Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Thoughts on a Revisited Hydroid

oogityboogity

1 hour ago, oogityboogity said:

His 4 is not fine where it is. That "CC" as you call it, is probably the worst form of CC in the game. How is it helpful to a team to sling enemies around randomly making it harder for them to kill them? Doesn't need to be an ultimate, and honestly the person who thought of that as an ultimate ability should've lost their job. Also, you would turn it off for the same reason you turn excal's blade off. The puddle, just needs movement. I think DE clearly stated they're trying to get rid of AFK abilities. I think that's obvious seeing how they have a report option for afk players. Puddle doesn't even do enough damage to kill enemies. What should be added is the ability to move with it. And him being invulnerable is no different than a valkyr. Except that hydroid is made of water, you should know this by the fact that he turns himself into a puddle. With that being said...how does one hurt water with bullets? Making that suggestion all the more relevant.

the tentacles are a good form of CC to do MD, like zep´s 4, in MD you need to buy time, so that type of CC is the one needed for that, and is even useful on interception, you don´t need to kill anything on those so is a good tool to have

1 hour ago, oogityboogity said:

His 4 is not fine where it is. That "CC" as you call it, is probably the worst form of CC in the game. How is it helpful to a team to sling enemies around randomly making it harder for them to kill them? Doesn't need to be an ultimate, and honestly the person who thought of that as an ultimate ability should've lost their job. Also, you would turn it off for the same reason you turn excal's blade off. The puddle, just needs movement. I think DE clearly stated they're trying to get rid of AFK abilities. I think that's obvious seeing how they have a report option for afk players. Puddle doesn't even do enough damage to kill enemies. What should be added is the ability to move with it. And him being invulnerable is no different than a valkyr. Except that hydroid is made of water, you should know this by the fact that he turns himself into a puddle. With that being said...how does one hurt water with bullets? Making that suggestion all the more relevant.

You are right, it is the worst CC in the game as it doesnt really help in killing the enemies, in fact in most cases it prevents us from killing them. But the idea of  the ult is good, the current execution is bad. If they do something like, Enemies are held in place or in the air(similar to equinox sleep and harrows chains) rather than thrashing them about and then when skill the skill ends (either by duration or when recasted) it slams them on the ground dealing damage. This would be a better disable and still have the damage for the low level. And it wouldn't be such a big change. But you are right, water can't be damage and I do still turn of excalibur's ult. Your suggested ult still needs a down side though, valkyr's ult has the risk of taking all the damage she absorbed if the ult is turnoff near enemies, excal and wukong aren't invulenrable in their excalted state. 

3 minutes ago, crimson-warborn said:

the tentacles are a good form of CC to do MD, like zep´s 4, in MD you need to buy time, so that type of CC is the one needed for that, and is even useful on interception, you don´t need to kill anything on those so is a good tool to have

oh right, zephyr ult.. But.. I want to kill peeps though. XD

On 19/05/2017 at 2:03 PM, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

Honestly, I feel that Undertow should be removed entirely.... It is a useless ability that people just use to go AFK. Instead we should be able send a tidal wave at the enemies and knock them down, and acts as a shield that bullets can't penetrate, and since tempest barrage would then need changed, they could make it so it procs corrosive automatically and just change the augment.

Undertow is probably my favourite ability in-game, purely because of how ridiculous it is.

You can turn into a puddle. Seriously how can you not find that amusing?

51 minutes ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

Undertow is probably my favourite ability in-game, purely because of how ridiculous it is.

You can turn into a puddle. Seriously how can you not find that amusing?

Amusing but the usefulness isn;t really there. 

Tool of being afk should just be a solid enough point..

He needs like and added stagger bonus on enemies. Like when you flood them or dunk em they get covered in seaweed and starfish that slows them down. 

I like hydroids powers they are just weak and need little tweaks. I do use Hydroid a lot. His number 4 is pretty good if max the strength and reduce the duration. But that makes tidal surge garbage and eats energy fast as a puddle. 

27 minutes ago, (PS4)PillarOfWar said:

He needs like and added stagger bonus on enemies. Like when you flood them or dunk em they get covered in seaweed and starfish that slows them down. 

I like hydroids powers they are just weak and need little tweaks. I do use Hydroid a lot. His number 4 is pretty good if max the strength and reduce the duration. But that makes tidal surge garbage and eats energy fast as a puddle. 

Pilfdroid FTW. It's fine if maxing out on one power reduces the viability of the other. This is a common thing in warframe. example : EV vs Bless. You can't be good on all the things because that's just OP. 

Personally I'd like to see more synergy between his abilities.  There's a lot that could be done I think. His first ability could stay the same.  His second ability could remain unchanged, but if used in conjunction with his first ability it could cause a tentacle to erupt.  Undertow can go.  Replace it with a straight up healing ability and call it water of life or something.  Then the ultimate can be a whirlpool that can do more damage if barrage is up, CCs enemies caught in it, and redirects fire going through it.   

