Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE's chat censorship and punishment. Does it need attention?

More-L

Rant: Yes, obviously. I'm sure a lot of you have read or seen a post somewhere about getting suspended/banned for region chat for something as simple as an alternate word for 'homosexual' and I'm sure most of you have also seen the argument that "That word is often used in a negative way" or something along those lines. As someone who was completely un-aware of this issue until yesterday night, all I can say is... really? A (assuming) 24 hour suspension for using the word to answer a genuine question asked by another player simply because the word is often used as an insult or derogatory term even though it's official meaning is actually "happy" and most common definition is "homosexual"? This is beyond stupid, why doesn't a player get a warning or even a kick the begin with instead of an instant 24 hour (or worse) suspension? (Sarcasm from here on) Actually never-mind. The punishment fits the crime. I demand the words "fat," "stupid," "lazy," "idiot," "imbecile", actually any word that can be used as an insult should be punished with death, or at the very least be given the same treatment because their official definition is to degrade another individual and typing them should be a punishable offence. Off with their heads I say! (end sarcasm) Obviously there is an unknown force pulling the strings behind the scenes.

Anyone know of AGGP? Know what that is an abbreviation of (A homosexual guy plays)? Know he is an official Warframe content creator and partner? I rest my case.

Discussion: Alright, if you skipped the rant, basically I think the punishment for saying an alternate word for 'homosexual' in region chat is way too extreme (24 hour or more suspension in my case) especially without either a warning or kick initially. We all know the chat bot has the ability to delete messages, pm players and kick them so why is only 1 of these used in the case of a player using a bad word (that being deleting the message) along with the suspension. A simple deleted message and pm saying "Please refrain from using derogatory terms in region chat. First and only warning". There are many words that are only used as insults and these do not give players the same punishment. I personally don't understand or agree with the methods used. If you agree with DE, could you give an explanation that isn't along the lines of 'Those words are very offensive' because that is a bad explanation and it does not explain why many other offensive words are not given the same punishment.

To clarify, my issue is not specifically the word used (but that is/was also an issue), but the punishment for using it once being so severe.

EDIT: So far, not one person is yet to counter all my points with a valid argument. Please, if you disagree with me explain WHY and explain each point legitimately. The points are as follows:

• Severity of punishment for using whatever word once
  • Reason why g-word is treated differently to words that are ONLY insults (sort of covered but not explained, do not use "sexual orientation" argument as 'homosexual,' 'straight' and 'bi' are not banned so that will explain nothing)
  • Reason why many insulting/degrading words do not even warrant a kick (fat, stupid etc.)
Edited by More-L
Clarity - More info

Just now, Husla said:

Problem here is, you think region chat is important. It's not. Get over it.

What a well thought out response and validation. I salute you good sir! /s I like to help new players in region chat, where they ask for help, f**k me right?

2 minutes ago, Ker-Blammo said:

If you know a word is banned, don't use it. If DE doesn't want people using that word, in a derogatory way or not, don't use it. 

Direct copy-paste from my rant paragraph "As someone who was completely un-aware of this issue until yesterday night, all I can say is... really?" Please read next time. (Although maybe my fault for only putting it in rant section)

Just now, More-L said:

Direct copy-paste from my rant paragraph "As someone who was completely un-aware of this issue until yesterday night, all I can say is... really?" Please read next time. (Although maybe my fault for only putting it in rant section)

Well you know now, why is there a question? Why do you need to use that word?

Just now, Tachibana_Hibiki said:

You can't help people, you must be salty instead. So yeah, right.

Not quite sure I understand your whole comment. But I have helped many players that were talking in region chat before.

Just now, Ker-Blammo said:

Someone asked "Is the G word still banned" or something along those lines, I thought "It can only be one word right? I mean there is an official partner named AGGP so I doubt it" and typed "Gay?" trying to answer his question. Absolutely no idea it would even get deleted honestly.

6 minutes ago, Ker-Blammo said:

Because there are tons of words/phrases that are, take out of context, does not have a negative meaning. If I spend a lot of time in chat I will occasinally use some words/phrases that have some history behind it that I had no idea about. Just as an example, "Pressing F to pay respects" gets you banned and I just a few weeks ago learned why. I had no idea and would get banned for it without me knowing why.
We attribute meaning to words and some have different uses/context to them. So it's a valid question.

