Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Blade Storm idea (I know, but hear me out)

Sunder

So what are the issues with Ash's bladestorm?

Initially it was that we could sit about, cast it, and watch a long animation and take easy street when farming/camping/grinding.  Was effective! Yeah but it was also kinda cheesy and at times OP. So long as you had energy you could just keep casting it and be A-OK. This rework? Same thing...just an added few steps. Now making it too interactive would ruin the quick pace of the game. Some frames can easily clear rooms in seconds. And currently, most people use this new Bladestorm in a way that they activate, swing their mouse around wildly, and just try to get as many enemies included as possible. Same thing as before....just spaced out more. Not a good fix in my opinion.

Now I know many are against a "cast and forget" ability since that encourages grinding and sitting about while pressing-4-to-win. But unless we start installing cameras that watch our hands to perform some sort of jutsu to cast abilities lets be realistic about our options here.

A throwback to original bladestorm

To best demonstrate my idea for this ability I've included the following videos.

Watch the left side of the screen as he dashes across multiple times

Spoiler

&

Right side of the screen, ghosts/clones/holograms do the work

Spoiler

Now what this would entail is...

• A cast-able AOE
  • AOE would be Cylinder shaped
  • Cylinder would be wide enough to, -by default, juuust cover a crypod in defense
  • Can only have one cast available at once.
  • Enemies caught in this AOE are stunlocked by the rapid strikes
  • Strikes would come from different directions from Ash clones/ghosts
  • Can still prioritize targets based on where you cast
  • Damage would be flat based on ability rank & power strength
  • Damage would scale with your combo counter (Melee mods too possibly?)
    • This would mean a lower default damage when just casting quickly to CC.
    • But would build damage quickly based on your combo multiplier like other melees
    • As a result, without interacting first and getting a combo? This ability wouldn't be suited for camping/pressing 4 to win
    • Could still build Ash for range and duration and use this ability as more of a CC than damage dealer if you wish to focus on Ash's other abilities
  • Proc's slash (Obviously)

Conclusion?

This would keep Ash a force to be reckoned with while removing folks who simply camp or used to camp with Bladestorm. This would give Ash a decent CC ability with strength that you have to build up to and earn. A cheap workaround to it being interactive but closest we're gonna get right now apart from on screen prompts. (Press X to strike, press C to strike, Press U to strike and if you mess up the combo ends)

Optionals

Initiating the ability

• Could be casted like a normal energy cast. Press 4 to activate.
  • Or could be activated via a smoke-bomb explosive that you have to actually aim (Has arc)
  • Ash would throw manually, think grenade launcher style but explodes on impact
  • Upon impact enemies caught in the AOE are pushed into the air similar to Rhino's Stomp.
  • Ash clones that dash across would be what would seem to be keeping the enemy airborne
  • Juggled targets be susceptible to gunfire for more damage
  • Would help prioritize enemies in a group for allies who see an eximus raised up

Alternatively, enemies initially caught in this ability regardless how effected could slowly be raised up into the air upon each clone dash-by.

What happens to the Bladestorm Animations?

• Replace all of Ash's stealth kills with a random bladestorm animation except when holding an actual melee weapon. Then it defaults to the weapons animation
  • Stats of stealth kill would remain the same regardless which animation is used.
  • This would add a fun little bonus to playing ash stealthily :)

THAT'S IT!

LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS AND COMMENTS

WILL UPDATE IF I THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE

Edited by Sunder

4 minutes ago, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

Honestly I like Ash the way he is now. His Bladestorm is good for marking the enemies who need to be killed first, it is just that now you can actually play the game instead of just press a button and watch a movie. And his invisibility got a much needed buff so he is much better than before.

True but the animation is just the same boring animation.

Just now, xXDeadsinxX said:

True but the animation is just the same boring animation.

