Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is the stradavar worth investing in

(XBOX)KronosoftheLost

Question

15 answers to this question

Yes it's a good weapon. If you decide to try and keep it, I'd say try to get stats such as +Crit chance and +Damage or multishot. The semi auto mode has more crit than auto, making it a versatile weapon. 

Edited by Stoner74

Stradavar is only about it's semi-auto fire.

So if you're intention is to use it as an automatic then you might be disappointed.

Even a good Riven isn't going to save the automatic due to it's 5% base status but it can make the Semi auto quite competitive.

To the guys saying it's not a good weapon, bear in mind that this was one of the first weapons to come out that truly started to define the tiers of weapons in the game, with others to follow.  The damage drops off at level 80ish when fully modded, because it's suppose to fit within a certain tier.  Then DE started balancing other weapons to fit their respective tiers (remember the weapons balance pass recently?).  Up until now, we haven't been used to that, with mk-1 weapons being able to be modded and used against level 70+ enemies.  After the stradavar hit, the majority of the weapon releases fall off at level 80ish, with few exceptions.

Stradavar fits in tier 3 at best, but not much further than that.  Meaning, it's great in levels that start out at 20-30 (you can push 30-40 and get away with it for a while) and reach the difficulty peak at 80.  Past that, it's pretty much useless.  So it's a mid game weapon at best, and a fun one.  If you get a solid riven, you could theoretically take it past that threshold - and with chroma, you definitely could - but don't expect much more without the riven.

Edited by -NvO-Venom

2 hours ago, -NvO-Venom said:

To the guys saying it's not a good weapon, bear in mind that this was one of the first weapons to come out that truly started to define the tiers of weapons in the game, with others to follow.  The damage drops off at level 80ish when fully modded, because it's suppose to fit within a certain tier.  Then DE started balancing other weapons to fit their respective tiers (remember the weapons balance pass recently?).  Up until now, we haven't been used to that, with mk-1 weapons being able to be modded and used against level 70+ enemies.  After the stradavar hit, the majority of the weapon releases fall off at level 80ish, with few exceptions.

Stradavar comfortably fits in tier 3, but not much further than that.  Meaning, it's great in levels that start out at 20-30 and reach the difficulty peak at 80.  Past that, it's pretty much useless.  So it's a mid game weapon at best, and a fun one.  If you get a solid riven, you could theoretically take it past that threshold - and with chroma, you definitely could - but don't expect much more without the riven.

What on earth are you talking about.

They try to loosely base it on MR and typically fail to do so.

If they cared about structured weapon power they wouldn't base Riven Disposition on popularity.

3 hours ago, Xzorn said:

What on earth are you talking about.

They try to loosely base it on MR and typically fail to do so.

If they cared about structured weapon power they wouldn't base Riven Disposition on popularity.

And the mr system for weapons failed, which was briefly acknowledged by DE.  Funnily enough that acknowledgement was right before the stradavar came out.  And since the weapon came out, there's been the trend of weapon damage heavily falling off at certain enemy levels, which those enemy levels are the threshold in difficulty for each tier (to find that, you basically min/max, and the instant damage falloff is where the threshold is).  Those who have been around long enough know about the tier system - tier 4 is level 40+, tier 3 is 30-40, tier 2 is 20-30, and tier 1 is 10-20 if I remember correctly.  Below that is the beginner quest and initial learning curve.  Even the balance passes on the weapons acknowledge those levels.  There's a reason why some people say "this is a mid level weapon", or "this is perfect for high level gameplay" - most people don't know about the tier system now, because it's been hidden ever since the void was overhauled, so that's how we acknowledge what weapons are suitable for their respective gameplay and levels.  Side note, ever notice how certain enemies spawn only on certain planets starting at very specific levels?  That's tied to this system.

The mr system for weapons was supposed to be tied to player progression, and weapon stats accordingly, as it should be.  But that was completely broken (and still is a bit), so this was put in on top of that.  

Rivens have nothing to do with that tier system - they were specifically designed to push its limits.  In fact, rivens are really in a class all of their own, because they're only meant for higher level players (again, with the mr locks and experience levels required to unveil some of the rivens). 

Edited by -NvO-Venom

7 hours ago, -NvO-Venom said:

-snip-

You're running on 100% speculation.

They could never hope to make such a thing work in the game's flawed damage system.

Power Creep servers to further destabilize such a notion and will cause it to inevitably fail.

Far as that balance pass reflecting weapon Tiers... Harpak with a Riven can now achieve higher DPS than Soma Prime with a Riven and Paracyst can kill a lvl 145 Napalm faster than any other rifle in the game without a Riven. Meanwhile Tonkor / SImulor were and still are complete trash against high armor. It was just an excuse to nerf over used weapons because that's how DE balances. Paracyst didn't need a buff, it was already the fastest kill speed against high armor but no one used.

