Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Oberon Feedback 20.3.1 and beyond

ScribbleClash

5 minutes ago, n_0x said:

So if the armor shred is so good why did he need to have a corrosive projection on his builds? If he's doing "the top damage" why is every damage frame still doing more damage? Also bouncing off the first point, why do we need Oberon's armor shred when a squad can run 4 corrosive projections without him? Why do we need his heals when trin, equinox, and nidus can heal better with better results? 

But biggest point even IF his kit becomes mechanically ok, why would he be considered pick over anyone else that does what he can do but better and easier?

Easy answers that have all been explained in the myriad Oberon threads in the last few days.

• CP is still useful because your initial engagement with the enemy has them with reduced armor not reliant on the 4.
  • He is not a damage frame so you shouldn't expect him to out damage damage frames.
  • When in PuGs you normally do not discuss aura loadouts so the armor debuff is there as a gap filler if needed.
  • Again, in PuGs you cannot guarantee a dedicated healer frame will be present, the heal over time is there as a gap filler if needed.
    • side note equinox is more cumbersome at applying a burst heal than Trinity and much slower to begin applying a heal than Oberon due to switching forms/activating 4/building damage/deactivating 4/hopefully teammates are in range.

So went to friends house and played the reworked Oberon, saw some videos, then went back to my console and played with the old one to compare. He's not worse after the rework, but I wouldn't say he's better. I think he is just different.

So Reckoning now reduces armor by 30% at base. Frost's Avalanche reduces armor by 40% at base. Frost needs ~254% power strength to strip armor completely. That said, I think Reckoning should have 45 to 50% armor striping at base so he doesn't need to slot in Blind Rage and Transient Fortitude to get 100% armor stripping. They should also double the blind duration to 8 seconds, maybe even 10. I really don't have a problem with a base 15 meters. Avalanche is base 15. Rhino Stomp is base 25 meters. So maybe put Oberon's Reckoning at 20 because it doesn't do as much damage as Avalanche but it doesn't CC as hard as Rhino's Stomp.

Hallowed Ground USED to give an armor bonus without the need to cast Renewal. Now you need Renewal to get the armor bonus. That is forcing synergy. DE should have to force it. Give Hallowed Ground back it's ability to buff armor without Renewal and keep it a flat bonus. I would also say that Hallowed Ground should be the toggle, not renewal. It would be really great if hallowed ground was a 20 to 25 meter radius circle at base around Oberon that drained 3 energy per second, obviously scaling with Range, Duration and Efficiency. Allied would just have to walk through to get the armor buff and they keep it for a scaling duration and enemies in Hallowed Ground's aura take damage and are hit with radiation procs that have a base 35 to 40% status chance. Force comparison, World on Fire has a base  35% status chance.

Renewal should give percent Damage reduction for the duration of the heal. Imagine if Hallowed Ground gave squad mates 450 flat armor and allied hit with Renewal inside Hallowed Ground got an additional percent damage reduction. That way squishies can appreciate the flat armor buff, but tanks like Valkyr and Chroma, who really don't care about another 400 armor, would benefit from the damage reduction. Blessing starts at base 50% and caps at 75% so I think Oberon should scale the same. Maybe start at 30% and cap at 75% damage reduction. Also think it would work better as a cast instead of a toggle. Having a 2 energy drain per second and a 3 energy drain per ally is expensive as hell. Imagine if your squad has companions, someone summons a spectre and a nekros with max power strength summons shadows. That drain would be terrible.

Smite's orbs after impact should get a base damage, too. 100 damage plus the 35% of enemies health and shields. I'm not really expecting a 1 to really kill anything in 1 shot after level 50. What would be really good is if Smite got a Blind effect like Reckoning. After you knock down with Smite they get back up blinded and proc'd with Radiation so when they can see again they attack other enemies because that is the first thing they see, instead of attacking the player. Saw someone say this in another post but it would be nice if Enemies in Hallowed Ground that are hit by Smite returned energy per hit. Think about it, the first hit of smite gives 5 energy than the six orbs at base give 5 energy. Smite is 25 energy to cast so you'd get 30 energy back  meaning you get 5 energy to you pool. Maybe scale the energy return up but...

