Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

belt fed machine guns

silvardragon

what do you guys think about belt fed machine guns? i think it would be nice even thought i know there's a few type of machine guns but actual belt fed machine guns? that'll give us our inner rambo with a large box capacity and large amount of extra ammo then maybe the weight should be a factor with them?

Where would a Warframe carry the belt, and how would you keep it from flailing around during our acrobatics?  I'd rather not risk setting my ammo off by accident.

Most of Warframe's current machineguns have either internal magazines or rigid ammo containers for this reason.  Usually comically-small rigid ammo containers, but they're there.

well the weight could be a factor so only running would be there and i think the belt would come from the back backhip  it could be nice to have and i know there's machine guns but i like the belt fed weapons could maybe put a little limit of what you could do with jumping but i guess some machine guns has the box under itself 

and yeah something like that

could be nice

it could add in some realism in the game to either have a box magasin on the hips or the weapon as with realistic weapons but some LMGS has a disk mag as most to all of us know

Edited by furturgamesliker
forgot to put some weapon realism details in

It could work:

• No "magazine" or reloading
    • You fire the thing straight from the (hopefully truly massive) ammo reserve
    • Ammo pickups add straight to the immediately fire-able ammo pool
    • Possible penalty for running completely dry - lengthy reload as you pick up ammo that must be completed before you can fire again
  • Limited parkour movement while actively wielding it
    • Aim-glide and wall latch disabled, OR
    • Completely disables movements beyond sprinting and basic jumping

It wouldn't necessarily be very great and will spell certain doom to the squishier frames, but if the DPS is high enough and ammo pool deep enough to make it an actual choice of sort, it could be usable and very cool on tank frames.

I cant' possibly see this happening.

It would only be "cosmetic" anyway, as we can just have a gun with 1000 rounds already by "space magic" and it would only cause EXTRA headaches in the animations and clipping, and also the fact that we put guns away to draw secondaries and melee weapons, and any extra realism in having visible belts goes away when they have to totally removed when switching weapons.

21 hours ago, CrudShuzKong said:

We already have weapons with 200+ magazine capacity, so having belt-fed machine guns would just be aesthetic...

Pretty much this.

However...belt-fed autocannons could be a thing. Just ramp up projectile size and add small AoE and we're all potentially packing 20mm Vulcans (or revolver cannons) for when overkill still isn't enough kill.

Of course, there's a downside. Ever changed out a belt on a GPMG? Well, it takes awhile. Also, barrel swaps. Those things get hot and keeping the old crew served weapon perking along at its cyclic rate requires a fresh cool barrel occasionally (not the least of which reason is preventing cook-offs).

People are really just asking for aesthetics, but these things did exist for specific reasons and their employment, well, lets just say it doesn't fit into personal armament requirements. Still, I suspect we might get such things when DE gets around to the infested exterior armor/weapons system.

1 hour ago, furturgamesliker said:

i don't like it when people think aesthetics are more important than fucntionality but i still prefer having belt fed machine gun and why only have a magasine fed weapon and not have a different as the belt fed

The purpose of belt fed machine guns in reality is to provide sustained cover fire without the need of frequent that magazine fed weapons have due to magazines only having a very limited capacity.

In Warframe, we have 200 round clips, so the physical limitation of magazines doesn't exist, and thus there is no need for a belt fed weapon.

23 hours ago, Vilmera said:

or perhaps like this - with backpack ammo supply system?

Hide contents

PKM-Light-Machine-Gun-backpack.jpg

your idea might bring some spectacularity onto gameplay. i like it

Oh god, I thought that idea was a joke used in videogames.  That is awesome.

1 hour ago, Insizer said:

Oh god, I thought that idea was a joke used in videogames.  That is awesome.

yeah, and its not even a prototype
its called "scorpio"

Spoiler

i?id=4e42cc156054243431407ddd2796b808-l&55c52183f6684987a1feaf416a669bd3.jpg

Edited by Vilmera

There is also the option of covered belts (where they go through a tube) which can also be used for energy weapons. Basically, think of a Corpus Tech carrying a supra that is twice as big, with a glowing energy backpack and conduit hooking the weapon and backpack together, and he never has to reload.

Or a Grineer heavy gunner that has replaced one of her arms with a multi-barrel chaingun that really should of been mounted on a vehicle hooked up to a extra large pack. Legs replaced with reinforced versions for heavy loads.

1 minute ago, TankHunter678 said:

There is also the option of covered belts (where they go through a tube) which can also be used for energy weapons. Basically, think of a Corpus Tech carrying a supra that is twice as big, with a glowing energy backpack and conduit hooking the weapon and backpack together, and he never has to reload.

Or a Grineer heavy gunner that has replaced one of her arms with a multi-barrel chaingun that really should of been mounted on a vehicle hooked up to a extra large pack. Legs replaced with reinforced versions for heavy loads.

that version could work and with the chaingun the weapon needs to be placed down on a tripod to properly fire so the massive recoil is soften

Just now, furturgamesliker said:

that version could work and with the chaingun the weapon needs to be placed down on a tripod to properly fire so the massive recoil is soften

Or you can basically consider the entire grineer is basically the tripod and delivery system for the massive gun. The Grineer version of a corpus proxy. Just with the clone being the control system instead of a AI.