The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, wtf is up with Amp's damage multiplier being completely random?

IceColdHawk

I was testing panderos potential with slash procs using following build: Hornet, Barrel, Lethal, 2x Primed Crit mods, Jolt, Pistol Pestilence and Maim. Also testing some damage multipliers out and i found some very mysterious results. Octavias Amp tells me a max dmg multiplier of 3.7x and i MADE SURE it's loud enough and that i actually reached 370% (or rather 369%).

Against a lvl 145 bombard upon headshots i did get around 1800 dmg per slash proc tick. Now with maximum Amp, the slash ticks increased to 3800~. Now i don't know how math works in canada but here in germany, 1800 x 3.7 is not 3800 but rather around 6660. A lot of damage is being lost there. Why? And if this is not funny enough, with rhino roar and a 1.88x damage multiplier which is pretty much like half of that of Amp, it increases slash tick from 1800 to a whopping 6309. 1800 x 1.88 = 6309 confirmed? :D

Okay i thought. Maybe slash procs are just freaking weird just how gas melee was with stealth multipliers. I then tested with raw bullet headcrits against a lvl 145 ancient healer. Same builds and everything. A normal headcrit resulted around 19800 headcrit damage. With rhino roar (1.88x) it resulted into 37000~. Looks legit now hm? Seems like rhinos slash procs are just bugged. Okay then. What about Amp then? Headcrit with Amp (3.7x) resulted from 19800 into.....*drumroll* 42800~ damage. Just wow. Is this real life? 19800 x 3.7 is 42800 now??

I had a theory. And that theory was, that Amp is suffering from the old "Rift Surge Syndrome". What do i mean by it? It was a bugged damage multiplier that stood bugged from limbo release until his rework which is just wow. The syndrome was pretty much that it just didn't take hornet strike into account. So instead of with max power str and a 6.98x multiplier, you just dealt around 3x~ more damage. So yeah, rift surge was always pretty much useless. I'm glad it got dunked.

So to prove my theory i took out hornet strike out of pandero and dealt a 6203 headcrit on the ancient. Now i've tested again Amp....

Guess what.

29141 damage.

Now that's a roughly 4.7x multiplier. How the....??? Anyone able to explain what is going on there? I'm thinking about doing a video and a bug thread but first i want to hear what others have to say regarding this. I might be missing something. Or i just can't do canadian math.

So what is going on? Looks very bugged to me.

Edit: Turns out it gets multiplied by 4.7. Which the game is not telling. It tells a multiplier of 3.7.

Point in case, the damage multiplier is very misleading. Fact. It's not even telling that it only buffs up BASE damage. It only says damage. And by damage, one is (rightfully) assuming that their final damage is getting multiplied. But it's not for some ??? reasons.

Edited by IceColdHawk

1 hour ago, Kyryo said:

The amp works on the base damage, not the modded one.

Case closed.

Oh look, someone trying to act smart. But hey, gotta get that 1st post upvotes eh? :D

Here for you:

Completely base and unmodded and with no damage multiplier going on:

Spoiler

BD65AA989DBF13B86A40D27CB20874516788350E

And here with Amp and 369% damage:

Spoiler

641D82F611B77B93E3D6ADACE64F01D8AE401094

Until you prove me how 82 x 3.7 equals 385, i don't want you to comment here any further. Next time read and understand a topic and what's it about. Thank you.

Edit: Turns out it gets multiplied by 4.7. Which the game is not telling. It tells a multiplier of 3.7.

Point in case, the damage multiplier is very misleading. Fact. It's not even telling that it only buffs up BASE damage. It only says damage. And by damage, one is (rightfully) assuming that their final damage is getting multiplied. But it's not for some ??? reasons.

Edited by IceColdHawk

8 minutes ago, IceColdHawk said:

Until you prove me how 82 x 3.7 equals 385, i don't want you to comment here any further. Next time read and understand a topic and what's it about. Thank you.

It's not multiplied by 3.7, it's multiplied by 4.7. The damage mod increases damage by +370%, or it multiplies the base damage by 4.7

82 x 4.7 = 385

Case closed... again... (who keeps closing these cases all the time?)

16 minutes ago, BetaDude40 said:

It's not multiplied by 3.7, it's multiplied by 4.7. The damage mod increases damage by +370%, or it multiplies the base damage by 4.7

82 x 4.7 = 385

Case closed... again... (who keeps closing these cases all the time?)

Alright okay. I'm being honest. You are right at one point. The point being it gets mutiplied by 4.7 instead of 3.7. I didn't think of that. And wanna know why i didn't think of that?

