Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

No Damage Defense Solo Variant (Riven)

(PSN)theelix

I finally got this Riven type of Riven challenge. 

It's not a challenge. It's practically asinine and depends on luck, and that's not good design. There are four, maybe five, frames that can plausibly do this challenge: Frost, Vauban, Mesa, Banshee. 

Frost has a hard time doing the challenge without having the augment Chilling Globe, and fighting Infested. Against Grineer, Corrupted, and Corpus it's unlikely you'll be able to complete it even if you run the perfect range and strength the cover only the objective completely due to the fact that any form of AoE damage will penetrate the globe. Making the globe large enough so that the grenades detonate a safe distance away allows fast moving, high durability targets like Bursas, MOAs, and Kavats in enough to swipe the pod for a single damage point. 

Vauban has a slightly easier time, as long as you fight infested, since he ceases all their function at range. Against any other faction, it doesn't work simply because the poor AI will turn the corner and fire at even afterimages of you. Stray fire from something like Grineer is literally impossible to block, being hitscan. Corpus you'd have to have a reaction time of near record breaking levels, but you could plausibly body block shots from non-shotgun units. However, even against infested there are variables you simply will not be able to control. The MOAs that fire clouds, Arson eximus that use their AoE simply because your current trajectory is approaching them, no matter how far away you are, maggots, buggy ospreys. 

Mesa could also plausible do this challenge, assuming she can kill everything fast enough. However, if the enemy has any sort of durability, say Bursas, Ancient Disruptors/Healers, Heavy Gunners, Bombards, there is a high likeliness that they will fire in the time it takes you to get the second shot off. Or maybe they appear in droves from too many directions. 

Banshee is thus the least likely. Her ability to chain stuns locks down enemies who get within range, regardless of line of sight. However, the only two options she has to do that have heavy drawbacks. Silence either needs to be massive range with no duration, or short range with high duration and requires you to move immensely quickly. The latter is less likely to be viable in a defense, so the former would be the more viable of the two options. I don't know of any way to get the duration low enough so that you'd be able to spam silence without them managing to gain sense and take a hail mary shot. Sound Quake can't gain energy while in use, and may not hit hard enough to kill everything before you have the chance to refresh your energy. 

Ember is also an option, but I don't know enough about her kit to really say if she's viable for the challenge or not. 

In conclusion, I'd like the challenge to be changed. The design of the challenge doesn't match the design of this game, because no everything in this game has a counter, and a lot of the variables that dictate whether you fail or do not fail this challenge are simply not in your control for many reasons.

I'd like you to be able to do more defense missions, and have a margin of error. If you do a level 5 defense mission, you can take no damage. If you do a level 30 defense mission, the pod is allowed 500 damage. If you do greater than that, it goes up more. Maybe cap it from defense mission higher that 5, as these are just examples. 

Edited by (PS4)theelix

Not dificult, challenging yes, but not impossible. I even did that Riven with randoms using Ivara. I explained  the situation and they happly played with me. Just use your creativity, there is more than 5 frames to do this challenge and conversate with your team mates "yo, riven challenge... you know my struggle and halp me out." 

1 minute ago, Ulgorn said:

Not dificult, challenging yes, but not impossible. I even did that Riven with randoms using Ivara. I explained  the situation and they happly played with me. Just use your creativity, there is more than 5 frames to do this challenge and conversate with your team mates "yo, riven challenge... you know my struggle and halp me out." 

I did not mention that the challenge has the variation of being solo. 

9 minutes ago, (PS4)theelix said:

-snip-

It's really not as bad as you say. Matter of fact, Frost can solo it with insulting ease. Here's how you cheese it; put some power strength on him along with his range and bring a few dozen Energy pizzas. Put your bubble over the defence point, drop a pizza and spam Avalance until everything dies an icy death of doom and destruction, forgotten by all who knew of them, a single point in space where energy no longer exists as even a concept.

