Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tough love for Gara. (Please don't name her Gara)

Rhubarber

Would you name your kid 'musuko' because that's the word for son in Japanese? Are we really doing this? The glass warframe's name is Glass? It's like a bad tattoo: Tattooing 'water' on your arm in another language may be much better than leaving it in english, but you still know what you did. Gara is so on the nose, it IS the nose. You can't change it into a Japanese nose and think 'that'll do', IT'S STILL A NOSE!

We didn't call Atlas - Boulder.
We didn't call Hydroid - Squid.
We didn't call Banshee - Sound.
We didn't call Mesa - Pistol.
We didn't call Loki - Invisible.
We didn't call Limbo - Douchebag.
(Ember and Frost are still marginally better than 'Fire' or 'Ice' but this ain't about them.)

They have relevant names, but not named after their gimmick. Where does this inspiration come from? She has glass armor and glass powers so we will name her 'Glass In Japanese.'

For sure people are going to think Naruto, not glass. It's way too late for that distinction to be made.

"What should we name this warframe?"
"You know the show Naruto?"
"Yeah, of course. Everyone's at least heard of it."
"So you know Gara right? The sand guy?"
"Kinda."
"Good because we should name it Gara, but not like Gara. Because Gara is Gara and we want to make Gara separate from Gara to avoid any confusion or self-identity."
*googles Gara* "All I see is Gara."
*rolls eyes* "Type in 'Gara from Warframe.'"

In all seriousness, I would like to propose at least consideration for other names and since I am not one to bring up a problem without some solutions I made a small list of some concepts for her name: (I don't know if these were previously proposed, but I really hope we can at least think about this a little longer. Plains of Eidolon looks dope, and I want the Warframe to be able to keep up.)

Rondelle - Blown glass made flat when spun.

Silesia - The main ingredient used in art glass.

Parison - Refers to the first small bubble that comes from the blowpipe when blowing glass.

Alkali - one of the essential ingredients of glass, generally accounting for about 15-20 percent of the batch. The alkali is a flux, which reduces the melting point of the major constituent of glass, silica. (<-- Copy Pasted)

Cintra - A type of decorative glass.

EDIT: (Additional names as they come in.)

Acanthus - An ornament that resembles the leaves of an Acanthus.

Enoptra - A play on Enoptro: Divination or fortune telling with mirrors.

Edited by Rhubarber
Added Enoptra

Just now, KaizergidorahXi said:

"Hari" is japanese for Glass if I'm not mistaken. Gara came from "Garasu", a submission by someone on the forums. Wasn't even the Design Council's top choice, which was Silica.

Yeah I thought it was a joke too because I'm pretty sure they just threw "glass" into google translate because Garasu pops up for glass. I don't know a lick of Japanese but I know how to use google translate. Silica would be much better honestly. I'm not crazy about that name, but it's decent.

3 minutes ago, Nakrast said:

Gara is just fine, it sounds good and all.

Often times the first thing you hear appeals the most. But to me, it's so basic. It's just a bastardized japanese word. It doesn't do much for her concept and since we've come a long way from Ember and Frost I would hope we'd put a bit more effort in.

335455790_1931708.gif

2 minutes ago, Rhubarber said:

Yeah I thought it was a joke too because I'm pretty sure they just threw "glass" into google translate because Garasu pops up for glass. I don't know a lick of Japanese but I know how to use google translate. Silica would be much better honestly. I'm not crazy about that name, but it's decent.

DE solicited the DC to make a list of names. They said they were going to pick the ones they liked and decide internally which one to use. There was no indication they were looking at or cared about the popularity of the names. Silica is, to me, about as uncreative as people seem to think Gara is, so there's that.

Just now, peterc3 said:

DE solicited the DC to make a list of names. They said they were going to pick the ones they liked and decide internally which one to use. There was no indication they were looking at or cared about the popularity of the names. Silica is, to me, about as uncreative as people seem to think Gara is, so there's that.

Yeah which is why I'm making this appeal. I know who has the final say and I won't/can't really dispute that, but I can put this out there. They changed her default helmet and we got a little less than two weeks before release so nothing's set in stone right now. A change can (hopefully) be made. 

Just now, Neptlude said:

Problem is Rebb may already done the profile recording for Garapon, and they may already have some recordings for the quest already finished... Not to mention its the name already in ze dev build... `-`

I thought about this too, but you never know. I mean maybe the name isn't so heavily used, and maybe they haven't gotten that far yet. Who knows at this point, but it's not a reason to give up.

1 minute ago, Rhubarber said:

In my google adventure I discovered that the little glass jar used to hold salt and pepper are called: Cruets. 

so we gonna name her Cruets.... looking her abilities it like to contain enemies in them anyway... `-`

Just now, Rhubarber said:

Yeah which is why I'm making this appeal. I know who has the final say and I won't/can't really dispute that, but I can put this out there. They changed her default helmet and we got a little less than two weeks before release so nothing's set in stone right now. A change can (hopefully) be made. 

You have yet to actually explain why they should change the name. Your little skit in the OP was based on you misspelling a rather popular characters name from a Japanese manga and anime. Ignoring that Garasu is a valid word for glass in Japanese, DE gave 0 indication this would be up to a popularity contest.

So why do people think flooding the forums to whine about it will change their mind?

Just now, Nakrast said:

@Rhubarber it's just a name, i would rather have a plain name and a spicy gameplay, like be real, it's a damn name, who even seriusly cares about it at the end? 

Yeah, then you don't mind it being changed? I mean, I care obviously so why not try for a change? Spicy names for spicy warframes. Why not both?