Most passives are useless. I actually like the new one. Though they cold buff it more. Say let pets auto revive multiple times but limit it with a 1 minute cool down between revives..

Edited by (PS4)DBR87

1 minute ago, robbybe01234 said:

Easy answers that have all been explained in the myriad Oberon threads in the last few days.

• CP is still useful because your initial engagement with the enemy has them with reduced armor not reliant on the 4.
  • He is not a damage frame so you shouldn't expect him to out damage damage frames.
  • When in PuGs you normally do not discuss aura loadouts so the armor debuff is there as a gap filler if needed.
  • Again, in PuGs you cannot guarantee a dedicated healer frame will be present, the heal over time is there as a gap filler if needed.
    • side note equinox is more cumbersome at applying a burst heal than Trinity and much slower to begin applying a heal than Oberon due to switching forms/activating 4/building damage/deactivating 4/hopefully teammates are in range.

I know it was sarcasm against the video and points he made in the video. I actually want oberon to have a new kit. And the cumbersome aspect is easily negated with range and equinox being by the team and moving.
That's why i ended with "But biggest point even IF his kit becomes mechanically ok, why would he be considered pick over anyone else that does what he can do but better and easier?"

P.S. it's kills not damge

1 hour ago, Ardhanarishvara said:

Personally I think the game would be a whole lot better if other warframes had as many effects on some of their abilities. Still, for a jack of all trades like Oberon, having many effects to make up for their general lack of potency shouldn't be too much of a surprise.

But it's having too many effects that are used as an excuse not to give power proper potency. 

49 minutes ago, LuckyCharm said:

So allies having to run over nezhas thin little firewalker trail is easier than over a big carpet of hallowed ground, and easier to maintain? As for the warding halo, sure an extra 700 hp shield is helpful but thats why oberon has an armor buff and a heal

Compared to the "big carpet" you need to always be on to have the status benefit versus just running on the trails he leaves behind or running behind him and a 700hp shield for the team from a non healer frame ? Truly how can anyone compete?

Edited by n_0x

51 minutes ago, Music4Therapy said:

Requiring being shot in the face is not a solution, its a bandaid. And not a very effective one.

It is for someone with health regain per second that surpasses 60 and can effectively triple his own armour on average. In my case in particular I'm darn near quadrupling it. Just need to forma a bit more and slap an exilus slot on there.

He isn't tanky enough to have being shot in the face be a viable method of energy restoration unless you're stuck on the star chart.

Spoiler

Sitting still in a crowd of 20 level 140 heavy gunners in the Simulacrum is not a very good measure of Oberon's tankiness. After Iron Renewal, with the proper build, you can effectively halve the damage he takes. And with Shield Gating coming in sometime soon (that is to say, shields blocking out one hit kills) he's going to be even tankier, no longer being susceptible to one hit kills (like so many other 'frames).

If he had a solution to his energy problem in his kit, he would be able to use his mod slots for something else.

You could say that about gosh darn diddly near every warframe in the game, except those who rely almost exclusively on only one skill, maybe two. I don't think "LET THEM SPAM ABILITIES TO RECOVER ENERGY" is a good gameplay mechanic in general. Having to prepare a mod setup or other options externally to recover energy is not bad. It introduces variety into a game dominated by overpowered crowd control and overpowered weapons, and allows Oberon substantially more variety as well. As for your argument about balance and pets, it's worth noting that he's well equipped for a pet build thanks to his passive and his abilities. I think it's a wonderful idea to include a pet in balancing him.

Right now, Oberon has to dedicate 3-4 mod slots MINIMUM to a combination of Rage, Streamline, Fleeting Expertise, and Primed Flow.

You're overstating it. Currently I only have Streamline and Rage. No Fleeting Expertise, no Primed Flow. Not yet anyway. Unless I run into a crowd of Parasite Eximus and cast Reckoning twice in a row, I rarely run into energy problems, and I don't even have any other external equipment for recovering energy like a Sahasa Kubrow, or Energy Restore gear, or syndicate weapons/mods. And this is coming from the kind of person who slaps Fleeting Expertise on everything.

