Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tough love for Gara. (Please don't name her Gara)

Rhubarber

2 minutes ago, peterc3 said:

Ignoring that Garasu is a valid word for glass in Japanese, DE gave 0 indication this would be up to a popularity contest.

Isnt Gara in japanese clanging sound? `-` Garasu is a straight translation like Hotdog to Hotto Dogu...

3 minutes ago, Rhubarber said:

Yeah, then you don't mind it being changed? I mean, I care obviously so why not try for a change? Spicy names for spicy warframes. Why not both?

I couldn't care less about her name, i honestly just like Gara, if it will be changed then i will be ok with it, but at the end of the day, the gameplay makes the frame, not the name.
The thing i mind, is the idiotic spam by the community, that constatly tries to find something that DE did ''wrong'' and then complain about it for weeks.

Edited by Nakrast

Anyway a meaning of a word can change easily, we could let Gara be define as a warframe, than letting it associate in different languages. =w= Devs can pull out the Orokin word for glass is gara or something... `-`

I'll still call her Garapon lol pon makes it cute.... 

You have yet to actually explain why they should change the name. Your little skit in the OP was based on you misspelling a rather popular characters name from a Japanese manga and anime. Ignoring that Garasu is a valid word for glass in Japanese, DE gave 0 indication this would be up to a popularity contest.

So why do people think flooding the forums to whine about it will change their mind?

Well obviously this makes a difference or it doesn't. Worst case scenario is that they name her Gara, which while a bummer I'm not disillusioned to the fact that they get to decide ultimately what stays or goes. There is something to be said, however, about a game that is historically built with a great amount of community participation. I'm a part of that community and I want to participate.

The skit was just for entertainment and to help convey a point without being boring. Basically the name feels lazy that doesn't lend much to the warframe concept and powers. Gara says little about her even as flavor. Mesa gives you a western flavor, Loki could be called mischievious with his movesets, Mirage helps build her theme with clone images and light manipulation. Gara falls flat because the background of the word itself has no basis in our vocabulary. Gara doesn't give a samurai flavor, or lend itself to her concept. Gara hangs off on its own and doesn't put any picture or setting in your mind like Atlas, Rhino or Nova. It's bland. 

Just now, Rhubarber said:

Well obviously this makes a difference or it doesn't. Worst case scenario is that they name her Gara, which while a bummer I'm not disillusioned to the fact that they get to decide ultimately what stays or goes. There is something to be said, however, about a game that is historically built with a great amount of community participation. I'm a part of that community and I want to participate.

The skit was just for entertainment and to help convey a point without being boring. Basically the name feels lazy that doesn't lend much to the warframe concept and powers. Gara says little about her even as flavor. Mesa gives you a western flavor, Loki could be called mischievious with his movesets, Mirage helps build her theme with clone images and light manipulation. Gara falls flat because the background of the word itself has no basis in our vocabulary. Gara doesn't give a samurai flavor, or lend itself to her concept. Gara hangs off on its own and doesn't put any picture or setting in your mind like Atlas, Rhino or Nova. It's bland. 

Inaros screams... sand and mummies? Let's drop the pretense that the names of frames instantly tell you about their abilities. They are creative fluff to differentiate a list of them.

Gara is not a samurai. Never was, routinely DE says it isn't. So maybe your issue is that your info is wrong. She is based on Aztec warrior imagery.

33 minutes ago, Rhubarber said:

We didn't call Limbo - Douchebag.

Hmm, I sense something here, need a hug?

EC49mD6.gif

On a serious note, I am not a fan of Gara either, and I imagine that it maybe too late to make a change, however who knows? If the devs receive enough commentary on the name from multiple sources, twitter and so on, just maybe? I mean I've read that the quest is gonna be delayed from PoE launching, so its coming at some point after we first get our hands on PoE.

7 minutes ago, Nakrast said:

I couldn't care less about her name, i honestly just like Gara, if it will be changed then i will be ok with it, but at the end of the day, the gameplay makes the frame, not the name.
The thing i mind, is the idiotic spam by the community, that constatly tries to find something that DE did ''wrong'' and then complain about it for weeks.

I agree, the most important thing is her gameplay there's no denying that. But until she's in our hands, I can't help but look at her from a thematic perspective. The name either helps or hurts the theme and it can't be in between. If it does nothing for it, then it's hurting it

I'm not saying it's wrong, because I get the idea. I'm just saying it could be better. It doesn't hurt to raise the issue for consideration.

Inaros screams... sand and mummies? Let's drop the pretense that the names of frames instantly tell you about their abilities. They are creative fluff to differentiate a list of them.

Gara is not a samurai. Never was, routinely DE says it isn't. So maybe your issue is that your info is wrong. She is based on Aztec warrior imagery.

