Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some questions from a new player

(PSN)JohnnyPersia

Question

Hey everyone,

I started playing Warframe about a week ago, and I've been doing a pretty good amount of reading and watching videos in order to understand how the game works. I have a decent handle on some of the more basic mechanics of the game, such as modding, but I still have some questions that I was hoping I could get an answer to.

1) How does progression work? I understand that we level up our frame and weapons to a max of 30. I currently have Excalibur and my weapons in the low 20s. I don't think I've unlocked any of the boss missions for either Earth or Venus yet to unlock any of the frames, which seems to take a while just to open up those missions. This process seems a bit complicated to me, as unlocking new missions requires certain quests, which requires having access to other planets, and so on. But, anyhow, what about weapons? When do I start getting new weapons? They don't seem to just drop as loot.

2) Are attachments for character customization only purchasable through the market or acquired through training? I'm in my low 20s level wise, but I still have the same default, noob look with no changes whatsoever.

3) What is considered typical etiquette for missions that don't seem to ever end? I get rewards such as relics, which I'm not sure what they do yet. But generally, I try to compromise with people, and I stick around for 10 or so waves, but generally I want to finish the missions to progress so I can unlock new frames, and at the moment, I don't want to spend 45 minutes to an hour or more on a single mission just increasing the waves. So what is the etiquette here when I seem to get grouped with more experienced players?

I just wanted to mention that I have played games like Defiance, Destiny, and the Division (especially a lot of this). Some things seem similar, other things really different.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these!

Edited by (PS4)JohnnyPersia
Added info

16 answers to this question

1: Progression works by getting weapons, new frames, and even pets, to increase mastery rank. However, don't think a high mastery rank is needed (unless you want the top tier weapons). You get new weapons (basic weapons from getting the blueprints from the market, usually around 25,000 credits), and you get prime weapons and frames from using those relics you got from missions. Different relics are required for a full weapon. Say you want to make Paris Prime. You'll find the Paris Prime blueprint in Lith N1. You'll then need the string, and the upper and lower limb. The limbs will be in, say, Neo A1. 

For getting to bosses on planets, you have to complete the missions on the way to the boss mission.

2: Most character customization (here, it's called fashion frame) is mainly in the store. However, like the Pacifism Defect operation that just passed, you were able to get cosmetics from doing missions. There are also daily missions where you can find different weapons from different frames. In one daily alert, you could get an Oberon Oryx helmet, etc. It changes every day.

3: There is no etiquette. Don't let people talk trash because you left at wave 10, it's understandable since you're a lower level right now. 

On the other side, people typically stay until wave 15 or 25, rarely 25. 

Kudos for playing The Division, I loved the game. I just don't play anymore because the friends I did play with are now on Ghost Recon: Wildlands, like I am.

Edited by (XB1)Ginger Bruhv

18 minutes ago, (PS4)JohnnyPersia said:

Hey everyone,

I started playing Warframe about a week ago, and I've been doing a pretty good amount of reading and watching videos in order to understand how the game works. I have a decent handle on some of the more basic mechanics of the game, such as modding, but I still have some questions that I was hoping I could get an answer to.

1) How does progression work? I understand that we level up our frame and weapons to a max of 30. I currently have Excalibur and my weapons in the low 20s. I don't think I've unlocked any of the boss missions for either Earth or Venus yet to unlock any of the frames, which seems to take a while just to open up those missions. This process seems a bit complicated to me, as unlocking new missions requires certain quests, which requires having access to other planets, and so on. But, anyhow, what about weapons? When do I start getting new weapons? They don't seem to just drop as loot.

2) Are attachments for character customization only purchasable through the market or acquired through training? I'm in my low 20s level wise, but I still have the same default, noob look with no changes whatsoever.

3) What is considered typical etiquette for missions that don't seem to ever end? I get rewards such as relics, which I'm not sure what they do yet. But generally, I try to compromise with people, and I stick around for 10 or so waves, but generally I want to finish the missions to progress so I can unlock new frames, and at the moment, I don't want to spend 45 minutes to an hour or more on a single mission just increasing the waves. So what is the etiquette here when I seem to get grouped with more experienced players?

I just wanted to mention that I have played games like Defiance, Destiny, and the Division (especially a lot of this). Some things seem similar, other things really different.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these!

1- You have rank for Warframe/Weapons/Companions and all of those mr point count into your global MR that you need to pass a test to increase. Dont worry not MR point goes to waste if you dont rank up they will be reported on your next rank anyway. Only 1 test can be done in 24 hours. If you fail it you can rety in 24 hours. You can also practice into the simaris room. To unlock nodes and other stuff you dont need mr just need to unlock the correct junctions ( some of them may require specific MR thougth). Once you have an MR30 weapons you can start using an unranked weapons instead. Its a good idea to always keep a maxed weapon in case of trouble. same for warframes you can rank up a unranked frame with all maxed weapons ^.^

2- Cosmetics are not tradable as far as i know. Most of them cost plat from the market but some of them can be sold by Baro and others are from events ( there is color palettes every year for a bunch of event and they cost 1 credits btw)

3- to regroup with tenno you can try recruiting tab. There is no actual etiquette for missions. Most of the time tenno will follow what fellow tenno ask. If you ask to do like 20 minutes ( all rewards in survival goes at 5 minutes and rotation goes like AABC so 20 minutes you get a shot at all rewards so no tenno will be like "but i need rotation C"). Of course thats for survival. for defense its every 5 waves but its still the sames rotations.