That is why I personally feel like while I do like Ash more now and he is in a good state, I would much rather see bladestorm removed entirely.... We don't need two abilities on the same frame that teleports to something and kills it tbh

8 minutes ago, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

Honestly I like Ash the way he is now. His Bladestorm is good for marking the enemies who need to be killed first, it is just that now you can actually play the game instead of just press a button and watch a movie. And his invisibility got a much needed buff so he is much better than before.

A cast-able ability still lets you prioritize targets.

2 minutes ago, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

That is why I personally feel like while I do like Ash more now and he is in a good state, I would much rather see bladestorm removed entirely.... We don't need two abilities on the same frame that teleports to something and kills it tbh

Which is why I proposed a change. Something to CC and deal massive damage if you earn/build up to it. Not just a simple double of teleport.

4 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Ginger Bruhv said:

Jeez. Will these kinds of posts ever end?

Ash is fine. Oberon is fine. Leave em' be.

Not sure if serious or joke post...am just going to pretend I never saw this. Also topic is on Ash, lets leave the issue that is Oberon to another thread =p

It's clear that you actually put a lot of thought and time into this, and I appreciate that, but I personally don't think that it's the correct solution. Currently, Bladestorm's idea is right, but its execution is off. We don't need a new ability; we need a more balanced one.

3 minutes ago, Sunder said:

A cast-able ability still lets you prioritize targets.

Which is why I proposed a change. Something to CC and deal massive damage if you earn/build up to it. Not just a simple double of teleport.

Not sure if serious or joke post...am just going to pretend I never saw this. Also topic is on Ash, lets leave the issue that is Oberon to another thread =p

No it's pretty serious (and a joke, slightly). Get it through your mind the chances of there being another rework are lower than your chances of winning the lottery. Why fix something that's already been fixed? There's been thousands of posts just like this, and sorry, but you're just another one that they won't take into consideration.

It's a personal problem, not the games.

Edited by (XB1)Ginger Bruhv

5 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Ginger Bruhv said:

No it's pretty serious (and a joke, slightly). Get it through your mind the chances of there being another rework are lower than your chances of winning the lottery. Why fix something that's already been fixed?

Gonna go against ya here, I feel we need to be vocal and continue to discuss and bring up things that we feel need improvement. Why settle?

6 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

It's clear that you actually put a lot of thought and time into this, and I appreciate that, but I personally don't think that it's the correct solution. Currently, Bladestorm's idea is right, but its execution is off. We don't need a new ability; we need a more balanced one.

Again, I'm gonna have to disagree. Current bladestorm is still an easy press 4 to win ability with just some added mouse movement now as an excuse for it being, "interactive".

Balance definitely needs to be done at the very least, but I, -- and a quite a few other players on PC agree, Bladestorm is not in a good place.

Edited by Sunder

1 minute ago, Sunder said:

Gonna go against ya here, I feel we need to be vocal and continue to discuss and bring up things that we feel need improvement. Why settle?

Again, I'm gonna have to disagree. Current bladestorm is still an easy press 4 to win ability with just some added mouse movement now as an excuse for it being, "interactive".

Balance definitely needs to be done at the very least, but I, -- and a quite a few other players on PC agree, Bladestorm is not in a good place.

Yes, let's be vocal about something that doesn't need to happen, but since it's something you aren't happy with, let's complain and ask for another rework like thousands more who got ignored.

Logic.

Just now, (Xbox One)Ginger Bruhv said:

Yes, let's be vocal about something that doesn't need to happen, but since it's something you aren't happy with, let's complain and ask for another rework like thousands more who got ignored.

Logic.

"Doesn't need to happen"

I disagree.

"let's complain and ask for another rework like thousands more who got ignored. "

...how else are we suppose to go about this?....This IS the feedback forum right? Anyway I'm sensing some hostility here and gonna ask you to please stay on topic. Thread is about this proposed idea for Bladestorm, not to express your personal annoyance with rework/idea threads in a feedback forum.

15 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Ginger Bruhv said:

Why fix something that's already been fixed?