So... no, it shouldn't be removed. Hard, yes. Annoying, yeah. 'Impossible' or anything to that extent? Not even close. Now, 'get 10 headshots in a single bullet jump'... that's one I'd like to see removed.

EDIT: I fear it's much the fault of Frost's bubble (much like Nova's Molecular Prime); it's so good people forget just how useful and powerful his Avalanche is if used right...

Edited by Lyravain

1 minute ago, Lyravain said:

It's really not as bad as you say. Matter of fact, Frost can solo it with insulting ease. Here's how you cheese it; put some power strength on him along with his range and bring a few dozen Energy pizzas. Put your bubble over the defence point, drop a pizza and spam Avalance until everything dies an icy death of doom and destruction, forgotten by all who knew of them, a single point in space where energy no longer exists as even a concept.

So... no, it shouldn't be removed. Hard, yes. Annoying, yeah. 'Impossible' or anything to that extent? Not even close. Now, 'get 10 headshots in a single bullet jump'... that's one I'd like to see removed.

I've seen multiple attempts of that, and none of them worked. However, I will try it again. 

Just now, (PS4)theelix said:

I've seen multiple attempts of that, and none of them worked. However, I will try it again. 

The reason I told you of this way is because I got the same challenge and did it with, as I said, extreme ease. I suggest going against Grineer, putting a few bubbles around to avoid Bombard/Napalm aoe and just spam Avalance until everything dies.

The varient of that challenge that instantly fails you if an energy item is used is more annoying in my experience. The Riven I got from that being for the Burst Laser was just adding insult to injury.

For the headshot one... Go to the Jupiter Tileset and float on an outlet as Corpus run up. Gives plenty of time to line up shots.

I had that defense challenge with solo + no energy restores conditions.

I just started a defense on Eris, waited for Zenurik (Energy Overflow)  to charge up and use that focus. That takes care of my energy needs. THEN I start the waves.

I didn't have the Chilled Globe augment equipped, just Enemy Sense. That way I could clearly prioritize which enemy was closest to the globe and attack them in that order with my long range melee staff and shoot whatever stayed in the back. I never stepped outside the globe; do not chase the enemies leaving the pod unprotected, let them come to you. When the radar becomes too red with enemies, I press 4 and they're all dead.

On wave 5 I got cocky and careless and one enemy got in and smacked the pod, second attempt went fine.

Edited by MystMan

4 hours ago, Celthric317 said:

It's the easiest challenge of all of the rivens.

I think you meant "Kill 50 enemies without being disrupted" challenge.

If you want my input on this challenge, then try max range Zenistar, if you can get your hands on that.

Edited by VentiGlondi

lol I had this one a couple times and this was my first Riven it was so easy just bring a stomp Rhino Resonating quake banshee Mesa Loki with a max range gas whip or zenistar a avalanche frost mirage with synoid simulor firequake high power strength ember the list goes on really and the ones I have listed are ones i have already comlpleted this with all on akkad.

14 hours ago, ChuckMaverick said:

You mean the one that doesn't actually exist?

For something that doesn't exist, I actually have gotten this challenge- twice. Not to 10, though, thankfully. First was 5, second was 7 so I guess I'm heading there.

14 hours ago, (PS4)Cynicaid said:

The varient of that challenge that instantly fails you if an energy item is used is more annoying in my experience. The Riven I got from that being for the Burst Laser was just adding insult to injury.

For the headshot one... Go to the Jupiter Tileset and float on an outlet as Corpus run up. Gives plenty of time to line up shots.

lol i just took zephyr to pluto defense with a soma and it was done within seconds of starting

16 hours ago, Lyravain said:

EDIT: I fear it's much the fault of Frost's bubble (much like Nova's Molecular Prime); it's so good people forget just how useful and powerful his Avalanche is if used right...

This was how I did it. I found a grineer defense (the one where the pod changes levels/floors. I just spammed avalanche and gammacore ftw.

