The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

3D Printable Warframes

Hello! I'm a university student as well as a Warframe player. One thing that has caught my interest at school is our 3D printers. Of course, me being a Warframe fan I thought "What if I could print my favorite frame to have as an action figure or statue?". My favorite frame is Nidus, but since I don't have experience ripping game models, nor could I find a downloadable model of him, I went with Ember, one that I did happen to find. I had to modify the object a lot and the prints were still failing, but at least I got a proof of concept.

Fast forward to the artist panel being released today, and them stressing how important Fashion Frame is; I remembered my idea of printing frames. I'm trying to gauge interest with this post before contacting DE to see if there would be a possibility of us getting Fashion Frame figures shipped to players and fans. What do you all think of this? Here's some pictures of my 3D print for those interested: 

Spoiler

8dQOfrdg.jpg

The full imgur gallery for especially interested: http://imgur.com/a/flMdM

Looks pretty good. A little rough at some points but pretty good. I would recommend deterring from printing video game characters as it can have some legal backlash(My school had us stay away from it because of this) but I think good job. 

31 minutes ago, DarthBane1 said:

Looks pretty good. A little rough at some points but pretty good. I would recommend deterring from printing video game characters as it can have some legal backlash(My school had us stay away from it because of this) but I think good job. 

I had thought about this as well. One from the standpoint of obvious IP/Copyright issues, and two from the issues with the models. They're optimized for gameplay, aesthetics, etc. Hence why I had a lot of trouble with the floating parts, the feet, and the dreaded T position (I want a badass pose, you know?). I think that DE is more fan oriented, so I don't really anticipate many issues from them as far as IP issues go. If there are issues, of course, I'll stop what I'm doing. It also was more for a fun project and not actually a school/academic related project. More along the lines of the tools are there as well as other fans that are willing to help.

that's so NOT cool. everyone LOVES lady ember prime :) now just paint it pitch black and gold...

Hahaha! I would much rather paint a closer to finished model rather than these half broken parts. But believe me, I DEFINITELY plan on painting the figures that I print. That's actually a huge part of the idea that I have if they choose to explore printing custom Fashion Frames. 

Edited by I_Hunt_Demons
Avoiding double posting and replying to two quotes in one post.

Yeah, I had an idea kinda like this but not at the same time. I just want figures that you can pose, hold specific weapons and have accessories on said frames.

Like for example an Excalibur Prime figure. Comes with a Lato and a Skana Prime for him to hold (and maybe a few accessories and stuff). Another example would be an Excalibur collection. Braton, Lato, Skana and a proto Excalibur, normal Excalibur, and Immortal Excalibur in one thing with accessories for each.

18 hours ago, arch111 said:

World of Warcraft had a company who made your character and weapons for you if I remember correctly. 

You mean like that?

Yes, very similar, but more affordable. That company is very expensive. If we have to go that route, then fine - but I want the scope to be affordability in order to reach the maximum amount of players/fans.

19 hours ago, (Xbox One)AntiCaesar said:

Yeah, I had an idea kinda like this but not at the same time. I just want figures that you can pose, hold specific weapons and have accessories on said frames.

Like for example an Excalibur Prime figure. Comes with a Lato and a Skana Prime for him to hold (and maybe a few accessories and stuff). Another example would be an Excalibur collection. Braton, Lato, Skana and a proto Excalibur, normal Excalibur, and Immortal Excalibur in one thing with accessories for each.

I have basically the same idea, per say. I would LOVE to see posable Gunpla like figures! Articulation and LOTS of modular accessories!  ^^

20 hours ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

*looks at left one* why the phuck is she melting lol

That was a failed attempt to use a "more efficient" slicer. Makerbot didn't play well with it and the print failed mid print. The "melting" effect is loose filament that never got added onto to make it solid.

My friend showed me an even better and possibly more cost efficient way to 3D print what we're thinking. Using paper, as strange as it sounds. After a quick Google Images search, I found extremely lifelike color with the prints. The printer apparently functions similarly to an inkjet paper printer and will cut the layers and gloss over them to seal the colors. I'm really new to this method and thus I need to research it more, but it's very interesting!

21 hours ago, arch111 said:

Some have done some.

LOKI%2Bprint.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX0fLsqbnEDtrYu5Hzd-ilJ4CqRA-abYLxeln0vOkQyUeHPocYBg

I think that I've seen those before. Nice! I especially like the void key!

