Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The full story/game Dark Sector and its sequel should be introduced as Quests in Warframe... And here's why!

(XBOX)Ancient Weapon

If Digital Extremes is even remotely considering re-releasing Dark Sector, or doing anything at all with it in the form of a sequel, you guys should do something new!

Unlike other devs out there who've opted to re-release HD or Definitive Ed versions of their prior games, DE should use their existing game, Warframe, to 'host and present' in the form of Quests, the full storyline of Hayden Tenno and his eventual destiny (revealing what became of him and revealing his deeper ties to our current Tenno).

Maybe even reintroducing him into the game or even showing how he's actually already in the game! Again, I'm suggesting this rather that a disjointed/separate game, or even burying it into Warframe as a separately accessible game like other games out there did... :::looking at you Flashback remake:::

With this, DE could build much deeper ties and create lead-ins for a set lengthy Story Quests much more vast and cinematic in their nature, even more so than recent Quests like War Within and others! I'm talking long involving Quests that play out like an entire game i.e. Dark Sector! Epic Quests < (might even want to call them that!!!) that others can play with you and feel as though their individual Tenno's story is affected by it in personal ways and well as in ways shared be all who play with you!

Edited by (XB1)Ancient Weapon

7 minutes ago, Phatose said:

What reason do you have to believe they intend to tie it in at all?

My reasoning or belief of their intent is irrelevant... it's merely a suggestion...if the thought has crossed their minds! Warframe has become a strong game and opportunities/moves/options such as these eventually become the obvious choice when it comes to capitalizing on the momentum of a thing...

Wat

Warframe, at best, is a spiritual successor. Might even say Warframe is everything DE wanted to originally make with Dark Sector, and more. There are no plot lines shared, there is nothing beyond cosmetics shared, there is nothing beyond the superficial to tie these games together.

You vastly underestimate the work required to essentially recreate Dark Sector in Warframe.

10 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Wat

Warframe, at best, is a spiritual successor. Might even say Warframe is everything DE wanted to originally make with Dark Sector, and more. There are no plot lines shared, there is nothing beyond cosmetics shared, there is nothing beyond the superficial to tie these games together.

You vastly underestimate the work required to essentially recreate Dark Sector in Warframe.

I've underestimated nothing, I know where they currently stand, but where they currently stand is not the point... this is about opportunity not holdbacks and obstacles. The very mentioning of Lengthy full story Epic Quests should've been the first key-in that something like this meant great work involved!

So the important thing to remember is that Dark Sector is not canon to Warframe. The events of Dark Sector's story and the events of Warframe's story do not occur in the same universe. Because of this, we can assume that things like skins that pay homage to Dark Sector (Proto-skin for Excalibur and the Glaives, Nyx's Nemesis skin, etc) are simply nods to the game, not ties to the game's lore. 

The devs have said that DS is about 40% canon, but I think that was The Second Dream, so that is probably even less now.

TL:DR Warframe will almost definitely never have a questline dedicated to the events of Dark Sector because they do not occur in the same universe.

1 minute ago, Aurea_Hiigara said:

My BS meter just exploded. Are you taking management classes, by any chance?

Thinking like this is unfortunately why things fail to get done in this world... The very mentioning of Lengthy full story Epic Quests should've been the first key-in that something like this meant great work involved! Again, this is conversation for opportunity... On top of that, this is a thought for them... are you or your exploding BS meter speaking for them now? 

This would be an interesting idea if it actually had a reason to exist. But it doesn't: Warframe and Dark Sector are canonically disconnected from each other. That's been the official word from DE for about as long as I can remember. All the subtle (or not-so-subtle) nods to Dark Sector are exactly that; nothing more.

3 minutes ago, Imaru said:

So the important thing to remember is that Dark Sector is not canon to Warframe. The events of Dark Sector's story and the events of Warframe's story do not occur in the same universe. Because of this, we can assume that things like skins that pay homage to Dark Sector (Proto-skin for Excalibur and the Glaives, Nyx's Nemesis skin, etc) are simply nods to the game, not ties to the game's lore. 

The devs have said that DS is about 40% canon, but I think that was The Second Dream, so that is probably even less now.