Btw I think I like the idea, I have been thinking about something similiar but wonders how trolls may still use it in their advantage. But short story is that censorship is hard. If I say "You are completley stupid and your family should be eradicated" it's a lot worse then typing "Gay?" as an honest question. But maybe that is why report function exists. I don't know, I rarely do :3

Edited by (PS4)ExetSM

Honestly I see no issue with how it is. If you can't be mature enough to not use the banned words you likely should not be playing as they tend to get used in a offensive manner 99% of the time...

And personally I can't stand Rob.. he just has one of those annoying rub it in your face attitudes.

Edited by SilvaDreams
Holy Veyhek I hate auto correct at times...

well so this whole topic is about de's worst, which is chat moderation/profanity censorship. in a game that has massive amounts of gore and mutilation censoring "bad words" is simply hypocritical, especially when you can get autobanned for it for days. its pretty ridicilous if you ask me. 

Just now, SilvaDreams said:

Honestly I see no issue with how it is. If you can't be mature enough to use the banned words you likely should not be playing as they tend to get used in a offensive manner 99% of the time...

And personally I can't stand Rob.. he's just has one of those annoying rub it in your face attitudes.

Don't get me wrong, I have removed all AGGP video's from showing up on Youtube but that isn't the discussion. What if a homosexual person comes to play, talks in region chat and the topic somehow comes up and they say "well I am gay" are you saying they are not mature? Sure, I understand this word can very easily be used to insult, but it can also be used in genuine context.

1 minute ago, Zeclem said:

well so this whole topic is about de's worst, which is chat moderation/profanity censorship. in a game that has massive amounts of gore and mutilation censoring "bad words" is simply hypocritical, especially when you can get autobanned for it for days. its pretty ridicilous if you ask me. 

That is how north American culture is, I guess?

Gore and violence are embraced while nudity  and swearing are banned. 

Do correct me, if I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get as eastern european.

3 minutes ago, Tachibana_Hibiki said:

That is how north American culture is, I guess?

Gore and violence are embraced while nudity  and swearing are banned. 

Do correct me, if I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get as eastern european.

well i find it quite dumb. if theyre old enough to play a violent game they also should be old enough to see "bad" words that arent even always bad.

7 minutes ago, More-L said:

Don't get me wrong, I have removed all AGGP video's from showing up on Youtube but that isn't the discussion. What if a homosexual person comes to play, talks in region chat and the topic somehow comes up and they say "well I am gay" are you saying they are not mature? Sure, I understand this word can very easily be used to insult, but it can also be used in genuine context.

Who cares is my answer, also there isn't a reason to discuss one's sexual preference in regional chat.

Like any mod will tell you, take it to a private chat if you want to keep talking about it.

Edited by SilvaDreams
Holy Veyhek I hate auto correct at times...

22 minutes ago, (PS4)ExetSM said:

"Pressing F to pay respects" gets you banned and I just a few weeks ago learned why.

Why does it get you banned?

It's taken from a Call of Duty game isn't it?

Edit: Oh, right, spam probably.

Edited by Z-Gradt
Because

6 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

Who cares is my answer, also there isn't a reason to discuss one's sexual preference in regional chat.

Like any mod will tell you, take it to a private chat if you want to keep talking about it.

So why isn't "straight" censored? "Discussing ones sexual preference in region chat" is such a stupid argument against this point, it is simply used to deflect any argument against why it is punished for saying a word. Regardless, this still does not explain why other words are not given similar punishments OR why you are not simply warned before a 24 hour suspension. 

Just now, Z-Gradt said:

Why does it get you banned?

It's taken from a Call of Duty game isn't it?

I believe it gets you muted because the chat bot thinks you are trying to trade in the wrong channel via the use of word 'pay'

2 minutes ago, More-L said:

So why isn't "straight" censored? "Discussing ones sexual preference in region chat" is such a stupid argument against this point, it is simply used to deflect any argument against why it is punished for saying a word. Regardless, this still does not explain why other words are not given similar punishments OR why you are not simply warned before a 24 hour suspension. 

Because straight is used as a direction, homosexual and gay aren't.

And yes it is an excuse because region chat is for game chat. It's the same reason politics and religion are banned from being talked about too in 99% of games. It's to keep the general peace.

32 minutes ago, Zanchak said:

I mean, if we want to nitpick.. it IS kinda strange some words are banned but WF partners can talk openly about $&*^s.

Just sayin.

The thing is:

This person earns them money by bringing in new players.

DE is willing to look past his calls for violence against people he dislikes because money