Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

DE's chat censorship and punishment. Does it need attention?

More-L

1 hour ago, SilvaDreams said:

You haven't tried giving directions to someone in a dojo then....Ours is massive and even with telepads people get lost.

But it was a generic example.

it's just that using straight to point someone in a direction and using gay to say someone is happy are both equally rare, yet gay is banned and straight isn't

I don't have a problem with it myself but people were saying gay is banned because it only means a sexuality where as with straight it does not but that's just not true

15 minutes ago, cghawk said:

it's just that using straight to point someone in a direction and using gay to say someone is happy are both equally rare, yet gay is banned and straight isn't

I don't have a problem with it myself but people were saying gay is banned because it only means a sexuality where as with straight it does not but that's just not true

But gay is no longer used in that context anymore and generally used in a negative manner.(Online)

And as stated a number of times there is no reason to use it in the first place. Code of conduct for chat is no sexual, religious or political chat.(Other than private chat like dojo, alliance or PM)

Edited by SilvaDreams

2 hours ago, SilvaDreams said:

But gay is no longer used in that context anymore and generally used in a negative manner.(Online)

And as stated a number of times there is no reason to use it in the first place. Code of conduct for chat is no sexual, religious or political chat.(Other than private chat like dojo, alliance or PM)

Well, to be honest, it doesn't have to be sexual, religious, racial, political, etc. I have seen people being banned for the most silliest of reasons.

4 hours ago, SilvaDreams said:

to most people no but some do use it that way, mostly old folks really

and as stated it is not explicitly used sexually just like the word straight

2 minutes ago, cghawk said:

My grandparents whom where in their 90s when they passed a couple years back never used the term gay for happy (other than in a few Southern Baptist songs).

2 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

My grandparents whom where in their 90s when they passed a couple years back never used the term gay for happy (other than in a few Southern Baptist songs).

And I know people who use the word gay when they mean happy. And those people are under the age of 30.

Just because you never see it does not mean it does not happen

30 minutes ago, cghawk said:

Gay is a word that is used in a sexual context at least 90% of the time. Straight is not. You don't seem to recognise that people using the word straight to direct someone is actually much more common than someone using the word gay to describe a happy person. It happens yes, just not very often and within circles of friends. I only saw one instance of someone doing that back in 2014 and it was equally as strange back then as it is today. He had to actually clarify what he meant.

20 minutes ago, Helch0rn said:

And I know people who use the word gay when they mean happy. And those people are under the age of 30.

Just because you never see it does not mean it does not happen

Preaching what I said earlier. The thing is however this guy seems to think that someone using the word straight while offering directions is equally as rare as someone using the word gay in place of happy. Those people you know probably don't go around random happy people saying "You're quite gay aren't you?" or "I've never seen someone so gay." or "Wow, this guy is pretty gay."

That just does not happen at all. 

Edited by TheGodofWiFi

The punishment is hard but, only because there is no list of banned words provided in the first place.

If you know it's a trigger word, and use it anyway, then the punishment is fitting, imo.

As to the reason for certain being on that list over their counterparts, it is simply DE playing nanny.  

I'm hoping this will be resolved when personal chat filters come out.  There won't be a need for bots then.

2 hours ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

Gay is a word that is used in a sexual context at least 90% of the time. Straight is not. You don't seem to recognise that people using the word straight to direct someone is actually much more common than someone using the word gay to describe a happy person. It happens yes, just not very often and within circles of friends. I only saw one instance of someone doing that back in 2014 and it was equally as strange back then as it is today. He had to actually clarify what he meant.

Preaching what I said earlier. The thing is however this guy seems to think that someone using the word straight while offering directions is equally as rare as someone using the word gay in place of happy. Those people you know probably don't go around random happy people saying "You're quite gay aren't you?" or "I've never seen someone so gay." or "Wow, this guy is pretty gay."

That just does not happen at all. 

and you don't realize that this is about using the words gay and straight in WARFRAME, a game where you don't need to give directions at all so it is actually not much more common because directions aren't given in warframe, you don't see someone in chat say ''go to the left and then straight ahead to get to mars'' you don't see ''take the left coridor, then to the right and then straight ahead is the capture target'' and that is because we have objective markers making direction usage completely useless. it just does not happen at all.

17 minutes ago, cghawk said:

and you don't realize that this is about using the words gay and straight in WARFRAME, a game where you don't need to give directions at all so it is actually not much more common because directions aren't given in warframe, you don't see someone in chat say ''go to the left and then straight ahead to get to mars'' you don't see ''take the left coridor, then to the right and then straight ahead is the capture target'' and that is because we have objective markers making direction usage completely useless. it just does not happen at all.

Err, I've given directions like that in Region for people trying to find things in their Lisets, Quest missions and Relays.

1 hour ago, cghawk said:

I need to give directions to new players in my clan about the dojo. I need to give directions when guiding them through treasure rooms in the Orokin Derelict. I need to give them directions to secret places on tilesets that only veterans know about. I need to give them directions during raids. I give them directions in the relays. Not everything is explained by objective markers you know.

Like I said, you don't recognise at all that directions are needed more often than not in Warframe when telling newer players where to go. I happens quite a lot.

Using the word gay in place of happy however, does not happen very often in both real life and Warframe outside of your circle of friends. 

Edited by TheGodofWiFi

If Region chat wasn't of any relevance it would not be implemented in the game.  I play for very long periods, travel around between relays, run missions, trade, go to region chat in different times of the day and night.  And I can tell you from experience that people go crazy way more often in region chat than any other spot in the game. Now what nobody is saying is that the issue is a "people's behavior" issue, not a game issue and DE is not responsible for home or personal education.   Also, as a player who is around very often I know for a fact that a certain hours of the day they have moderators on these chats, you know, the "purple beings" in there.  They actually do a good job whenever they're around.  and I mean they literally scroll up the chat, identify whoever is acting up and kick/ban/suspend or whatever they're entitled to do in their line of work.  So if manual monitoring works And DE is growing after every major update, i do not see the issue with getting more moderators on there and revisit their bots so that they assist moderators in a more rational way.  So unless DE comes up with this futuristic AI Bot that can determine the context of a word based on your typing, the bots definitely need a "rework".  I say this because a word can be offensive, but a sentence can be more offensive without any misplaced word so why rely on a bot most of the time to kick a player for one word while someone else just puts 2 spaces between every character or diplomatically insults you.  it's doing fine with all the drop locations and bars so far, and also with certain words which even in real life are very disrespectful.  but honestly, whenever there are no moderators someone would say "gay" or "wtb" in region chat and get kicked while dozens of people are saying "f%$# Trump" while bot is saying someone might be able to help you.  Region chat is there for a reason and the bot clearly states it.  I'll leave it just here and leave the part where someone who just downloaded the game and needs help gets a cancer region chat as first impression of the game.  

The words "blacklisted" by kickbot are usually done so by DE because 99% of the time they are used, it is to insult and bash other players or members of DE.

If you disagree with a certain word being on the kicklist then you should have a discussion with a member of DE in a PM stating your reasons why it should be removed from the kicklist.

Closing as it looks like the discussion has run its course.