On 7/13/2017 at 1:51 PM, clxrffdman said:

I'm also a 3D printing guy, and also am a big fan of warframe. Here's my life size model galatine I made.

http://imgur.com/a/yX81v

Sorry for the late reply, That is highly impressive! Do you plan to bring this to Tennocon sometime?

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:50 PM, I_Hunt_Demons said:

I had thought about this as well. One from the standpoint of obvious IP/Copyright issues, and two from the issues with the models. They're optimized for gameplay, aesthetics, etc. Hence why I had a lot of trouble with the floating parts, the feet, and the dreaded T position (I want a badass pose, you know?). I think that DE is more fan oriented, so I don't really anticipate many issues from them as far as IP issues go. If there are issues, of course, I'll stop what I'm doing. It also was more for a fun project and not actually a school/academic related project. More along the lines of the tools are there as well as other fans that are willing to help.

You should be cool as long as you don't use them for personal gain.  Such as using them in advertising and/or selling/giving them away.  I wouldn't recommend making more than one copy unless you plan to send that copy to DE as a gift.  

Looking forward to seeing what your finished model will look like. :D

So, is there a step by step "3D printing for Dummies" available?  

I'd love to get into this but whenever I try talking to someone about it, they seem to assume that I'll understand the terminology they throw at me and I'm just....uh...yeah.

50 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

I'd love to get into this but whenever I try talking to someone about it, they seem to assume that I'll understand the terminology they throw at me and I'm just....uh...yeah.

There are quite a few of these depending on the source. I know ZBRUSH have good guides, I have seen them from Digital Tutors and in the 3D mag 3D Artist.

I am fairly sure that many hosting sites help out too.

What is your personal questions?  I have a 3D to print tutorial somewhere on my HD.

50 minutes ago, Maqabir said:

Thought about doing this but I think sculpting them out of epoxy putty might be easier for me since extracting and posing the 3D models seems like a chore.

I think that the right way for DE would be to set up a Captura -> 3D Export for Print pipeline.

We customise everything, the engine takes a 3D snapshot of it and then saves that coordinate-space to a kind of converter that 3D printers can use.

They can even charge us for it, or see it as fanservice/marketing and act as middleman between us and the 3D Printing company.

1 hour ago, DatDarkOne said:

You should be cool as long as you don't use them for personal gain.  Such as using them in advertising and/or selling/giving them away.  I wouldn't recommend making more than one copy unless you plan to send that copy to DE as a gift.  

Looking forward to seeing what your finished model will look like. :D

I do have plans on sending at least SOMETHING to DE whether it's a 3D print or a sculpture (I was thinking about making a prop Dex Dakra because of Lotus blades). Thanks, I hope to finish it! Actual school classes and work has been interfering with the project, but priorities, ya know?

54 minutes ago, MagPrime said:

Yes, there are lots of resources available. I like Barnacle Nerdgasm. He has a few videos breaking down what a slicer is, what the plastic types are, etc. If you still need some other resources, I can look around for more.

50 minutes ago, Maqabir said:

Thought about doing this but I think sculpting them out of epoxy putty might be easier for me since extracting and posing the 3D models seems like a chore.

Extracting/ripping is a bit of a chore. actually rendering them in something like Blender is a few steps above ripping. Rigging/posing the model...? WHEW, now THAT is a chore. I have experimented and I'm by no means a 3D artist, so I failed horribly (hence why I want DE's help, they would have everything already, they just do it).

Just now, arch111 said:

I think that the right way for DE would be to set up a Captura -> 3D Export for Print pipeline.

We customise everything, the engine takes a 3D snapshot of it and then saves that coordinate-space to a kind of converter that 3D printers can use.

They can even charge us for it, or see it as fanservice/marketing and act as middleman between us and the 3D Printing company.

Now that is an idea! I LOVE it! I'm not sure how feasible that would be, but I really like that!

1 minute ago, I_Hunt_Demons said:

Now that is an idea! I LOVE it! I'm not sure how feasible that would be, but I really like that!

I think so to. With all the plugins and standards these days I think this would be doable.

The only hindrance as I see it are their own models they sell from a competetive standpoint.

3 hours ago, arch111 said:

I think so to. With all the plugins and standards these days I think this would be doable.

The only hindrance as I see it are their own models they sell from a competetive standpoint.

That's true, but I feel like if these 3D printed ones are marketed differently, they wouldn't compete. For example, if the printed figures are action figures, they would have articulation instead of being a statue figure. I could also see the appeal of the 3D figures being purely for fashion frame (The figures are stock frames with no customization).