You literally JUST contradicted yourself.

I don't believe I did.

You just said his energy pool is preventing him from utilizing his kit for long. Energy SUSTAIN via an energy gaining mechanic is the solution to that problem.

It is A solution to that problem. Increasing his energy pool would be, too, as he regains energy with Rage or a Sahasa Kubrow quickly enough to offer him a lot more leeway in using his abilities. A larger energy pool means being able to sustain health recovery for a whole team under fire for longer. A larger energy pool means freer usage of 1, 2, and 4 in general because he'd have a longer period of time available to recover that pool before he runs out. Alternatively, improving the mechanics of his other abilities might result in not needing to cast as often, which would also help improve his energy consumption rate.

Every other frame that relies on synergies within their kit to work, Saryn/Nidus/Octavia/Limbo, all have ways to cut energies costs and/or gain energy within their kit. Oberon doesn't. His energy pool will likely be increased when his prime variant is released. Not only would the ability to gain energy in his kit help him utilize his full kit, it would allow him to use more power strength/duration mods to make what abilities he has stronger and would be an indirect buff to the rest of his kit.

I believe you. But I don't think in-kit energy regain is the necessary answer. Plus, I'm one of the folks that gets attached to 'frames I spend a lot of time playing with, and would prefer not to feel obligated to abandon Oberon just because Oberon Prime will have +75 max energy pool at R30. It'd be nice if Oberon had 200 and Oberon Prime had 225.

Edited by Ardhanarishvara
Clarification in the final paragraph.

58 minutes ago, Chipputer said:

Suddenly when Oberon is in the spotlight all sorts of frames are Jack of all Trades, eh?

Is this kind of like how kids are now saying Radiation is horrible but will swear on their lives that Nyx's Chaos is amazing CC?

If you agree upon Oberon being a JOAT then all the other frames that were mentioned are also JOAT'S. Hell, Oberon doesn't even have a buff making him less of a JOAT than some other frames.

... And stop being so pretentious. You don't sound clever. At all.

The way I see it, if they truly want to buff Oberon and if they truly want his abilities to synergize without making him a poor-man's Nidus, there are a couple things we could work with. So far the biggest complaints I have seen are pertaining to poor use of synergies due to energy restrictions, poor use of synergies due to range restrictions, and too many things happening to keep track of properly. I'm not sure if I could suggest anything for that last one other than think harder about what Oberon's actual niche is on a team and make him less generalized, but for the other two I might have something.

I'm just going to heap a whole bunch of things on the table at once but I'm just spitballing here so don't assume I'd like all these things at once or without replacing something else. Each idea is modular to be considered individually.

• In general, adjust the range of his abilities with their related synergies in mind. Like, make the radius of Reckoning and Hallowed Ground scale identically so that casting them in succession will result in enemies most likely being effected by both.
  • Make Renewal function more like Equinox's Pacify and Provoke in that it is channeled but only drains energy when targets come under its effects, in this case when a target that needs healing or receives Iron Renewal is hit by a pulse. This would allow other sources of energy regen besides energy orbs to work on Oberon while Renewal is up, like Energy Siphon, Energy Overflow, Team Energy Restores, Energy Vampire, etc.
  • Make Renewal more efficient if Iron Renewal is active as a synergy with Hallowed Ground, or even grant some energy back for triggering Iron Renewal.
  • Make Smite's secondary projectiles restore bits of energy upon hit, allowing Oberon to reduce its net cost in general or even use it to recover some energy when used in large crowds or crowded spaces.
  • Make Smite restore energy when used on targets currently standing on Hallowed Ground.
  • Make enemies killed by Reckoning or while under its additional effects have a chance to drop energy spheres if they are on Hallowed Ground.
  • Make enemies killed by Reckoning restore energy to Oberon directly if they are on Hallowed Ground.
  • Make irradiated enemies explode into small pulses when killed by one of Oberon's abilities, restoring energy to Oberon (maybe even his allies) if they are within the radius. (This is a recommendation to change his Passive).
  • Make irradiated enemies within Renewal's pulses restore energy to Oberon when struck by a pulse.
  • Replace or combine energy with healing or overshields in any of these cases as appropriate.

