Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

First Orokin reactor, which frame to use on?

Terranos-Rift

Question

So I'm MR7 atm, have been playing about 2 weeks.

Got my first gold potato from an alert and wondering which frame would be best suited to use it on. Currently I have....

Excalibur - First frame

Rhino - Second ever frame, does ok but doesn't seem as tanky as I expected, suspect lack of mods to be the reason.

Frost - 3rd frame and one I quite enjoy.

Mag - Not maxed yet and really not very good with it, not sure if it gets better with more mods though.

Valkyr - Under construction, 3 days away still, if I wait I may end up with another reactor during that time for all I know.

Currently I mostly solo the star map (up to Saturn/Europa so far) run alerts in pub mm and some void fissures. Ideally I want to finish the map and have an end game viable (even if not optimal) frame.

Being newish I don't have the full complement of mods so looking for something that's viable with the budget mods available to new players.

17 answers to this question

Rhino is a solid choice for your first potato, since he's much more versatile/flexible than the rest and doesn't rely on team support as much, and you're running solo. Later on, you can always specialize him as a buffer or even CC frame. 

Granted, potato alone won't magically make you better - you still have to fill that space with mods, and that means getting your hands on and ranking up a bunch of them. Read: credits and Endo. Lots of credits and endo. If survivability is your primary concern, try maxing out Vitality and Steel Fiber, for example, with Redirection afterwards.

Oh, and grab an Iron Shrapnel mod if you can. Being able to recast Iron Skin at any time increases your life expectancy by quite a lot, since you no longer have to walk into fights with 2% of Iron Skin remaining. 

Edited by Reifnir

12 minutes ago, Terranos-Rift said:

-snip-

There's an invasion right now on Ker, Ceres for a Orokin Reactor or an Orokin Catalyst , go do it asap. There'll be an alert for either a Reactor or a Catalyst todat after the Devstream, try to catch that as well. 

The first Reactor usually goes towards the frame that you like the most and you know best. I personally would recommend Frost since he's so versatile. 

19 minutes ago, aligatorno said:

There's an invasion right now on Ker, Ceres for a Orokin Reactor or an Orokin Catalyst , go do it asap. There'll be an alert for either a Reactor or a Catalyst todat after the Devstream, try to catch that as well. 

The first Reactor usually goes towards the frame that you like the most and you know best. I personally would recommend Frost since he's so versatile. 

Excellent! Thanks for the heads up.

Go With Frost... purely because it was the only one you mentioned "one I quite enjoy". Like others have stated you WILL get more reactors and catalysts... work with what you enjoy the most... the rest will come before you even notice.

Frost has an incredible skill set where he can defend/support or go ape and kill... Rhino is Hard and fast (ideal for soloists)..So is Valkyr... Excalibur is great too but imho I'd go with frost as he has most options in missions

3 hours ago, aligatorno said:

I need the Orokin Reactor too.... I'm working right now so I can try after the Devstream but, what's it that?

Valkyr doesn't need any potato : she's able to do her job without until very high level. (you only need a potato if you intend to use her as your main).

Rhino is quite versatile, at least at low-to-mid levels : good crowd control, good tankyness (do you use your 2 ?) and immunity to status effect. A strong choice for a first potato.

Frost is very good at his job, but not very versatile : he's one of the best frame when you don't intend to move (eg defense missions), and one of the worst when you have to move. A solid choice for a potato, but maybe not for the first one.

Mag was my first frame, I really like her and I potatoed her, and I think she's far stronger than people give her credit for. But there are better frame doing the same job. So, I wouldn't recommand a potato except if you really like her.

I still don't have excal.

So Rhino or Excal; anyway, any frame you enjoy playing is a good choice (for now I haven't seen any frame so weak she's useless; all frame aren't equal, but not to the point of making some of them useless). If you enjoy Frost far more than Rhino, then go for Frost.