If you have any questions feel free to ask ^.^

Oh and welcome to the forum tenno ^.^ 

Edited by trunks013

1.  Do as many missions as possible, it'll help out later with resources, junctions, nightmare mode, etc. To actually unlock new planets, you need to complete junctions between them, which have listed requirements to open them. Do those and then you can go there and unlock the next planet. You'll find weapons in the market, which is the console to the left in the front of your ship if you're facing the ramp. The top left is a drop down menu. Most weapons can be crafted, with the blueprints being listed at the bottom once you actually pick a weapon to look at. Some weapons like the Mk1 Strun, which is a shotgun, you can buy right away for credits, those are beginner weapons and won't be as powerful, but a good way to build up MR to get to the next level, since some weapons and things are MR locked. The game tells you now when you qualify for the next rank, so no worries there.
  2. All cosmetics, except a few, are Market only
  3. Go as long as you can, wait at extraction if it gets too hard for you. You can often ask other players in chat to leave.

1 There is a specific planet order that you need to complete and most of it is self explanatory. the start is Earth > venus > mercury > mars > phobos > Ceres
Most basic weapons can be found in the market as blueprints. You can get the blueprints with credits and build them with resources. There are more weapons available trough clans and the void but worry about the more easily available stuff first

2 Almost all of it is platinum with some very rare exceptions like event rewards and syndicate faction rewards

3 just leave at wave 5 if you wish. people may not like it at times but they are the ones with bad etiquette at that point as they already expected someone to stay longer while they should not have.

And welcome o/

Welcom Tenno.

1: Progression works almost exactly as you described. Rank up you frames and weapons.
You get your weapons from the market: Look for a weapon you want and click on it. Now there are some tabs where the description is, the one that looks like credits is the one you want. Some of them are the blueprints of the weapons: you buy it with credits and craft. Some of them have their blueprints available in clan dojos.

2: From the market only. There are very rare "tactical alerts" and events that have them as a reward. I think I saw only one like that the give cosmetics as a reward. There is also Baro who comes to the relays every second week, he have cosmetics most of the times, but he accepts only Ducats for them. What ducats are? I'll tough that in the Relics next.

3: You don't need to stay for too long. The moment you have extraction available. You completed the mission. In Defense it's 5 waves, Survival 5 minutes, Interseption every round, etc. If you want to progress and unlock more planets, you need to complete the missions and junctions that you havn't done yet. The missions are orginized as a road map so you can see what you get by completing the missions.

4: Relics are your way to get prime gear. There are Void Fissure missions where you do your regular mission but also need to collect something that the enemies drop. Getting 10 will give you a reward from the relic you used. In the relays you have a place o trade prime gear for ducats, this is how you get them.

I'm short in time so I can't write much more now. Feel free to ask me anything and I'll respond when I can.

1. In the market there's a weapons section that sells craftable blueprints. You buy them, then collect necessary materials and then craft them in the foundry. Same is for warframes, but with warframes market only sells main blueprint, which requires 3 parts (chassis, systems, neuroptics), blueprints for which drop from various bosses and quests, so you gotta get those blueprints first, craft them separtately, then craft the main blueprint that requires the 3 crafted parts. Also, since warframe and weapon slots are limited, if you didn't like a particular weapon or frame, you can sell them after you've gotten them to level 30 to free up slots, because they already are counted towards your account's rank progression. Also, some weapon and frame blueprints are sold in clan dojos, so you can join a clan, go to dojo, find one of 4 labs (grineer lab, corpus lab, infested lab and tenno lab), where you can buy blueprints for the associated weapons/frames (assuming the clan has researched them already).

2. Yes, attachemnts and color sets (palettes) are all usually available for premium currency (plat). The void trader sometimes sells some cosmetics for ingame currency (ducats), but that's a whole different story. Helmets you can get from alerts.

3. Usually best rewards come at 20 wave intervals, as in wave 5 - small reward, wave 10 - small reward, wave 15 - medium reward, wave 20 - best reward. But don't worry about etiquette on leaving, especially since you're new. If people want a specific mission for a specific number of waves and a specific reward, they'll assemble a premade group. If you just auto-joined the mission to complete it for progression, you can leave after 5 waves just fine (I mean you didn't sign up for anything so nobody can/should be mad about you leaving).

Progression:  Warframe is loot based. Loot that has been leveld up to lvl 30 will grant you Master Rank exp. Which will later grant you access to more Weapons.

Progression through gameplay: When you reach the boss in Venus then try to farm Rhino for a great tank frame for new players. Then go for the Mercury boss (Captain Vor) you can farm for both Cronus and Seer, both are great weapons for new players and you will have resources to build them directly. This will be enough for you too slowly snowball through the system. Once all your gear is lvl 30, you can try to look at the market for newer and better weapons that you can build.