Do ANY of those sound workable?

12 minutes ago, n_0x said:

I know it was sarcasm against the video and points he made in the video. I actually want oberon to have a new kit. And the cumbersome aspect is easily negated with range and equinox being by the team and moving.
That's why i ended with "But biggest point even IF his kit becomes mechanically ok, why would he be considered pick over anyone else that does what he can do but better and easier?"

P.S. it's kills not damge

Well, yeah that's why I included the point about Equinox's healing in response to your claim of her doing a "thing" better than Oberon.  She doesn't.  She does it in a different way that yields different results.  This is the same with other frames that do a thing better than him but they arent a good comparison for "better" because of the other 3 different abilities in their kit among other things.  If there was another Oberon that had the same kit but bigger numbers and faster cast times then yes, everyone would pick the better one.  So you bring Oberon over someone else if you want to help out any combination of balanced or unbalanced frame teams. (i.e. tank/tank/tank/oberon - healer/tank/dps/oberon).

renewal drain mechanics feel like they discourage group play which is what a support is supposed to do (group play that is). Drain should not be affected by the number of targets and instead should just be one static drain per second.

50 minutes ago, Volinus7 said:

Not a min-max video? :sleep:

Oberon isn't a min/max frame. He's an all-rounder that needs to be built as such. If you don't then you get a garbage Oberon build, which is what a good portion of the people saying his rework was bad are using.

I'm not a guy that rages out if something isnt op. Matter of fact, anyone that sees me on here probably sees me arguing in defense of frames that people consider weak. Oberon, and especially his current iteration are in this boat. 

Smite-I personally feel like this is a good spot, but seeing as a lot of people dont, it should probably get some kind of synergy with hallowed ground like his other 2 moves. I propose that the damage per orb isnt split if both oberon and an enemy is on a hallowed ground patch when struck by an orb. This is the only move in his kit that has no hallowed ground synergy for some reason, and this change incentivizes people to build for power strength, since it would not only increase the utility of his entire kit, but it would also give him the damage, should he choose to use the energy required for that synergy. People dont want to be punished for trying to maximize a move. 

Hallowed ground-The single best thing about this rework, the only thing i would change is to make the status chance flat, and unaffected by power strength, but only if my proposed change to smite didnt happen. Right now, if you want to maximize the punch of smite, you need negative power strength, but you're nerfing the rest of your entire kits utility in that process. If smite stays how it currently is, i think that keeping a flat 15% radiation chance is fair. 

Renewal-I personally love what was done with renewal, but from observing the community, i think cutting the per teammate drain entirely would keep people happy. I understand that its purpose isnt to just indefinitely keep your teammates tanky with a HoT, but this is what the community wants. It wouldnt break the game, it would make him easier to use, and in fairness other frames with energy drain abilities dont use energy nearly as fast while the abilities are also killing enemies. Its a fair argument that renewal should only drain what it currently drains for one teammate, across the board.

Reckoning- Its funny how people were always saying this is his only good move pre rework, it only got better, but now they think its trash. Either way, crank the armor debuff up to 40%. Its nothing op, other frames can shred armor better, and to fully shred armor, oberon would still need 250% power strength to do it. That means at the very LEAST he would need both a maxed blind rage and a maxed transient fortitude. If you didnt wanna destroy your efficiency, it would take FOUR power strength mods to accomplish full armor shredding. So yeah, 40% is fair, without being overpowered. I would also be willing to sacrifice the blind on reckoning to get past 50% at base. No one intentionally uses the blind anyway.  Either those suggestions, or just make the armor shred max armor instead of current armor. 

TLDR;

-Make smite orbs not divide between enemies when both oberon and enemy are on hallowed ground 

-Make Hallowed Grounds status chance a flat 15 or 20% 

-completely remove renewals per target energy drain entirely, and raise the base energy per second just a bit to compensate 

-Raise reckonings armor shred to 40% at the very least. Or make the armor shred affect max armor instead of current armor. As of right now, its just a really expensive corrosive proc. 