Maybe 6 of 37 Prime weapons are good past Sorties due to Power Creep while far more non-prime weapons are. Pandero quickly made itself one of the best Pistols in the game and Cycron quickly burned in a dumpster fire. There's no weapon balance, even if DE were actually trying; Scaling will not allow it.

Rivens can't be their own thing either because when you make a weapon inherently bad; you make the Riven bad which means no one wants it. Contrary to the purpose of Riven mods. Riven Disposition could be used to counter such a system but that's not how they're currently utilized. As my example of Pandero and Cycron they both have neutral disposition and one is clearly better than the other.

The best advise I could give you is to invest in it if you like it. It can be a good weapon in the semi auto mode with a good riven.

You have to know that there will be other weapons that are much better but if all players would only invest in the most powerful alternatives, there would be no reason to use more than 10 weapons in this game because they would already be enough to deal with the game content.

The Stradavar is my favourite Primary weapon. I like the design, the sounds, everything. The stats aren't amazing, but when it was released it was so well received by so much of the community that some notable Youtubers liked it so much as to not care about its less-than-great stats.

That said, it's an acceptable weapon. Easy to use, flexible and reliable. Accurate in both fire modes, with a doubling of its Crit and Status change values in semi-auto. Starchart is handled. For Sorties you probably need a Riven, but it doesn't even have to be a very good one. I've got a half-decent Riven mod that makes the Strad as powerful as I could ever need, and it's made me forget about the Soma Prime in all but Infested maps.

Edited by SenorClipClop

8 hours ago, Xzorn said:

You're running on 100% speculation.

They could never hope to make such a thing work in the game's flawed damage system.

Power Creep servers to further destabilize such a notion and will cause it to inevitably fail.

Far as that balance pass reflecting weapon Tiers... Harpak with a Riven can now achieve higher DPS than Soma Prime with a Riven and Paracyst can kill a lvl 145 Napalm faster than any other rifle in the game without a Riven. Meanwhile Tonkor / SImulor were and still are complete trash against high armor. It was just an excuse to nerf over used weapons because that's how DE balances. Paracyst didn't need a buff, it was already the fastest kill speed against high armor but no one used.

Maybe 6 of 37 Prime weapons are good past Sorties due to Power Creep while far more non-prime weapons are. Pandero quickly made itself one of the best Pistols in the game and Cycron quickly burned in a dumpster fire. There's no weapon balance, even if DE were actually trying; Scaling will not allow it.

Rivens can't be their own thing either because when you make a weapon inherently bad; you make the Riven bad which means no one wants it. Contrary to the purpose of Riven mods. Riven Disposition could be used to counter such a system but that's not how they're currently utilized. As my example of Pandero and Cycron they both have neutral disposition and one is clearly better than the other.

Except for that "speculation" is just paying attention to trends and details.  It's paying attention to what DE says and puts that logic to their updates.  It's doing nothing but min/maxing and testing to find out the real value of equipment and gear.

I used to think the damage system is flawed - and it has its kinks for sure - but anything that scales can be difficult to gauge unless you put solid thresholds of difficulty in.  The easiest way to do that in a game that's been constantly edited for four years?  Balance the weaponry into their proper categories, then add in a special piece of equipment for the veterans, so they can have more fun with the system.  A LOT of mmorpgs do this.  You get weaponry as you rank up, you see that those weapons are actually broken down into tiers, and the highest leveled players can participate in systems that were locked until then that give them extra bonuses.  I've been playing a lot of Tera recently, and while it's a vastly different game, the core leveling mechanics are the exact same with a different appearance.  We also know DE plays a lot of other mmorpgs with similar systems, so it's easy to say where they get some ideas from.

Power creep is, then, not really a thing.  "Power creep" is players saying that "x weapon is way too powerful compared to y weapon", when in reality, that's how it was intended to be.  I've never even really understood the concept of power creep anyway.  I saw a comment on reddit from a former pro gamer talking about exactly that - "who gives a fck about power creep?  PvE games are meant for the player to be powerful.  So why does it even matter?"  So even if it WAS a thing in warframe, why does that matter?  If everything is balanced as it is, and Rivens are brought in they way they have, then either they serve their purpose according to the argument I just presented, or they serve their purpose in the context of this being a PvE game.

There's a reason DE makes their stats the way they do.  They're the ones with QA, testing, and constant re-writing in order to fit the weapons where they are intended to be.  Instead of me complaining, I'm just going to sit here and say "ok, this is a tier 3 weapon at best unless I get a riven".  That's all it boils down to.  I love the stradavar, but it, as well as any other weapon in the game, has its place.  I'm ok with that.

Edited by -NvO-Venom
spelling :s