TL:DR Warframe will almost definitely never have a questline dedicated to the events of Dark Sector because they do not occur in the same universe.

Discussions of what's Cannon or not is always interesting but Cannon does not mean or guarantee set in stone... We know that by so many long- standing comic universes changing both subtly and greatly! Star Wars, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Spider-Man... This list could go on for a long time.

3 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Ancient Weapon said:

Discussions of what's Cannon or not is always interesting but Cannon does not mean or guarantee set in stone... We know that by so many long- standing comic universes changing both subtly and greatly! Star Wars, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash, Spider-Man... This list could go on for a long time.

Canon*

and most comics use some kind of deus ex machina to change the canon. Doesn't mean Warframe should do it to hamfist in the bad game that was Dark Sector.

Just now, (Xbox One)Ancient Weapon said:

Yes, but lore we've seen in Warframe has directly contradicted what was seen in Dark Sector. In Warframe the Warframes were created by the Orokin Empire, in Dark Sector Excalibur (or something similar looking anyway) was created by accident by a bio-weapon. And that's just the beginning. I could keep going.

Suffice to say, if they tweaked the lore of Dark Sector to fit into Warframe's existing story, it wouldn't still be Dark Sector. It would be Warframe: Origins. And I don't think that we need flashback quests in Warframe. I'd prefer we move the plot forward and explore the plot through new interactions than rehash old stories that happened long before the game starts.

6 minutes ago, NinthAria said:

This would be an interesting idea if it actually had a reason to exist. But it doesn't: Warframe and Dark Sector are canonically disconnected from each other. That's been the official word from DE for about as long as I can remember. All the subtle (or not-so-subtle) nods to Dark Sector are exactly that; nothing more.

Things change... We know that just because a thing has been said doesn't mean anything really. Companies, just like individuals continue to change as they grow. Ideas and dreams become things we chase after once again... that's life! Again this isn't about where things currently stand, it's simply an idea for DE to think on regarding possibilities, if there's some among them considering where they might want to take their world and story.

3 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

Canon*

and most comics use some kind of deus ex machina to change the canon. Doesn't mean Warframe should do it to hamfist in the bad game that was Dark Sector.

I appreciate the correction, actually my keyboard keeps auto-correcting what I type and I really wasn't paying attention to the fact that it'd been doing that to the word till you mentioned it.

13 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

Canon*

Also, I personally don't think of Dark Sector as a bad game.. In fact, it's the very reason I started playing Warframe... But again, in its earlier years, I once thought of Warframe as garbage. However, it changed and grew, ultimately becoming a game I did like.

No. Just no.

Dark Sector is it's own thing, just slightly related to Warframe's universe, and porting the entire game into Warframe (which is a bad idea in itself, for many reasons)  would only create even more confusion with the story, which people already have a problem following.

Wanna play DS? Cool, go do it separately.

We have a lot of more interesting and questions from the ACTUAL Warframe lore that remain unanswered.
I'd rather DE focus on that.

58 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Ancient Weapon said:

If Digital Extremes is even remotely considering re-releasing Dark Sector, or doing anything at all with it in the form of a sequel

I think it's pretty amazing I'm getting such rebuttal regarding an idea prefaced with "If Digital Extremes is even remotely considering...

4 minutes ago, Shifted said:

No. Just no.

Dark Sector is it's own thing, just slightly related to Warframe's universe, and porting the entire game into Warframe (which is a bad idea in itself, for many reasons)  would only create even more confusion with the story, which people already have a problem following.

Wanna play DS? Cool, go do it separately.

We have a lot of more interesting and questions from the ACTUAL Warframe lore that remain unanswered.
I'd rather DE focus on that.

What makes you think they can't use that to correct that problem? People have issues currently following the stories/Quests, as is, because they're often disjointed attempts to tell them...

11 minutes ago, (Xbox One)Ancient Weapon said:

I think it's pretty amazing I'm getting such rebuttal regarding an idea prefaced with "If Digital Extremes is even remotely considering...

