Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Best Defense - Melee Creation Contest!

[DE]Megan

Name: Izuwa

Faction: Grineer (Kuva)

Grip and Stance: Rapier

Brief Description: It was said the Queens' elite warriors were unwavering... that is until her Guardians were born. The Izuwa spear and shield uses the Rapier stance for its lancing strikes. With each strike, a piston thrusts the spearhead forward for longer range. A charge attack throws the spear into enemies causing a Toxin AoE effect. The Shield replaces the melee attack while the Secondary Weapon is in use.

kuva_zulu_2_weapon_copy_by_kebiru-db1m0kkuva_zulu_weapon_copy_by_kebiru-db1ly5e.

Edited by (XB1)Kebiru25

Melee name:Tesla Nemesis

Grip Type:Dual swords (Stance:Swirling Tiger)

Faction:Tenno

Brief Description:

The blades will open when you attack, you can see one blade will change to be three blade, also with some lightning around the blade.

Then, this melee have some special action. For example, when Tenno slash with single blade, that blade will throw out about a short range(like...1.5m maybe), that range is the basic range of this weapon(maybe will be the long attack range in all of the dual sword) and also can keep growing by mod. :)

Also,when Tenno use slide attack with this weapon, All of two blade will throw out and attack all enemy in the range, the basic range of slide attack will grow to 2m, just like the normal slash. 

Pic: 

8CjUl3c.jpg

[My english is suck. :( ]

[Also sry for haven't color. :( ]

[Sry for that,guys. sry my operator. :( ]

Edited by joke_the_holder_of_war

6 minutes ago, Nox_Terminus said:

Its a shame so many designs are going to be disqualified from the get go. People submitting need to read the rules carefully.

yeah a bunch of these are transforming weapons that you'd normally see in rwby OC pages posted to deviantart. the other good portion of them are weapon types that aren't already made. I think the idea behind this is that the design team which may not include the animation team at DE is running this competition as a means to bring in fresh ideas from the outside while appeasing the community. the less animating that they'll have to do, the easier it is, and in the long run the better. these transforming weapons and damage values people are listing are cool information and all that, but some of them dont seem like they match the warframe theme.

The best example of a weapon submission that i've seen so far was that infested nikana design. which in the end would probably end up being a nikana skin in the end, however it was simple, hasn't been done, and the game has definitely been overdue for one.

Would it be cool to have an entirely new section of weapon types? yeah definitely. that's why i submitted a rocket lance. not because i think it will win, but because it was collecting dust in my portfolio and i had to do something with it and i thought it was cool and fitting. but in the end i saw this as an opportunity to share art with a community, and get involved in one way or another with DE because i will be applying there when i graduate.

Faction: Corpus.

Description:  A collapsible corpus themed kanabo/war-club, uses Galatine/great-sword idle posture, and either heavy blade or hammer attacking animations. Energy spikes emerge during channeling and/or combo finishers, possibly changing damage type to piercing or electric. (most of description is in image itself)

Illustration:

i think DE is just giving the community the chance to be more active and participate, one thing i remmeber from a dev stream is that each stance required that the animation team have to go to each frame and made adjustments that alot of work considering the game is constantly adding new frames, a new type of weapon is more work than just modelling.

The best we can do is participate in my opinion but yes read rules. i think there are other spaces to post a more complex ideas.

Edited by (PS4)Frozenfenrir

My weapon creation:

Name: 感染する - Kansen Suru

Weapon type: Hybrid; Heavy Blade/Hammer

Faction: Infested

Heavy Blade                  /                   Hammer 

Description: A weapon made from the hide, flesh and bones from ancient infested made by the Orokin.

Special: Has innate rank 7 Blood Rush for Heavy Blade Preset, and Rank 4 Weeping Wounds for Hammer Preset.

Damage: 100 slash, 15 impact, 15 puncture / 120 corrosive

Attack Speed: 1.00 / 0.833

Crit %:  30%  /  10%

Crit Multiplier: 2.5%  /  1.5%

Status Chance: 10%  /  30%

Stance polarity: Vazarin D

Polarities: 2x V

Example Photos:

Edited by Wholfe1999

1 hour ago, (PS4)Frozenfenrir said:

i think DE is just giving the community the chance to be more active and participate, one thing i remmeber from a dev stream is that each stance required that the animation team have to go to each frame and made adjustments that alot of work considering the game is contantly adding new frames, a new type of weapon is more work than just modelling.