Complete X mission/kill X enemies without being alerted, X headshots in one aim-glide, and synthesis without abilities or damage are the hardest variations you can get AFAIK, and the last of those two is still cheesable to a certain degree (e.g. Rhino Iron Skin).

Defense w/o damage is comparatively very easy even with a dragon key and/or solo requirement.

Edited by Mattoropael

18 hours ago, ChuckMaverick said:
18 hours ago, Lyravain said:

Now, 'get 10 headshots in a single bullet jump'... that's one I'd like to see removed.

You mean the one that doesn't actually exist?

4 hours ago, Lyravain said:

For something that doesn't exist, I actually have gotten this challenge- twice. Not to 10, though, thankfully. First was 5, second was 7 so I guess I'm heading there.

There are no riven challenges that involve bullet jumps, at all. I assume what you really meant was aim glide.

The full list of aim glide related challenges are:

• 'Kill [50-70] enemies' with a possible complication of 'while aim gliding' - doesn't need to be a single aim glide (or even mission), doesn't need to be a headshot
  • 'Kill [15-20] enemies with headshots' with a possible complication of 'while aim gliding' - doesn't need to be a single aim glide (or even mission)
  • 'Get 3 headshot kills in a single aim glide' - the number is fixed at 3, and is never higher

None of the challenges require you to get more than 3 headshots in a single aim glide.

3 minutes ago, ChuckMaverick said:

There are no riven challenges that involve bullet jumps, at all. I assume what you really meant was aim glide.

The full list of aim glide related challenges are:

• 'Kill [50-70] enemies' with a possible complication of 'while aim gliding' - doesn't need to be a single aim glide (or even mission), doesn't need to be a headshot
  • 'Kill [15-20] enemies with headshots' with a possible complication of 'while aim gliding' - doesn't need to be a single aim glide (or even mission)
  • 'Get 3 headshot kills in a single aim glide' - the number is fixed at 3, and is never higher

None of the challenges require you to get more than 3 headshots in a single aim glide.

It's the 'single aim glide'. Which implies bullet jump to get as much air-time as possible (since being glued to a wall doesn't count) if you use anything but a Zephyr (even with Vauban's bounce, you want as much air-time as possible). Also, in my case, the number wasn't 3. The first was 5, the second was 7. Took some doing, but I did manage to get it (in Earth, if anyone's curious, the Kubrows' eyes shine through Syandana and Warframe textures, so you can put a Bastille to immobilize and rain justice from above like a badass).

6 minutes ago, Lyravain said:

It's the 'single aim glide'. Which implies bullet jump to get as much air-time as possible (since being glued to a wall doesn't count) if you use anything but a Zephyr (even with Vauban's bounce, you want as much air-time as possible). Also, in my case, the number wasn't 3. The first was 5, the second was 7. Took some doing, but I did manage to get it (in Earth, if anyone's curious, the Kubrows' eyes shine through Syandana and Warframe textures, so you can put a Bastille to immobilize and rain justice from above like a badass).

The list I detailed above is taken directly from the current riven challenge files, though looking back through previous versions does show higher numbers have been required in the past, so it looks like your wish has already been granted, at least partially.

Also, the 'best' way to complete that challenge is not to bullet jump, but to float in vents on Corpus tilesets which gives you as much time as you need to complete the challenge.

6 hours ago, ChuckMaverick said:

The list I detailed above is taken directly from the current riven challenge files, though looking back through previous versions does show higher numbers have been required in the past, so it looks like your wish has already been granted, at least partially.

Also, the 'best' way to complete that challenge is not to bullet jump, but to float in vents on Corpus tilesets which gives you as much time as you need to complete the challenge.

Meh, I never really complained about the whole thing, to be honest. I found my challenge, thought about it and obliterated all obstacles to getting my Ignis Riven (what was behind the 5-headshot one).

I tend to despise Corpus for the most part. Besides, as I said, there's a reason I chose Kubrows to get it; the red of their eyes glows through your warframe's Syandana, helping get those headshots a lot.