All this in mind, i'm pro-oberon rework, and found it to be fantastic. As good as hallowed ground is, i feel the need to cast reckoning SOO much less now, and with renewal being a toggle, there is literally never a time when phoenix renewal wont be a boon to your team. Plus smite does $&*&*#(%& damage when enemies dont have armor (which is why the ability to full shred armor for using 150 energy should have been a no brainer)

52 minutes ago, Ardhanarishvara said:

It is for someone with health regain per second that surpasses 60 and can effectively triple his own armour on average. In my case in particular I'm darn near quadrupling it. Just need to forma a bit more and slap an exilus slot on there.

Reveal hidden contents

1) At best he is about as tanky as a naked Valkyr.

2) The video means nothing, and Sword & Shield weapons are one of the few weapon types that grant 85% damage reduction while blocking.

Sitting still in a crowd of 20 level 140 heavy gunners in the Simulacrum is not a very good measure of Oberon's tankiness. After Iron Renewal, with the proper build, you can effectively halve the damage he takes. And with Shield Gating coming in sometime soon (that is to say, shields blocking out one hit kills) he's going to be even tankier, no longer being susceptible to one hit kills (like so many other 'frames).

No, but seeing that he will have somewhere between a naked Chroma and a naked Valkyr's worth of total armor, he shouldn't be relying on rage. Especially when unlikes many other frames, he doesn't have a trash stat.

You could say that about gosh darn diddly near every warframe in the game, except those who rely almost exclusively on only one skill, maybe two. I don't think "LET THEM SPAM ABILITIES TO RECOVER ENERGY" is a good gameplay mechanic in general. Having to prepare a mod setup or other options externally to recover energy is not bad. It introduces variety into a game dominated by overpowered crowd control and overpowered weapons, and allows Oberon substantially more variety as well. As for your argument about balance and pets, it's worth noting that he's well equipped for a pet build thanks to his passive and his abilities. I think it's a wonderful idea to include a pet in balancing him.

No, you can't. Not every frame requires that they drop a magic carpet on the floor in order to obtain the maximum benefit from their abilities. Hallowed Ground and Renewal aren't anything special without their synergies, Most frames have either 1 or 2 abilities that make the whole kit (Atlas, Chroma, Wukong, Zephyr, etc...) or have a strong overall kit that have abilities that act well independently of each other. Oberon doesn't have that. Same with Limbo, Saryn, Octavia, and Nidus. Their kits rely on the synergy between their abilities in order to maximize their potential and that is why they have energy regen mechanics within their kits, they are combo based.

You're overstating it. Currently I only have Streamline and Rage. No Fleeting Expertise, no Primed Flow. Not yet anyway. Unless I run into a crowd of Parasite Eximus and cast Reckoning twice in a row, I rarely run into energy problems, and I don't even have any other external equipment for recovering energy like a Sahasa Kubrow, or Energy Restore gear, or syndicate weapons/mods. And this is coming from the kind of person who slaps Fleeting Expertise on everything.

If you try to utilize the armor stripping effect against the grineer, you'll spend most your time out energy. Reckoning encourages repeated use against armored targets. Its rewards you with health orbs for landing kills with it, applies radiation and deals bonus damage to targets afflicted with radiation, and strips targets of armor. If not in a 4xCP squad or if you are solo, you are going to have a hard time trying to strip a meaningful amount of armor from a target consistently without atleast those 3/4 mods mentioned right now.

I don't believe I did.

It is A solution to that problem. Increasing his energy pool would be, too, as he regains energy with Rage or a Sahasa Kubrow quickly enough to offer him a lot more leeway in using his abilities. A larger energy pool means being able to sustain health recovery for a whole team under fire for longer. A larger energy pool means freer usage of 1, 2, and 4 in general because he'd have a longer period of time available to recover that pool before he runs out. Alternatively, improving the mechanics of his other abilities might result in not needing to cast as often, which would also help improve his energy consumption rate.

Increasing his energy pool would be a mere bandaid to the much larger issue, because without an energy regain mechanic you are just delaying the inevitability of you being energy deprived (unless you plan on being shot in face) Again, he is in a small niche of frames that doesn't have abilities that work well independently of eachother.