Simple. Because it is NOT stated like that.

While standing inside the Amp field, Octavia and her allies gain a scaling weapon damage multiplier with a minimum of 0.10x / 0.15x / 0.2x / 0.25x to a maximum of 1.25x / 1.5x / 1.75x / 2x, depending on the sound level in the environment.

From the wiki. And from the game itself:

Spoiler

F3435B85DC11DD19E95EFE83E6E0A85AA9B31FAF

What does 2x mean? Or "MAX DAMAGE MULT" mean? Right. Multiplier. So it tells me that it MULTIPLIES my damage by 3.7. So it's 3.7x. That is NOT +370%. It should properly say how much it actually multiplies. This is misleading to no ends.

Talking about misleading, i'd like to know where it explicitly says "base damage only". I don't know about you but when a game tells me my damage gets multiplied by 3.7, i'm expecting a 3.7 multiplier. And not a "lol it's actually +370% and we also don't take hornet strike into account so your numbers are getting even further mislead".

Look at rhino:

Spoiler

2288AA54487840486498926FEA5569756EF1BAE1

It says multiplier of 1.88x. And it IS an actual 1.88 multiplier. This is RIGHT (slash procs still weird though).

14 minutes ago, LZ94 said:

Did you think of dmg reduction from armor ? Maybe the answer as to why your dmg isnt exactly the way it should be lies here.

12 minutes ago, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

This is the answer definitely because a lvl 145 bombard will more than half your damage.

I only tested slash proc ticks against the bombard. And an ancient has no armor.

Edited by IceColdHawk

Ancient disruptors have no armor but they have an aura that reduces dmg, their weakpoints are the limbs. The head will take a 2x dmg multiplier instead of 3x. Make sure to take into account all that. There are so many factors when it comes to dmg calculation.

11 hours ago, IceColdHawk said:

I only tested slash proc ticks against the bombard. And an ancient has no armor.

as far as i am aware slash procs still ignore armor value anyways. its the enemies armor TYPE that also affects the amount of damage they take. In this case its Alloy Armor, which means they do take less damage from slash damage and procs overall compared to the ancient infested.

From wiki, Amp's multiplier depends on the amount of noise made in the environment from gunfire, screams, your other 3 power etc etc etc.

So I guess it won't amp much if the environment is much quiet.

This is interesting. I myself was confused about the multiplier and how it doesn't seems to apply correct numbers.

Can someone explain what exactly is unmodded dmg.  Does mods like pure % dmg and Multishot count but Elemental dmg does not?

Also what in case the weapon have Element as default dmg type?

Edited by Mover-NeRo

37 minutes ago, Mover-NeRo said:

This is interesting. I myself was confused about the multiplier and how it doesn't seems to apply correct numbers.

Can someone explain what exactly is unmodded dmg.  Does mods like pure % dmg and Multishot count but Elemental dmg does not?

Amp currently works like a riven mod. It increases base damage which scales with elementals but not with hornet strike, serration or heavy caliber. So there is a HUGE damage loss there to what gets promised. Further more, the multiplier number is wrong since unmodded amp doesn't increase your base damage x2 but x3. It shows 2x though and that's not how multipliers work. 2x means double, not triple. So not only is it misleading but it also doesn't account to your overall damage which damage buffs should actually do. Chromas Vex Armor and Rhinos Roar are good examples to compare since they actually work correctly.

1 hour ago, kyori said:

From wiki, Amp's multiplier depends on the amount of noise made in the environment from gunfire, screams, your other 3 power etc etc etc.

So I guess it won't amp much if the environment is much quiet.

I'm well aware of that. ↓

21 hours ago, IceColdHawk said:

Octavias Amp tells me a max dmg multiplier of 3.7x and i MADE SURE it's loud enough and that i actually reached 370% (or rather 369%).

And,

20 hours ago, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

This is the answer definitely because a lvl 145 bombard will more than half your damage.

Against a lvl 145 bombard upon headshots i did get around 1800 dmg per slash proc tick.

Also:

19 hours ago, LZ94 said:

Ancient disruptors have no armor but they have an aura that reduces dmg, their weakpoints are the limbs. The head will take a 2x dmg multiplier instead of 3x. Make sure to take into account all that. There are so many factors when it comes to dmg calculation.

then tested with raw bullet headcrits against a lvl 145 ancient healer.

Further side note: It's healers with the damage reduction aura. And they don't aura themselves.

Please read the OP carefully next time people. It helps.

Edited by IceColdHawk