Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So... which dagger(s) is the less useless?

THeMooN85

Question

As the title says...

Basically I don't use daggers in WF at all. IMHO every dagger no matter single or dual is "DA SH*T" and it's useless unless you put Covert Lethality on it.

I prefer something bigger with good reach but I feel bored (MR23, owns everything I could get, tried and did everything in this game, nothing to do) so I want to try stealth game with Ash/Loki/Ivara or something like that...

The question is:

Which dagger/s in Warframe is the best or rather the least bad and why, how to mod one?

17 answers to this question

Sheev is good for bleed procs.
Rakta dark dagger is nice with finishers and pretty much top 1 dagger. Gives a lot of overshields
Ceramic dagger is nice with covert lethality because of it's speed.
This is as far as i know about daggers

Edited by Quanlain

8 minutes ago, THeMooN85 said:

Basically I don't use daggers in WF at all. IMHO every dagger no matter single or dual is "DA SH*T" and it's useless unless you put Covert Lethality on it.

^ You basically answered your own question.  But if you go with one that has Rakta or dark in the name at least you get free energy out of it.

26 minutes ago, WhiteMarker said:

If you play stealth, and use only finishers, then take the ceramic dagger because of the highest attack speed out of the dagger-categorie.

Base speed of a weapon doesn't affect finishers. All weapons of the same class do finishers at the same speed. Only attack speed mods affect this.

5 minutes ago, THeMooN85 said:

And what about Karyst? Any good? I can see it's slow... but has toxin proc and the highest DMG...

It all depends on how you use that thing. There is no need for higher damage, if you just go for the finishers.
And there are other daggers with lower damage, but nice effects. The Rakta Dark Dagger give you Overshield everytime you hit an enemy affected by Radiation-Procs. And the awareness of enemies is somewhat "weaker".
You are basically sacrificing a tad bit of damage for more survivability.
Btw. if you use the Dark Dagger Augment on the Rakta Dark Dagger, you get extra speed if the syndicate-effect triggers. It refills your energy. And the dagger procs a radial viral-proc. I think that gives you more damage over the Karyst over all.

@Naftal really? Didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Edited by WhiteMarker
Nachtrag

Let me point something:

7rz1NnX.jpg

With this dagger, I recover shields + overshields, health if needed, and the red veil's proc grants me energy + 10% temporary movement speed (which in a full squad procs quite often). And I can do a Kuva flood mission with ease and woithout stealth, killing in a few seconds each enemy. Worth mentioning that Pointed wind stance has nice damage multipliers..

Probably due to this it's being one of my most used weapons ingame (I rarely equip a primary on my loadouts).

3Ad9A97.jpg

Honorable mentions: Sheev + Condition Overload + Ash (bleed procs); Heat dagger + ground slams = cc; Karyst (my least used of all) =crit viable (but I haven't dedicated time to it)

Last point: Charged attack on stealth on ALERTED enemies can also kill with 1 hit, with DoT (bleed procs)

Edited by -Oni-Bushido-

All daggers are S#&$ unless you are using them exclusively for finishers, meaning that they are only viable on frames that can open enemies up to finishers. At that point just about every melee weapon in the game is viable rendering covert lethality overkill and not really giving daggers a niche.

Edited by Shreiko

11 minutes ago, Shreiko said:

All daggers are S#&$ unless you are using them exclusively for finishers, meaning that they are only viable on frames that can open enemies up to finishers. At that point just about every melee weapon in the game is viable rendering covert lethality overkill and not really giving daggers a niche.

that's just your opinion, and that's the good thing about this game. different loadouts can be viable. now, if you are only talking about "endgame", then apply your formulae, but for regular basis (sorties and kuva floods) even the kraken can perform well, if you take advantage of the several mechanics in game and mod adequately

(I don't even own a kraken now, I deleted, but you got my idea...) xD

I don't like the Galatine prime... I have to use both speed mods to enjoy it. Should I say that all heavy swords are $=#dfsifnhwejklfswhatever ??

Edited by -Oni-Bushido-

4 minutes ago, -Oni-Bushido- said:

that's just your opinion, and that's the good thing about this game. different loadouts can be viable. now, if you are only talking about "endgame", then apply your formulae, but for regular basis (sorties and kuva floods) even the kraken can perform well, if you take advantage of the several mechanics in game and mod adequately

(I don't even own a kraken now, I deleted, but you got my idea...) xD

I don't like the Galatine prime... I have to use both speed mods to enjoy it. Should I say that all heavy swords are $=#dfsifnhwejklfswhatever ??