Once you have a basic setup go for Quests and try to build up your basic mods for your Frame: Health, Armor, Shield, Power Duration, Power Strength, Power Efficiency and Power Range,(Shield mod is great for you early on but they become less useful later on). For Weapons go for: Damage and Elemental Mods.

Customization: There are Cosmetics that a free which are from Baro, and he uses Ducats which are salvaged Prime parts that you get from Relics.(you salvage Prime parts at the Relays)

Endurance Game Mods: These are game mods like Interception, Defense and Survival. These Game mods can go on for as long as you want and have Rotations for their rewards. These rotations are divided in A, B and C.  A= Lower tier drop, B = Higher tier drop and C = Highest tier drop.

The order of these rotations are A/A/B/C. Example on Interception every 1 round is a rotation. so 1/2/3/4 = A/A/B/C. Then it repeats, 5/6/7/8 = A/A/B/C and so on.

For Survival  one rotation is 5 min and on Defense one rotation is 5 waves.

Good luck and Hopefully this will be Helpful!

Edited by Prelizm

20 minutes ago, (PS4)JohnnyPersia said:

The only "progression" there is to be made is your mastery rank. This is accomplished by leveling your weapons, frames, and companions to level 30. Every weapon is worth 3000 points, and every frame and companion is worth 6000 points. Weapon and warframe blueprints can mostly be purchased for credits in the market.

Once you have the blueprints, you must build the item with the required resources. Warframe blueprints can only be built once you have obtained and built the corresponding parts (systems, chassis, and neuroptics) which are dropped from assassination missions. You'll need to replay that mission multiple times until the proper blueprints drop as a reward. The same concept applies to prime weapons and frames which drop from the relics you have obtained.

27 minutes ago, (PS4)JohnnyPersia said:

95% of cosmetics can only be purchased with platinum, along with slots for more warframes and weapons. Platinum can be purchased with real money, or traded for with other players for something of value to them. Sometimes this can be a rare mod, or prime part or weapon depending. You will not be able to trade until you have reached mastery rank 2, however. Discounts can be awarded when you log in, up to 75% off which is a great value. I would get to know the game a bit more and wait for a decent discount as cosmetics have no effect on the game. They are purely for appearance only. Once upon a time, there were helmets which provided stat changes for frames. These are valuable items that can only be obtained through trade now, and are usually very expensive.

36 minutes ago, (PS4)JohnnyPersia said:

Dont worry about the group so much right now. Being as new of a player as you are, you arent going to make or break their mission by leaving whenever you want. On the contrary, by staying longer with them, it helps you out more. Endless missions have rewards on a rotation basis. AABC is how it works. Waves 5 and 10 will both be on rotation A, 15 on B, and 20 on C. Each rotation has its own set of rewards and repeat as a cycle. Each set of rewards have their own drop chances with the items in it. Usually you will find the most valuable items in rotation C, or every 20 waves. Rewards can include relics, mods, warframe or weapon parts depending on specific missions.

Same thing with enemies. Every enemy has its own drop table of mods or items with its own rarity. A lot of times, people will play an endless mission specifically because a particular enemy will spawn more often giving them a better chance to get something they are looking for. People also do it because its a great way to level weapons and frames the more difficult it gets.

fair warning about bosses. after killing them you may get a message in your inbox from a guy called the stalker. he randomly shows up in missions to kill you. he is very powerful but will be a easy for veteran players and likes to announce his presence so let your team mates know if he does show. he drops some blueprints that are unique to him some of which are very powerful.

50 minutes ago, (PS4)JohnnyPersia said:

Thanks again to all the responses!

If cosmetics can only be purchased by platinum, it is possible to trade for platinum or do most of you just buy it?

Answered that already bro. You gotta actually read all the responses, or dont bother with the question.

10 hours ago, Faulcun said:

Platinum can be purchased with real money, or traded for with other players for something of value to them. Sometimes this can be a rare mod, or prime part or weapon depending. You will not be able to trade until you have reached mastery rank 2, however. Discounts can be awarded when you log in, up to 75% off which is a great value. I would get to know the game a bit more and wait for a decent discount as cosmetics have no effect on the game. They are purely for appearance only. Once upon a time, there were helmets which provided stat changes for frames. These are valuable items that can only be obtained through trade now, and are usually very expensive.

He did answer you. Forget cosmetics. Platinum is the main currency for all trades. 

Your first 50 platinum cannot be used for trades. Use them for warframe and weapon slots. Reach Mastery rank 2 before you start to go into trading. 

For example:

If you get a Valkyr Prime Set it can go for around 110-150 platinum. Check prices on https://warframe.market/

My advice is to not go into trading and platinum for now.

1) Level up you warframe to 30. 

2) Keep doing missions to on the star chart

3) Get to Venus and do the jackal over and over again until u have all parts for Rhino Warframe. Blueprint you can buy for normal credits not platinum from warframe market (not trade chat)

4) Now you will have 2 warframes which can do probably the whole start chart.

5) Rest you will learn along the way

Get these first before even getting into platinum and trading 

Please complete these Quests as they are necessary in my opinion

Vor's Prize, The arch wing, The howl of Kubrow