Which, to anyone's knowledge, they're not; they barely have enough time to do what they want to do with Warframe--a game which, as has been pointed out, is basically everything they originally wanted to do with Dark Sector in the first place. They haven't announced or even hinted at so much as a possibility of a Dark Sector remake/rerelease. Also, you may have prefaced your initial post that way, but your thread title is a very clear "DE should do this and here's why." You can't have it both ways.

You're getting the responses you're getting because you're pitching a just-in-case idea hinging on the quantum possibility of DE doing something that they seem to have neither time nor interest for. That's a confusing logical leap to follow, to say the least.

20 minutes ago, NinthAria said:

Which, to anyone's knowledge, they're not; they barely have enough time to do what they want to do with Warframe--a game which, as has been pointed out, is basically everything they originally wanted to do with Dark Sector in the first place. They haven't announced or even hinted at so much as a possibility of a Dark Sector remake/rerelease. Also, you may have prefaced your initial post that way, but your thread title is a very clear "DE should do this and here's why." You can't have it both ways.

You're getting the responses you're getting because you're pitching a just-in-case idea hinging on the quantum possibility of DE doing something that they seem to have neither time nor interest for. That's a confusing logical leap to follow, to say the least.

I get your take on what I've said, but I'd have to say it may be that you're misconstruing it. The title is simply leading in to the preface... So this isn't a matter of having it both ways. It's a matter of suggesting a thing to the point of "If the thought has crossed minds within to deepen/tighten the threads". There's literally nothing to stop them from making this a thing IF "They" want to.

This obviously wouldn't be an instant thing, there's no way! So, as time goes by, they simply have an opportunity to do even greater things with their story telling and world. If they choose to do so, it could only help to present an even deeper cohesion to the true Tenno origin... Deepening Dark Sector's and Warframe's story is simply a matter of telling it more deeply... Plot advancement, that's all it is... Just because we've heard it told/played through it, doesn't mean it was even fully told then! So, there's obvious room to enhance or even alter the lure.

We're all along for the ride here, why fight a suggestion which could lead to long term growth? They obviously have writers at work now telling the Plains story, along with what ever else they haven't decided to reveal  a this point. So why fight? It's merely a suggestion regarding possibilities which rest solely on an "IF" factor. 'If they're doing anything with the thought of Dark Sector... if they aren't then they aren't...

7 minutes ago, Heckzu said:

Unless Digital Extremes holds 100% of the intellectual property rights for Dark Sectors, I'm sure it would be a violation of intellectual property rights for DE to officially tie Dark Sector into Warframe.

True, but really we don't know what they hold in that regard... and this is a thread discussing opportunity and possibilities... and things change

1 hour ago, peterc3 said:

Wat

Warframe is the game DE wanted to make instead of what Dark Sector was, but corporate meddling made it so much more generic.

Behold! The original idea for Dark Sector!

(Bonus points for every similarity you spot)

Edited by SarcasticShepard

1 hour ago, Imaru said:

This is incorrect as far as i'm concerned. DE has implied that the events are within the same universe, and that they are separated by a massive amount of time, to the point of Dark Sector playing no significant relevance to Warframe's plot and events.

56 minutes ago, Imaru said:

Yes, but lore we've seen in Warframe has directly contradicted what was seen in Dark Sector. In Warframe the Warframes were created by the Orokin Empire, in Dark Sector Excalibur (or something similar looking anyway) was created by accident by a bio-weapon. And that's just the beginning. I could keep going.

Suffice to say, if they tweaked the lore of Dark Sector to fit into Warframe's existing story, it wouldn't still be Dark Sector. It would be Warframe: Origins. And I don't think that we need flashback quests in Warframe. I'd prefer we move the plot forward and explore the plot through new interactions than rehash old stories that happened long before the game starts.

That is not a contradiction. For it to be a contradiction, Hayden's power armor suit would have to be confirmed to be an actual Warframe. We all know Warframes are infested-based golems, that are controlled via Transference, not literal suits. Nothing about how the suit was created was mentioned. Since its appearance didn't match the appearance of the infection, and that it was symmetrical before Hayden removed the right arm, it was probably engineered for a purpose and not an accident.

Just playing devil's advocate here.