I'm under the impression OP was asking for opinions in the matter, so me giving my opinion and calling daggers s-hit isn't out of place. Also, not being rude but I would like to discount your argument on the kraken in reference to my original post because Kraken being effective has nothing to do with me thinking daggers are s-hit. However I do understand the point you make in that different weapons have varying levels of effectiveness dependent on what level of the starchart or enemies they are being used against. My counterpoint to that thought is that the fact that daggers are not as flexible as other melee weapons. In that attempting to use their combos on enemies whether with a raw damage build or a combo counter build will be less fruitful than the majority of other weapons classes. Daggers are near the bottom of the food chain melee-wise if we disregard finishers, and if we take finishers into consideration they don't do anything spectacular besides instantly killing enemies which the plethora of other melee weapons in game good or bad will do just as well.

I feel I am well equipped to give an informed opinion since I alternate between the sheev, karyst and rakta dark dagger often and use them with either Excalibur or Loki depending. One of them can open enemies to finishers and the other cannot, the difference this has on gameplay is rather impactful. Even facing lvl 25-30 enemies players will find that daggers struggle somewhat, they are definitely not a weapon archetype geared towards taking out hordes of enemies. Strikes from daggers will only affect single targets and therefore fall short in Warframe's horde-style gameplay.

14 minutes ago, Shreiko said:

I'm under the impression OP was asking for opinions in the matter, so me giving my opinion and calling daggers s-hit isn't out of place. Also, not being rude but I would like to discount your argument on the kraken in reference to my original post because Kraken being effective has nothing to do with me thinking daggers are s-hit. However I do understand the point you make in that different weapons have varying levels of effectiveness dependent on what level of the starchart or enemies they are being used against. My counterpoint to that thought is that the fact that daggers are not as flexible as other melee weapons. In that attempting to use their combos on enemies whether with a raw damage build or a combo counter build will be less fruitful than the majority of other weapons classes. Daggers are near the bottom of the food chain melee-wise if we disregard finishers, and if we take finishers into consideration they don't do anything spectacular besides instantly killing enemies which the plethora of other melee weapons in game good or bad will do just as well.

I feel I am well equipped to give an informed opinion since I alternate between the sheev, karyst and rakta dark dagger often and use them with either Excalibur or Loki depending. One of them can open enemies to finishers and the other cannot, the difference this has on gameplay is rather impactful. Even facing lvl 25-30 enemies players will find that daggers struggle somewhat, they are definitely not a weapon archetype geared towards taking out hordes of enemies. Strikes from daggers will only affect single targets and therefore fall short in Warframe's horde-style gameplay.

The only downside I notice is that daggers dont have knockdowns on ground slams. For the rest, they are as good as any other type of melee. fast attack speed (maybe 1-2 hits) instead of 1 big swing. Also I'd like to point that with a crowded bunch of enemies I usually target for the toughest, and all the scrubs I try to manage them with abilitites or other mechanics. I agree with you with the 1 target style, but after 2000hours I've noticed that high threat targets are worse than the big horde of butchers around him (even my sentinel can deal with them..) but that big bombard or corpus tech....

But that's just my playstyle. Let's enjoy the game the way you want. probable that's why I normally play randome public matches ;) and not organised squads

5 hours ago, -Oni-Bushido- said:

The only downside I notice is that daggers dont have knockdowns on ground slams. For the rest, they are as good as any other type of melee. fast attack speed (maybe 1-2 hits) instead of 1 big swing. Also I'd like to point that with a crowded bunch of enemies I usually target for the toughest, and all the scrubs I try to manage them with abilitites or other mechanics. I agree with you with the 1 target style, but after 2000hours I've noticed that high threat targets are worse than the big horde of butchers around him (even my sentinel can deal with them..) but that big bombard or corpus tech....

But that's just my playstyle. Let's enjoy the game the way you want. probable that's why I normally play randome public matches ;) and not organised squads

Don't misunderstand, I am not attacking your playstyle, and in fact your tactic of attacking priority targets in a crowd is a good one. The problem lies in your having to resort to such a tactic. The fact remains that the reason you do so is because of the shortcomings of the dagger archetype, they have low damage and short reach. You wouldn't have to compensate for those flaws if you were using something else, thereby making daggers inferior in this regard. The only area where they come to par being finishers, like I mentioned in a previous post.

Edited by Shreiko