Inaros sounds like the name of an Egyptian god to me. I think it works very well. Creative fluff sure but you can't make it sound like they toss darts at a board. The names differentiate them on a list, but they also need a good silhouette and themes to make them memorable. Gara doesn't add much to her concept, it doesn't sound like anything that you could associate with her. Gara doesn't even sound Aztec... well to be fair. I wouldn't know what would sound Aztec.

That's fine, but I don't think it's weird that people might have thought of a samurai.

DAyP1a8XsAAg4kL.jpg

I would to remind you all of other frames name's based of what they do

Mag = Magnetism
Volt = Electricity
Ember = Fire
Frost = Cold
Loki = A trickster
Mesa = Landscape connected with westerns
Limbo = A possible description of a 2nd plane of existence
Zephyer = A breeze
Atlas = A type of documentation of the earth
Excalibur = A sword
Banshee = A wailing Ghost
Chroma = Purity of Colour
Equinox = a time where both day and night are equal
Hydroid = Similar to the word Hydro which means water
Mirage = A optical illusion (aka a trick of the eyes)
Nekros = Necro, meaning death or a corpse
Octavia = Octave, a musical note
Saryn = Sarin, a very strong Chemical Weapon (aka poison)
Titania = the queen of the fairies from a midsummer night's dream

Gara isn't the first Warframe who's name is based off their theme and won't be the last
people are only fussing cause of it's connection with Naruto

9 minutes ago, SPARTAN-187.Thanatos said:

Hmm, I sense something here, need a hug?

EC49mD6.gif

On a serious note, I am not a fan of Gara either, and I imagine that it maybe too late to make a change, however who knows? If the devs receive enough commentary on the name from multiple sources, twitter and so on, just maybe? I mean I've read that the quest is gonna be delayed from PoE launching, so its coming at some point after we first get our hands on PoE.

Haha yeah that was a sucker punch for Limbo denying my bullets from my enemies! >:(

Yeah that's basically where I am with this. It can't hurt, so I'll give it a try.

5 minutes ago, Dabluechimp said:

Mag = Magnetism
Volt = Electricity
Ember = Fire
Frost = Cold
Loki = A trickster
Zephyer = A breeze
Excalibur = A sword

Gara isn't the first Warframe who's name is based off their theme and won't be the last

but her was taken from a romanji version glass = Garasu, shorten into gara which now means clanging sound...

Garasu is a straight translation like Hotdog to Hotto Dogu...

Side note I kinda want to hear glass claning sound when Garapon moves around =w=

Edited by Neptlude

8 minutes ago, Dabluechimp said:

Mag = Magnetism
Volt = Electricity
Ember = Fire
Frost = Cold
Loki = A trickster
Zephyer = A breeze
Excalibur = A sword

Right, their names are based on what they do, not literally what they do. Someone took glass, translated it to Japanese: Garasu. And then DE chopped off the last two letters. Gara. They didn't name Volt - Electr or Mirage - Optica. Or Bashee... Screa? you get the point.

Gara just isn't there yet. It doesn't hint at her moves or concept. Sure if you dig for the origins of the name as it was presented in the design council then you see glass is glassish, and sure why not? Equinox shows you their scheme, Nekros is forward with the concept. Gara holds it back because you can't make inferences on Gara.

EDIT: Also the association with anime Gara is a big deal. You don't want names of your characters to makes people think of other well established franchises. Not when you put this much effort into it. I wouldn't.

Edited by Rhubarber

6 minutes ago, ShikaRoddy said:

Well, the guy from Naruto is called Gaara, not Gara. And then, Gara comes from Japanese pronounciation of the word Glass, which is Garasu, since they use syllables instead of single letters.

All in all, the whole thing sounds like one miscommunication after another. Saying it aloud sounds the same and either way it's so similar that this all sits in the brain much differently than is probably intended. Also google has been providing some dank blingee art to keep this discussion lighthearted. Gara-chan is so konichiwa-desu. I hope to visit Japan one day to walk among the original Onee-chans.

756695765_1569087.gif

36 minutes ago, KaizergidorahXi said:

[...] Wasn't even the Design Council's top choice, which was Silica.

Silica sounds more gracious and "crystaline" then Gara or Garasu. I feel bad just pronouncing that name they gave her. It sounds... awfull. It feels like "Gratler" and "Grakata", which are not really as "refined" as her. She needs something beautiful, not harsh. 

And who cares about that sand guy? If that's the reason people like her name, then they don't like the name, they just like that guy from the anime. That's not how you make yourself an opinion about how a frame is called and shouldn't be an argument at all, imho. (Feel free to throw rocks at me)

13 minutes ago, Neptlude said:

but her was taken from a romanji version glass = Garasu, shorten into gara which now means clanging sound...

Garasu is a straight translation like Hotdog to Hotto Dogu...

Side note I kinda want to hear glass claning sound when Garapon moves around =w=

Agh, that's a damn shame. I've been repeating Garasu to myself out loud and I can hear it. It makes it worse, haha