• 3 weeks later...
On June 15, 2017 at 4:39 PM, InDueTime-EN- said:

Pilfdroid FTW. It's fine if maxing out on one power reduces the viability of the other. This is a common thing in warframe. example : EV vs Bless. You can't be good on all the things because that's just OP. 

I understand min maxing. The point is it's still dog $#!+ anyway 

Tempest Barrage and Tentacle Swarm still do pretty much the exact same thing, just one does it with a one handed cast, reliably hits enemies that enter the area during the duration, and only costs 25 energy. 

And na to exalted cutless, he is a CC frame not a damage dealer. 

Edited by DrBorris

Everyone wants exalted weapons on everything lol.

Personally, i feel like hydroid is in a good spot, once you actually know the ins and outs of his mechanics. He needs very small tweaks, but not an exalted weapon level rework. 

Swap the positions of his 2 and his 1, .  and crank tempest barrages duration back up to 10, maybe even 15 seconds,  Make tentacle swarm scale with range in the same way that tempest barrage does. Allow undertow to cancel tidal surge, and allow tidal surge to be cast directly from undertow. Or make them the same ability and give him a new 3.

Also give tempest barrage a "slip" mechanic instead of a generic blast proc animation, because as of right now, hydroid is the only cc frame whom ancients completely prevent the cc of.  Nyx completely turns off ancients, frost and vaubans cc still works. Hydroid relying on generic knockdowns holds him back in comparison. Needing radiation for him to function properly against infested and corrupted should be a hassle that only damage frames or hybrids should suffer. 

Edited by Buddhakingpen

On 5/19/2017 at 2:59 PM, oogityboogity said:

When thinking about Hydroid, he is essentially the water frame. Using that as inspiration, here are some ideas for a possible rework. 

Passive: Rather than tentacles erupting from the ground from slam attacks, while bullet jumping hydroid becomes a wave knocking enemies down that he passes through. with no energy cost of course. a simple, effective tweak

1) Tempest Barrage: Just needs a little tweaking so that it's a more reliable source of crowd control

2) Undertow: Really a good skill, with the knockdowns and ability to drown anyone standing in the puddle. My only suggestion for this skill; allow him to move. Similar to Wukong's cloud ability, but of course he's water so he won't be able to fly, but he can move. Making him more effective at spy missions. 

3) Tentacle Swarm: Good skill, just not worthy of an ultimate attack.

4) Liquify: Hydroid embodies his true nature and turns himself into a body of water, putting him into an invulnerable state. Similar to Valkyr's Hysteria. A channeling ability of course. With this ability you could give him an exhaulted weapon like a special dual cutlas, with its own combo attacks, or not, but this liquify form would make Hydroid a true end game warframe. 

These are my thoughts on what I believe to be a simple yet very effective rework. I think this would harness the true nature of the water frame. Allowing all of his ability augments currently in game to still be useful and effective, but also allowing hydroid to break free of being the niche farming frame. I love the idea behind hydroid and I believe that this could make him very effective. Even as an added idea for an augment for Liquify, Hydroid reflects x% of the damage dealt to him. 

Feedback and thoughts are welcome. Thanks!

For your 1 you don't say what is it you want to change. You just say you want it changed.
..Where's tidal surge? My most used Hydroid ability which I have a loadout built around? Also please absolutely no exalted weapons.. This rework would break all 3 of my builds & I main hydroid. I'd much rather have him nerfed once again than an instrusive rework like this that cuts down his survivability & mobility for a little more damage when he's not an ability damage focused warframe.

On 5/19/2017 at 8:03 AM, (Xbox One)ultimategamerjr said:

Honestly, I feel that Undertow should be removed entirely.... It is a useless ability that people just use to go AFK. Instead we should be able send a tidal wave at the enemies and knock them down, and acts as a shield that bullets can't penetrate, and since tempest barrage would then need changed, they could make it so it procs corrosive automatically and just change the augment.

Agree with Undertow..

I have a tempest barrage build.. High range and strength.. If it was centered on Hydroid instead of location specific targeting i could dps with it.. Being centered on Hydroid would go against the direction DE is going with making frames more user inter-actable..

On 6/15/2017 at 6:09 PM, (PS4)PillarOfWar said:

That would be cool.. i would rather see that on Tidal Surge.. And make Tidal surge not move with Hydroid..

Just seaweed.. no starfish.. Unless starfish leech or spawn health orbs =)

Edited by Grimmstyler

On 5/19/2017 at 1:23 PM, (PS4)samppaH said:

It would be also Nice if There was an augument for tidal wave to just send a tidal instead turning into one.

i agree with this.. and add seaweed to slow the enemy.. Possibly a sea creature (starfish or a shark) to spawn health orbs..

I use a max efficiency/range Tidal surge in rescue missions sometimes, and clear the whole path knocking enemies down

Edited by Grimmstyler

To be honest, I don't think we need another exalted melee frame. There's quite enough of them as is, and this hydroid rework doesn't really seem as impactful as it should be. It doesn't fix his biggest problem (tentacle barrage makes enemies almost impossible to hit.) and just adds new abilities, which is a bad thing.

Edited by sappinmahsentry