The best we can do is participate in my opinion but yes read rules. i think there are other spaces to post a more complex ideas.

from what i can gather, all the frames share the same/similar skeleton and thus can share the same animations. this can be shown from being able to swap out Default, Agile and Noble animations for different Warframes with little problem. which, even though i am not 100% sure how DE's workflow is set up, is the same thing in UDK and Unreal 4 so I will work on that assumption. This can be further proven by the current Helminth Charger who is just using the kubrows animations. It looks weird, because the 3D model was never meant to be used like that. but the skeleton structure is the same/similar and thus able to transfer animations.

so each new weapon does not mean having to remake all the animations for each and every frames. tweaks maybe. but its not a complete rewrite. and with IK animations available now days, its not like animating a cartoon character where you redraw everything each frame(frame here as in the same frame used in FramesPerSeconds)...that being said, its still a pain in the rear, speaking as a amateur animator myself. 
--------------------------------------------------------
tldr below

Spoiler

i think it would be best to explain, as far as i understand it, for the benefits of everyone. when the contest states

The weapon must use an existing grip. Melee weapon types that are not already in Warframe are not allowed

to put it in its extremes, it means, as I am to interpret it, make up a weapon that can be used exactly like one of the existing models. swings the same way, holsters the same way, animates the same(similar) way. because the purpose of these contests, as stated in one of the earlier contests, is to get the ideas from the community as quick as possible with the most efficient amount of work and effort. and the most efficient amount of work and effort would be for DE to just make the 3D mesh and then just sub it in on one of the existing weapon meshes and test it, and make sure it works. and that's it. that's how weapon "skins" work. that is the fastest, most efficient way to have extra content. and different weapons are, in essence, just different skins of the same base weapon but now with changed stats. thats how new weapons are made in the game...in any game, really.

1 hour ago, Khobi said:

The best example of a weapon submission that i've seen so far was that infested nikana design. which in the end would probably end up being a nikana skin in the end, however it was simple, hasn't been done, and the game has definitely been overdue for one.

Khobi is absolutely right in that regards. the infested nikana here is the best example of having the existing grip. there is no extra animations, there are no over the top transformations so on and so forth. its simple and all that is required is for the 3D model to be made and just literally thrown in the files and then change file path name. and it will work, more or less, perfectly. damage value tweaks are really a minor thing. 

now you might say, that sounds lazy. that sounds like DE is really limiting the weapons that we can have. that sounds boring. but lets say, again to put it in the extremes, the winner of the contest is some over-the-top amazingly animated thing. with wacky game mechanics like...summon a dragon. with fire. as a unit.

firstly the 3d mesh of the weapon has to be made, it then has to be rigged, then it has to be animated(if it is animated), then it has to be put in the game, then it has to have a whole new set of animations just dedicated to it(becuase it is a whole new weapon that doesnt exactly work with the current existing animations), then it has to be tested, then it has to be balanced(reach dmg speed), then the wacky game mechanic has to be put it, then that needs to be tested(what it this new mechanic doesnt work, what if it crashes/cause memory loss, what if the way it works freaks out the physics in the game. and then after that it needs to be tested and then balanced again. and THEN as a finishing touch, all the special effects associated with the crazy over the top animation needs to be made. maybe if could be substituted/faked with existing special effects. maybe not. maybe if it summons a dragon, that dragon needs to be made. and then rigged. and then animated. again.

...thats a lot of work. and a lot of gamble/investment/time/effort for something that might not even work properly. and its not fast. and it doesnt get a lot of results. and its also kinda selfish to put that much work into one person's concept when DE is really trying to get everyone to participate with multiple entries. more the merrier. more variety. 

-----------------------
all that being said, I am literally a nobody. if i have stated things that are wrong, please correct me. i am just working on the assumptions made from my own experiences in regards to 3d modelling/animating. dont get offended or mad. i am not trying to correct anyone. I am just providing some food for thought for people so that they may better their designs
----------------------
sorry for the huge post.

