Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dmg output - what I am doing wrong?

Savonir

Question

Hi, so as the title may suggest - I'm a newbie, about a week and a half in the Warframe. Having a blast, great game.

However as I am getting closer to Jupiter, enemies are getting stronger for me not to handle them by my own now. And the reason is, my dmg output from primary weapon. I mean, I have a Volt(Rhino is cooking at the moment) and with Speed + melee(Orthos), it's great but with my Boltor it's "meh." So I guess I will ask you guys for some pointers at this moment, since I don't have a clue about proceeding further. Please, tell me if I am doing something wrong. Maybe I don't have specific mods for proper upgrade or my build is just wrong? Please help, I would be happy to get ANY suggestions.

Here's my config: 

17 answers to this question

so far remove the point strike , crit isnt a big factor 

id suggest to setup status based as best you can with mods you have

normally i run corrosive or viral with puncture based , another factor id suggest is to add shred but dont max it get it to a 10V cost it has synergy with puncture from my testing 

but main factor also is get multishot on it 

Hi Tenno! welcome to the game!

Just from what i see, youve got the right idea so far. I would replace the ammo drum and point strike with that wildfire. Then just focus on upgrading the elemental damage mods ya got there. that should help a bunch. Keep at it!

So the corpus (we're dealing with Jupiter, ya?) are weak against slash and impact for starters - puncture doesn't affect them much, and neither does fire.  impact + magnetic destroys the proxies, slash + toxin/viral for the rest.  heat doesn't really add any bonus damage to the corpus.  I would almost rather take the regular braton to corpus and have that proc the slash and impact instead of the boltor, which primarily procs the puncture (higher damage numbers get proc'd more.  the braton has relatively even damage numbers across all the damage types, while the boltor has way more puncture than anything else).

boltor also isn't a crit weapon (or status, for that matter), but rather a pure damage and pure elemental. so you can ditch any crit mods and the ammo drum, since that's the most useless mod in the game.  (for a crash course in elemental and damage types, check here, or if you're into videos, check here).

Edited by -NvO-Venom

I see you're missing the Toxin element from your collection. Try to get that if you can so you can run any elemental combo. With Jupiter coming up, you'll mainly be dealing with Corpus. If you're able to run Viral damage (Cold + Toxin), you'll have a much easier time with a lot of them.

With what you have right now, the unranked Point Strike and Speed Trigger won't really help much. Drop them both, max out that Wildfire and add it.

If you're looking for more kick against corpus enemies and you're short on points, I recommend blast with electric.

I don't know if you already have forma to spare, but if you do I recommend saving it for the boltor prime or the telos boltor for when you get those, and another thing that I recommend is to remove crit chance and raise the level of hellfire mod. and if you want more DPS you can even trade the ammo drum for more fire rate.

Remember, while there are 8 mod slots, sometimes its better to leave some empty in favor of higher level mods so you can maximizes your damage without needed to speed forma for more polarizations or sometimes even a catalyst to double the mod capacity.

Oh, and don't forget split chamber. While it does suck that it maxes out at 90% it still helps a lot on rapid fire weapons, after all, more bullets means more damage, crits, and status procs.

If you can also try to get the Shred mod either through trading, nightmare alerts, or just running nightmare missions for the random chance.

Edited by Chimera042
forgot to mention split chamber

6 minutes ago, Chimera042 said:

If you're looking for more kick against corpus enemies and you're short on points, I recommend blast with electric.

fun fact, blast has no damage % increase to corpus.  outside of the cc, it's literally useless if he's trying to get damage.

bbf33373e2.png

8 minutes ago, Fugana said:

Just buy Nidus 1 man army you dont need any weapons with him :) 

he's fighting against corpus on jupiter.  nidus is trash against nullifiers hahaha

Edited by -NvO-Venom

31 minutes ago, Savonir said:

I am getting closer to Jupiter

So, you're still on Ceres? And using Magnetic damage? Yeah, that's kinda not a great idea :P

Warframe_Damage_Full.png

Try Corrosive against Grineer (also Infested / Corrupted ... and some Corpus lol), Magnetic is for Corpus only.

Before i say anything, mod farming, can be bypassed if you join newbie friendly clan that could lend you a hand with few mods or even better give them since vets got a pile of these mods stacked in the mod inventory.  If you like farming and putting some effort in it, then here:

Non-Crit Based Weapon (Low Status Chance) - Similar to Boltor. 

Well ideally would be Serration - Split Chamber - Shred - 4 Elemental Mods 90% - Heavy Caliber. You will need Forma to polarize the slots (Polarizing - You change the symbol on the slot to match a mod that costs a lot to reduce its capacity by 50% read here for more info http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Polarity) before even trying to farm for these mods *Note polarizing, resets the weapon rank back to 0 and you have to level it up again*, in this case Split Chamber, Shred and Heavy Caliber, the 4 elemental mods that i mentioned are Cryo Rounds - Hell Fire - Stormbringer (You already own), 4th Elemental mod is Infected Clip

Now how to get Split Chamber, Shred, Heavy Caliber

More info on their drop locations are here:

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Shred -Pay attention to alerts that pop up on your navigator.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Split_Chamber -Easiest way to get this is to ask a Clan member, since its quite common later on.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Heavy_Caliber -Easiest way to get is again from a Clan member, but since you never know what kind of clan members you will have, below is the description on how to farm Corrupted Mods like Heavy Caliber.

Heavy Caliber drops from Orokin Vault.

What's Orokin Vault: Derelict, you need to craft keys to access it, the keys are located in the market under the name Orokin Derelict Capture - Exterminate - Survival - etc... , now once you craft the key, you can access the missions in Derelict, but in order to access the vault that is located in the Derelict you need Dragon keys, Dragon keys are in Clan Dojo, so its best if you join a Clan, a newbie friendly one they will help you out. You craft those keys and equip them in your gear bottom left at the arsenal. (More info here: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Key) Once you have the key equipped, you join the derelict (would be great if you had someone with you to assist you), inside the mission there is a door - vault, with a key pattern, since there are 4 Dragon Keys, you have to match the key with the door to open it (you can equip only 1 key so running derelict in 4man is best choice). Those Vaults contain random mods (Corrupted Mods) that you can't see till you complete the mission, one of those mods is Heavy Caliber

The mods that are from the Vault are here: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Corrupted_Mods

P.S. Went a little off-topic, but since you are new, decided to give a small hand. 

Never use magnetic, it's the worst element in the game and you don't really need it against shields, even cold alone does a way better job because of it's freeze(and still does +50% damage to shields). I'd suggest to remove all but serration and cryo rounds, try to get infected clip and combine that to viral for corpus / switch infected clip for stormbringer if you are against grineer. If you have or can get ~ 15 plat... trade for split chamber, means a lot more damage and free status% on top... if you still have enough points and endo, get serration to r9.

I recommend trying out different weapons. There's not only 1 super amazing weapons that can kill everything. Also, try to learn about enemy weaknesses such as "Impact" damage hurts shields more, like Corpus enemies. "Slash" Does increased damage to the infested. And "Puncture" damage helps to take out armored enemies quickly, like Grineer and Orokin enemies. One more thing, make use of your mods and see how far you can level them up. Modding correctly can help a lot. If you need help with what mods to put on a weapon, I recommend checking out "N00bShowtek" He does lots of mod building videos.