I believe you. But I don't think in-kit energy regain is the necessary answer. Plus, I'm one of the folks that gets attached to 'frames I spend a lot of time playing with, and would prefer not to feel obligated to abandon Oberon just because Oberon Prime will have +75 max energy pool at R30. It'd be nice if Oberon had 200 and Oberon Prime had 225.

Is this not a reason why they should make a way built into his kit to relieve the issue like other frames that require ability synergy to be effective?

Edited by Music4Therapy

1 hour ago, Souldude836 said:

Which is a benign fix to a change he needs. If it were a circle at base, range should just be able to increase the radius. Having a semicircle ability that you have to stand on to get full effect out of him doesn't make much sense to me.

It also increases in radius and covers a large patch of ground

7 minutes ago, 45neo said:

renewal drain mechanics feel like they discourage group play which is what a support is supposed to do (group play that is). Drain should not be affected by the number of targets and instead should just be one static drain per second.

this so much this the extra cost is a little over kill.  I have tried a few different builds and all worked well just can seem to get the energy costs down enough to be as effective as he could be 

14 minutes ago, Chipputer said:

Oberon isn't a min/max frame. He's an all-rounder that needs to be built as such. If you don't then you get a garbage Oberon build, which is what a good portion of the people saying his rework was bad are using.

Everything can be min-maxed, the difference is how far it can go.

I always do versatile build on every frames so if it's not minmaxing, there's nothing new for me. :sleep:

Edited by Volinus7

Idea: A possible answer to energy depletion 
When enemies standing on hallowed ground are hit by Reckoning, a percentage of the damage goes back to your energy bar. 
-Ditch the blind effect for partial energy regeneration for % of damage done

12 minutes ago, 45neo said:

I have been using Oberon and it has only been 1 energy per second when using it on the whole team. Maybe I am misreading it but that is what I saw

Idea: A possible answer to energy depletion 
When enemies standing on hallowed ground are hit by Reckoning, a percentage of the damage goes back to your energy bar. 
-Ditch the blind effect for partial energy regeneration for % of damage done

30 minutes ago, robbybe01234 said:

Well, yeah that's why I included the point about Equinox's healing in response to your claim of her doing a "thing" better than Oberon.  She doesn't.  She does it in a different way that yields different results.  This is the same with other frames that do a thing better than him but they arent a good comparison for "better" because of the other 3 different abilities in their kit among other things.  If there was another Oberon that had the same kit but bigger numbers and faster cast times then yes, everyone would pick the better one.  So you bring Oberon over someone else if you want to help out any combination of balanced or unbalanced frame teams. (i.e. tank/tank/tank/oberon - healer/tank/dps/oberon).

She actually does you get heals per kill (that also gives shields and effects also companions, hostagers and specters) that is mostly on equinox paying attention to how much healing she has accumulated But while we are on the topic of Equinox (a literal good example of being better than Oberon) let's talk about Pacify and Provoke, the damage reduction aura, you know the one button press that takes 10 energy to cast and .5 energy an enemy at max without any efficiency. Also something really funny: energy regen effects (energy siphon and zenurik) still work when enemies are in Pacify. Meanwhile we gotta stand in HG wait for Renewal and stand in HG again and get re-Renewal'd because the armor buff ran out and do over again when the armor runs out.

Oh for the other Oberon they don't have the same kit mind you (because that's insane) but there is man called Nidus. You know the real Jack of all Trades. Don't want Nidus? Then you can have Inaros you know the less support and more offensive version. Positive fact though Oberon is a better healer than Inaros

Just now, MarrikBroom said:

I tend to get angry if 'oh he's good if you just get these kinda hard and annoying to farm mods to be any count.' Compare that to Rhino. Oh fine the corrupted mods make him BETTER, but you don't NEED them. DItto with primed flow/continuity. You shouldn't NEED those. Right now Oberon does, and that's a problem.

Fair point

17 minutes ago, Iccotak said:

I have been using Oberon and it has only been 1 energy per second when using it on the whole team. Maybe I am misreading it but that is what I saw

did they have pets, specters or anything of that sort?