Edited by tentacleface762

13 hours ago, Senketsu_ said:

A pike is a polearm. The reason why a Naginata is a polearm is because its used for more then just thrusting like a spear.

also in this contest the weapon has to fit into an already existing grip.

https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&q=polearm&oq=polearm&gs_l=hp.3.0.0l9j5.2581.5190.0.7726.8.8.0.0.0.0.218.966.3j4j1.8.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..0.7.748.0..35i39k1j0i131k1j0i20k1j0i20i46k1j46i20k1.1kdlll1KpXM

Oh, I get it now.

On 3/3/2017 at 0:58 PM, Senketsu_ said:

The Kanigata/dragon Kanigata.

ZxzGqiX.png

• Kanigata.
  • Faction: Tenno.
  • Grip: Polearm.
  • Description: A Polearm predating the Orokin Empire. It shares its origins and forging technique with the Nikana. Excels at killing your enemies at a distance

Kanigata Stats: 
Impact: 3.5
Puncture: 25.3
Slash: 45.2
Crit Ch: 15%
Crit Dmg: 100%
Attck Speed: 1.2 rate
Status Chance: 20%
Mastery Level: 4

Stance: Polearm

Dragon Kanigata Stats:

Impact: 4.0

Puncture: 28.8

Slash: 80.2

Crit Ch: 20%

Crit Dmg: 200%

Attack Speed: 1.0 rate

Status Chance: 25%

Mastery Level: 8

Stance: Polearm

What is that circular thing that you show in the picture next to it?

Edited by Allmantor
Correcting joined words.

4 hours ago, WEREsandrock said:

Name: Panza and Pice
Faction: Corpus

Grip type: sword and shield.
Description: Panza and Pice were developed by the Corpus. The Pice is a pickaxe like tool, which is used for mining by the
workers who were enslaved by the Corpus. The shield uses the same plating used on MOAS. It emits a hex-grid Aura when dodging bullets.

On Charge, the Pice overloads and emits a ray of super hot Plasma that stabs / burns the enemy. (examples can be found on the second picture)

Concept art:

bNLIHaM.jpg

PZCHw6S.jpg

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

i have been thinking about a hammer that could be similar to the Fragor but make it a puncture/impact weapon with an alt fire that spins the handle between the front and rear hear of the weapon one being flat (impact) the other being pointed (puncture) and by pointed i mean similar to those glass hammers you see in public transport for breaking glass ie rounded with a central point im not sure what the stats would be or the name but i just wanted to get the idea out there, it could even use the same stances of the hammers/maces

http://i.imgur.com/Drd0Y1D.jpg

bhold da ULTAYMUT WAYPON

*TELEPORT BEHIND YOU*
PSSH

NOTTHING PSNAL FELLOW TENNO

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP (slashing sound)

Name: tyrantopphirus

damage: ALL ELEMENTS +500 damage

grip style: rectal

zcqLx0L.jpg

Farbig Sword

Faction: Tenno
Brief Description: This Heavy Sword is like Chroma, if you change the energy color it will change its base elemental damage, also this sword is somehow like the Zenistar if you are equipped the melee weapon and make the charge attack the warframe will stick the sword in the floor and it will create an aura with different effects depending on the energy color.

• Fire: the warframes inside the aura will regenerate their life.
  • Ice: the Wf inside will have a 100% armor
  • Toxic: the Wf inside will regenerate ammo
  • Electricity: the Wf inside will regenerate Shields and gain overshields

The Wf that, sticks his sword will lose his/her melee weapon

Original Artwork: 

i56k4Z.jpg

Faction: Tenno

Description: The Tonitrus is a GUN BLADE that fires energy arrows from the tip of the lotus symbol, dealing electricity damage. It is a slash based weapon. When channeling it emits a lightning effect similar to the Oro Ornament. Charged attacks would allow for a short range burst of electric damage in front of the Warframe.

Flammacor

Faction: Corpus                   Grip: Blade & Whip

Description: A Corpus designed blade and whip type weapon. Uses superheated energy blades to deal heat damage with high critical potential. The whip portion of the weapon is an energy bladed hook attached to the main weapon by an energy cable.image.jpg.eJwVzMsNwyAMANBdGAATi2-2QQQRohAj7J6q7l5

Edited by Lorde_BliTz