Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do We Have A Rough Estimate Of The Orbiter's Size, In Numbers?

BornWithTeeth

Just trying to eyeball it here, and my guess is "frigging huge", or to be more precise, about three hundred and fifty meters, comparable to our largest modern naval carriers.

Step one: Look at the first point of reference we have, the Warframe entrance hatch on the underside of the Liset.

LisetWithLimbo-e56456Kqhugfd13.png

That thing is basically a rotating half cylinder seal hatch type thing, and if I had to guess I'd say it's about three meters long. The main body of the Liset, (not counting its maneuvering tails) is about five or six times that length. Crude estimate: eighteen meters from the nose to the end of the main fuselage.

Step two: The Liset docks on the nose of the Orbiter.

bkKCPlF.gif

It ends up looking like this:

latest?cb=20160716011357

So. If that little rounded triangle on the prow of the Orbiter (outlined in turquoise there) is roughly eighteen meters long, how long is the rest of the craft? Twenty times that length? Somewhere in the ballpark of three hundred and fifty meters?

That would put it at the same size as the USS Enterprise, the aircraft carrier, which is 342 meters long. Final picture here for scale comparison:

enterprise.jpg

Look at the size of those fighters, and then look at the size of the landing craft docked on the nose of the Orbiter.

Thoughts?

What I'd like to know is about the other Landing Craft and where they fit in on the Orbiter. We know the Liset is supposed to fit to the front, and so what about the Scimitar, Mantis and Xiphos?

Are they swappable with the Liset on the front of the Orbiter? Is there a Docking Bay for them?

How cool would it be to have a Docking Bay, we can go down to, to select the Lander we want to use before dropping into a mission? I can see there's need to be a few updates and work to be done to accommodate, but I'd love to see work be done in this area.

36 minutes ago, BornWithTeeth said:

Thoughts?

I mean it shouldnt be hard to calculate how big the orbiter is. Though your "hundred" seem to much.

Get the size of the Warframe and use it as messurement for the orbiter. being Warframes i would say 1.5 to 2m Using the in game marker tool and preception. Scaling it to the liset would give u 6 Warframes long giving it the size of 12 meters tall without the "tails". The wide changes between the top and lower deck so the top part is roughly 5 Warframes long or 10m as the lower deck is roughly 8 Warframes long, thus making it around 12 meters. (Messurements as for the 1st image)

Now Using the Liset new found mesurements Scaling it to the orbiter we get the sense of almost 1/3 / 1/4 of liset to orbiter size on the gift, though on the image is quite more. so middle ground having around 1 Lisets and 2 warframe Height (If the liset is vertical), 2 Lisets Wide (If the liset is Horizontal), 3 Lisets and 1 warframe lenght (If the Liset is Horizontal).

So Tl:Dr: My opinion as for images and rough messurements, the orbiter is 16 meters height, 24 meters Wide and 38 meters Deep. IF a Warframe is around 2 meters tall

Edited by An8rchy

10 minutes ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

What I'd like to know is about the other Landing Craft and where they fit in on the Orbiter. We know the Liset is supposed to fit to the front, and so what about the Scimitar, Mantis and Xiphos?

Are they swappable with the Liset on the front of the Orbiter? Is there a Docking Bay for them?

How cool would it be to have a Docking Bay, we can go down to, to select the Lander we want to use before dropping into a mission? I can see there's need to be a few updates and work to be done to accommodate, but I'd love to see work be done in this area.

I once thought the front of the Orbiter section was the Liset too, but this was only due to the similar shape of the window.

I would believe that there is a separate Docking Bay for all landing craft. I even think that the circular pad your warframe kneels on at the starchart is actually a port-hole into the landing craft/dock.

5 minutes ago, An8rchy said:

I mean it shouldnt be hard to calculate how big the orbiter is. Though your "hundred" seem to much.

Get the size of the Warframe and use it as messurement for the orbiter. being Warframes i would say 1.5 to 2m Using the in game marker tool and preception. Scaling it to the liset would give u 6 Warframes long giving it the size of 12 meters tall without the "tails". The wide changes between the top and lower deck so the top part is roughly 5 Warframes long or 10m as the lower deck is roughly 8 Warframes long, thus making it around 12 meters. (Messurements as for the 1st image)

Now Using the Liset new found mesurements Scaling it to the orbiter we get the sense of almost 1/3 / 1/4 of liset to orbiter size on the gift, though on the image is quite more. so middle ground having around 1 Lisets and 2 warframe Height (If the liset is vertical), 2 Lisets Wide (If the liset is Horizontal), 3 Lisets and 1 warframe lenght (If the Liset is Horizontal).

