (MR 10)

So since Lesion is several ranks away I'll go ahead and toss a recommendation for the Serro (MR 2) in the meantime. Think of it as Lesion v_1.0.  It lacks the slash and self-buff but it's still pretty good. When you do get to MR 7 it is then entirely replaceable by the Lesion. 

If anything it's at worse mastery fodder for you. ;-)
Cheers!
~R~

Edited by Rolunde
added info

21 hours ago, Atylia said:

Try Redeemer, Sarpa, Destreza, maybe Ack/Brunt or Silva/Aegis. They are some of the few weapons that use their sword part in only one hand as per their models.

Ether blade is bad. Switch to literally anything else on the list, unless you want the looks and you have the potatoes and forma to compensate.

On 2/21/2017 at 2:23 AM, Atylia said:

Tipedo.  Crit, status attack speed range, mobility (with correct stance), basically build any way you want.  On most missions you can clear a room faster with a Tipedo than even the best heavy weapons, just because the nobility and range is so high. 

Everything in this game is based on preference, so... It really is up to you. We can tell you powerful weapons, and how to mod anything, but whether you like how it feels is up to you. Experiment a bit, find something that you think is balance, and check out some builds to get an idea of how to make it suit your needs.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:23 AM, Atylia said:

I highly recommend you get the Nikana Prime as soon as possible before it's no longer available. It's also not mr locked like the other nikanas. Which means that you can used the Nikana Prime at Mastery Rank 0

Edited by DatDarkOne
correction