The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Glassframe's name should be changed again, check this out DE.

Seratuhlis

well, I went for "Lehra", a feminized version of "lehr" which is a machine used in glassmaking. I'll admit I'm not the greatest at naming things.

that said, "Silica" and variations thereof had a massive following but DE probably felt it was too on-the-nose. Gara/Garasu isn't what I would have chosen, as the Japanese word for Glass seems a bit too obvious as well. it riled a few feathers in DC chat..

and no, she's not a Samurai frame, but there's always a chance that future Tennogen Skins or Deluxe Skins could give her a Samurai theme.

KjG3WT2.jpg

lol @everyone in this topic. You don't have to be a massive weeb to understand visual motifs based on ancient cultures. This is the original design, they switched her alt helmet to be her main, and yet its still samurai influenced. If you payed attention to history class, or at least googled Samurai, you'll notice that although it looks really weird, the helmet is based on a style of cavalry armour used by the samurai called "o-yoroi", and the flexible strands resembles the visual style of their layered armor and cloth.  As for Mesoamerican themes, it doesn't seem to feel like it, is it the use of green? is it because of its use of volcanic glass? Does its design invoke the feeling of a Mesoamerican warrior draped in feathers and leopard skins? Nah, it lacks the cultural themes of either the Aztec, Mayan, Olmec, or Nahuatl influence.

Also y'all ninjas need to calm down over this thread, jeez.

Just now, PrVonTuckIII said:

Why is this even an issue? As long as the Frame is effective and plays well, who cares what its called? If I can have fun with it, then it could be called Trump for all I care.

"Trump is downed!"

"Trump has died!"

"Trump has revived!"

I know the in-game text shows player names, but this is so funny😂

13 hours ago, peterc3 said:

Let's call the new frame that uses mirrors... Sand. That seems cool, right? There's way more sand on the planet than people, so that means it must be super popular.

uhm... where the hell did you get gara=sand from? its called gara because (as stated before) its a shortened version of garasu, which is glass in romanji (a form of japanese writing)

although gara on its own stands for something completely different than glass..... 

If I remember correctly, everyone hated Ivara's name because it wasn't some stupid normie name like "Artemis" or "Legolas" or something.

But then a couple months passed and everyone stopped caring because in the end, nobody actually gives a crap.

They could've named Nidus "Phorid's Scrotum" and I guarantee you guys that nobody would care in the end because he's such a good frame.

Edited by Tricky5hift

"Gla" is really a terrible name.

13 minutes ago, Tricky5hift said:

If I remember correctly, everyone hated Ivara's name because it wasn't some stupid normie name like "Artemis" or "Legolas" or something.

But then a couple months passed and everyone stopped caring because in the end, nobody actually gives a crap.

They could've named Nidus "Phorid's Scrotum" and I guarantee you guys that nobody would care in the end because he's such a good frame.

Ivara's name actually means something, it's literally warrior of the bow in Nordic; derived from Ivarr
Nidus also means something, it's latin and is basically the source place of an infection or bacteria, the place from which it spreads.

Gara is literally just…"Gla" lol. 

Kagami does not sound well

None of the names in warframe except maybe wukong sound that japanese, and i prefer them to not go in that direction.

Gara is not bad, but kagami imo is much worse, im with the guys that defend silica as her name, its hands down the best one

Imagine these situations:

I want kagami

Let's farm kagami

Im building kagami.

Doesnt sound well, kagami is not a good name for a warframe and names that sound that japaneselike are not good names for it. Wukong may be the exception since it doesnt sound that japanese and its a mythological creature.

Edited by mstriker

Just now, mstriker said:

Kagami does not sound well

None of the names in warframe except maybe wukong sound that japanese, and i prefer them to not go in that direction.

Gara is not bad, but kagami imo is much worse

Imagine these situations:

I want kagami

Let's farm kagami

Im building kagami.

Doesnt sound well

Wukong is Chinese mythology. More specifically Son Wukong, the Monkey King/Journey to the West (of which Dragon Ball was very loosely based on with Goku being Wukong).

Honestly Kagami is pretty terrible too though

1 minute ago, MintieFresh said:

Wukong is Chinese mythology. More specifically Son Wukong, the Monkey King/Journey to the West (of which Dragon Ball was very loosely based on with Goku being Wukong).

Honestly Kagami is pretty terrible too though

Well yeah i dont know that much about those things

1 hour ago, Seratuhlis said:

If you payed attention to history class, or at least googled Samurai, you'll notice that although it looks really weird, the helmet is based on a style of cavalry armour used by the samurai called "o-yoroi", and the flexible strands resembles the visual style of their layered armor and cloth.

As with many cultures, the design aesthetic of armor and weaponry varied a great deal. Even within the same era or time period, some types varied so much because artisans liked to showcase their own styles, especially in Japanese culture. You could find abstract examples anywhere on Google and make a case for her armor to be influenced from just about any culture.

Besides, DE have clearly stated that she is not Samurai themed. 

1 minute ago, mstriker said:

Well yeah i dont know that much about those things

Journey to the West is a Chinese classic, I recommend it! At the very least for educational purposes, great characters and there's a lot of media out there that take cues from it. Some cool characters to boot :)