So Tl:Dr: My opinion as for images and rough messurements, the orbiter is 16 meters height, 24 meters Wide and 38 meters Deep. IF a Warframe is around 2 meters tall

The problem there is in the image, not including the engines on the orbiter, the orbiter's length from nose to rear is 10 lisets. We know however that the large box middle section is removable, based on the alternative images the artist made of the Orbiter. Whether or not you include those is important. Height it is about 9 lisets tall, and width is it 7 Lisets wide. Your scales would better fit the current in-game interior, which is changed based on if DE makes new things for the interior.

@An8rchy

Seems way too small. Discussing length alone, the landers would be the size of a small aircraft, and we can see that the spot on the Orbiter where the Liset docks is tiny relative to the total length. Even if the Liset is only twelve meters long, the total Orbiter would still be over two hundred meters in length.

7 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

The problem there is in the image, not including the engines on the orbiter, the orbiter's length from nose to rear is 10 lisets. We know however that the large box middle section is removable, based on the alternative images the artist made of the Orbiter. Whether or not you include those is important. Height it is about 9 lisets tall, and width is it 7 Lisets wide. Your scales would better fit the current in-game interior, which is changed based on if DE makes new things for the interior.

Aye, if you look at the current accessible space in the Orbiter, the 'command deck', it's tiny compared to the size which the Orbiter seems to be in total. Now, the Orbiter seems to be half engine, so we can assume that much of its volume is taken up with engineering, but even so there's room for multiple habitable decks in the forward sections.

Hell, I'd appreciate a quest, or maybe just the equivalent of a couple of missions, in which the Operator has to go wandering about in the rest of the Orbiter to reconnect mission critical components and find out what the hell is going on down there.

@(PS4)GR13V4NC3 Nope, I think that's sort of semi-official concept art.

Edited by BornWithTeeth

2 minutes ago, An8rchy said:

Its just my thought with my scale. not a biggy

Are you looking at the large liset-shaped piece that's about 1/3rd the orbitor? Because that's not the liset. The liset is the tiny thing outlined in turqoise.

3 minutes ago, RunningTree3 said:

I once thought the front of the Orbiter section was the Liset too, but this was only due to the similar shape of the window.

I would believe that there is a separate Docking Bay for all landing craft. I even think that the circular pad your warframe kneels on at the starchart is actually a port-hole into the landing craft/dock.

That is certainly possible.

If that is the direction the devs intend to go with, I'd love to see that animated. Switch it up to, activating that panel, takes us down to have access to the Docking Bay, where we can select the Lander and then open a hologram of the star chart, as a transition, to the star chart as it currently is in-game to then select the node we want to go to.

Lastly, have a short animation of the Warframe loading into the chosen Lander and leaving the Orbiter.

That would be sweet.

Just now, BornWithTeeth said:

It's actually, if you look at it, a stretched Excalibur lying on his back with drive cone engines for legs. Look, you can't unsee it!

LOL, I see it! It's an Excalibro Prime, actually!

Bam! There's your friggin' Excal Prime, non-founders! J/K

Edited by (PS4)GR13V4NC3

Well here's a rough estimate about the space we already use up in the Orbiter based on what we can see.

Orbiter_zps27f4imhs.png

There's not too much left to the imagination. Pretty much just the large area behind the Transference Room, and the the big section below the Liset docking zone. I highly doubt that there's much/any usable space inside the ship's engines.

In fact that area below the Liset Docking zone MIGHT be where the Archwing Arsenal is, or it could be part of the large chamber behind the Transference Room. Either way, it's somewhere.

Edited by Meta_Nexus
Yes, I did that in MS Paint. :clem:

Actualy i'm pretty sure DE scrapped the idea of the Lander serving as the cockpit of the Orbiter.

The shapes of the 3 other Landers don't fit the shape of the cockpit interior anymore. They also never put that docking animation into the game. So it's likely they actualy scrapped that idea in favor of a dedicated Lander hanger (as shown in the other Orbiter concept art).

So even with that image of the Orbiter being officialy in the game via the Codex Fragments (with the actual model still being possible different looking in the end) we can't really measure it based on the Liset anymore.

Edited by Othergrunty

2 hours ago, Othergrunty said:

Actualy i'm pretty sure DE scrapped the idea of the Lander serving as the cockpit of the Orbiter.

The shapes of the 3 other Landers don't fit the shape of the cockpit interior anymore. They also never put that docking animation into the game. So it's likely they actualy scrapped that idea in favor of a dedicated Lander hanger (as shown in the other Orbiter concept art).

So even with that image of the Orbiter being officialy in the game via the Codex Fragments (with the actual model still being possible different looking in the end) we can't really measure it based on the Liset anymore.

Don't discount the idea that it'll still look like that, and the Liset will stay on the "nose" when you're using the other Landers, which will dock in the larger presumptive docking section. They can still use the Liset animations, and just switch it out for a new docking hanger animation when the other Landers are being used. That'd be the easy solution that would still make use of assets already developed. Nothing lost.