It didn't fix anything really, it made a cheesy ability into a slower and The Most Energy Hundry ability in the game.

16 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Ginger Bruhv said:

Yeah sure, because when an ability drains 3 times more energy than the warframe has capacity for it's a "personal problem, not the games"

26 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Ginger Bruhv said:

Jeez. Will these kinds of posts ever end?

They will never end until DE fix the mess they did with the frame.

26 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Ginger Bruhv said:

Ash is fine. Oberon is fine. Leave em' be.

That's like saying Big Rigs is a good Truck Racing game because it's playable.

26 minutes ago, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

That is why I personally feel like while I do like Ash more now and he is in a good state,

If you run him no max or near max efficiency, yeah, he is in a good state. (Actually he is, the problem is BS absurd cost that enforces max efficiency and eliminates modding choice)

26 minutes ago, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

I would much rather see bladestorm removed entirely.... We don't need two abilities on the same frame that teleports to something and kills it tbh

This is exactly one of the reasons we want another, true, rework.

41 minutes ago, Sunder said:

So what are the issues with Ash's bladestorm?

There are none. It only takes you more time to mark + kill enemies and that's it. You just consume more time but since you can turn invisible that's not a problem at all.

Before Ash's rework: "Boy, Ash is so op! He can kill anything in seconds, everybody else can't do sh*t about it! Please fix"

After Ash's rework: "Boy, Ash is useless now, he can't kill sh*t now. Thx DE for ruining a warframe"

I seriously don't understand you guys...

Just now, MrM1 said:

There are none. It only takes you more time to mark + kill enemies and that's it. You just consume more time but since you can turn invisible that's not a problem at all.

Before Ash's rework: "Boy, Ash is so op! He can kill anything in seconds, everybody else can't do sh*t about it! Please fix"

After Ash's rework: "Boy, Ash is useless now, he can't kill sh*t now. Thx DE for ruining a warframe"

I see that a lot too and I do agree with you that it just takes a few seconds longer to kill things, what's the big deal lol? But they only thing I don't like about bladestorm is the animation, that's the only problem.

46 minutes ago, MrM1 said:

Okay, I will MATH you out.

Before Ash's rework:

Mark 18 enemies for 100 energy, average cutscene duration (excluding getting stuck on a disruptor) was 5-6s

After Ash's rework:

Mark 18 enemies for 270 (810 if 3 marks are applied) energy, average cutscene duration: 18s because Ash attacks everyone.

Basically, Bladespammers abandoned the frame right off the bat. Who are now making threads are true fans of the frame who got scr*wed with a nerf instead of an actual rework.

You guys are better off just wishing for a new ninja frame and submit fan concepts. DE has no plans to turn Ash into something else. Either you like a frame that had a cut scene for an ult, or you choose another frame

Edited by Hypernaut1

15 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

You guys are better off just wishing for a new ninja frame and submitting fan concepts. DE has no plans to turn Ash into something else. Either you like a frame that had a cut scene for an ult, or you choose another frame

Like I actually did?

Spoiler

50 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

You guys are better off just wishing for a new ninja frame and submit fan concepts. DE has no plans to turn Ash into something else. Either you like a frame that had a cut scene for an ult, or you choose another frame

DE themselves are not happy with ash's current bladestorm, but really no other way to keep bladestorm's damage potential while Changing it to something else.

34 minutes ago, Nazrethim said:

Like I actually did?

Reveal hidden contents

Definitely not going to happen since ash exist.

8 minutes ago, (Xbox One)CFE Angry said:

DE themselves are not happy with ash's current bladestorm, but really no other way to keep bladestorm's damage potential while Changing it to something else.

Actually, there is a way...

8 minutes ago, (Xbox One)CFE Angry said:

Definitely not going to happen since ash exist.

Well, same could be said about Loki (a trickster) and Mirage (a prankster). Or Oberon and Titania.