The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Since warframe is going open world, what if we add vehicles?

Alineah

Vehicles, that's exactly what I was dreaming of 

Imagine stealing a grineer ship and take your friends for a ride :D

But I guess they should wait to do bigger maps before going into even faster ways of transport

Or more players per squad, so the vehicles are more worth it

And, do you remember how we could control a jackal in dark sector?

Man, that was cool

Probably the most requested feature from dark sector to be implemented in warframe

Edited by lyry19

20 minutes ago, Culaio said:

Also I know that people will want to crucify me for mentioning this game but destiny 2 has other vehicles then  "jet-bike", only in specific missions but still(I never played any destiny game but saw video's from them)

It's a tank, it's only in 1 mission, and you cant even replay the mission at will: it's a random roll to replay it from a vendor screen. Hardly qualifies as having other vehicles in game.

And no one should crucify your for mentioning Destiny. The two get compared a lot (especially over at Bungie's forums) even though the games are more different than alike.

19 minutes ago, Sentinel-14 said:

It's a tank, it's only in 1 mission, and you cant even replay the mission at will: it's a random roll to replay it from a vendor screen. Hardly qualifies as having other vehicles in game.

And no one should crucify your for mentioning Destiny. The two get compared a lot (especially over at Bungie's forums) even though the games are more different than alike.

Still you experiance something different from standard gameplay, also you cant say more missions like that wont come in the future.

11 minutes ago, Darkfreed0m said:

Yeah...sure. Why not add Craftable Settlements, Zombies, Custom Warframe Models and Skill Classes?

Exactly...what next they will ask for, open world for warframe am I right.... oh wait :)

Edited by Culaio

11 minutes ago, Culaio said:

Still you experiance something different from standard gameplay, also you cant say more missions like that wont come in the future.

True, but I doubt it. Bungie's having a lot of PR problems with Destiny. Well, PR that they didn't pay for, anyway. Besides, tanks don't fit with their 'team-shooter' e-sport focus.

I think I'd rather see DE focus on fixing what we have and making it better before adding even more new stuff. The Archwings could use some work, and since they're already in the game they'd take less dev. resources than creating an entirely new vehicle mechanic.

And even with the Archwings, in PoE they play differently because you get the archwing and it's abilities, but you still use your regular guns instead of the arch guns. Kind of a hybrid play.

Edited by Sentinel-14

15 minutes ago, Sentinel-14 said:

True, but I think I'd rather see DE focus on fixing what we have and making it better before adding even more new stuff. The Archwings could use some work, and since they're already in the game they'd take less dev. resources than creating an entirely new vehicle mechanic.

And even with the Archwings, in PoE they play differently because you get the archwing and it's abilities, but you still use your regular guns instead of the arch guns. Kind of a hybrid play.

well the fact we wont be using archwing weapons already makes it different from normal archwing so this is not really expanding on archwing, whats more DE already increased their work by adapting normal weapons to archwing which I dont believe was easy seeing how many normal guns there is compared to amount of archwing weapons, which many different way of being held.

Either way with amount of systems DE is working on DE needs to increase amount of people working on warframe and I believe they are doing it slowly, I saw while ago someone on warframe reddit saying they want to work for DE and rebecca responded its possible and given him link to page where DE is hiring.

Edited by Culaio

29 minutes ago, Sarge_Tarmus said:

You know, I was thinking of something similar, but about "speeder-bikes". But then I realized, that with land vehicles, this game would be too similar to first Destiny.

PS: Who remembers travelling throught the Moon on speeder-bike?

Destiny isn't the only game that has land vehicles...

2 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

Considering how squishy the Archwings are in PoE, people really won't use them much.

I want non-archwing vehicles because I want more gameplay options. Just having one mode of transportation will get very boring. I want diverse gameplay that can continually feel fresh. You can't do that with only one means of traveling around. There's nothing ridiculous about having ground vehicles. They're a different means of transportation that wouldn't post the same risks that archwings would. They could be more durable because you wouldn't be able to fight with them, unlike the Archwings. And so, because they don't provide a greater combat advantage, they would fit as a choice: either go with your archwing, which offers a combat advantage in its flight ability and its powers but is squishy, or go with a ground vehicle, which offers no combat advantage but is much more durable.

These same people were probably criticizing the mere suggestion of adding an open world to Warframe. It's the way this community unfortunately works. If there's a feature that is in some other game and isn't in Warframe, a lot of people's first reaction is to criticize it and to say it's completely unnecessary and inappropriate for Warframe. They bashed players asking for open world for years. Now they're doing the same to people who want more vehicle options. In fact, any time someone suggests expanding the scope and scale of Warframe's gameplay, these people start bashing the idea, until DE themselves announce the addition of that suggested feature.

If you can't see the benefit and fun potential of having more than one type of vehicle in the game, then I suspect that you have never played an open world game with vehicles or multiple travel options. If you haven't played a game with multiple travel options, then you're in no position to say that archwing would be more fun or better than using "normal" vehicles.

theres no benefit in wasting resources on unnecessary unfitting mechanics; we have enough mobility options right now, we dont need more. The  warframes are the only terrestrial vehicles we need. I have played several open worlds with more than one travel option; and no, that fallacy of "you are in no position.." is not a valid argument. I have played several games with different travel options; and on most of those games (exceptions excluded like hollow knight for example where you use all of your travel options) you always end up using the same one, that happens to be the most useful one. 

Vehicles wont add anything substantial to the game; they would just roam around and thats all. The only vehicles that would be a good idea are the enemy vehicles against you and maybe you could even

Spoiler

use transference to go into them and turn them against their owners like the worms in TWW

that would be another optional use for the spoiler and would be a great idea imo. But being able to literally ride a vehicle while you are in your warframe? just imagining that i say no.

Edited by mstriker

19 minutes ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

Destiny isn't the only game that has land vehicles...

Destiny should sue every vehicle company and game with vehicles. We all know that the destiny devs were the first to create wagons and caravans.

14 minutes ago, mstriker said:

theres no benefit in wasting resources on unnecessary unfitting mechanics; we have enough mobility options right now, we dont need more. The  warframes are the only terrestrial vehicles we need. I have played several open worlds with more than one travel option; and no, that fallacy of "you are in no position.." is not a valid argument. I have played several games with different travel options; and on most of those games (exceptions excluded like hollow knight for example where you use all of your travel options) you always end up using the same one, that happens to be the most useful one. 

Vehicles wont add anything substantial to the game; they would just roam around and thats all. The only vehicles that would be a good idea are the enemy vehicles against you and maybe you could even

Reveal hidden contents

use transference to go into them and turn them against their owners like the worms in TWW

that would be another optional use for the spoiler and would be a great idea imo. But being able to literally ride a vehicle while you are in your warframe? just imagining that i say no.

I disagree, as someone who played action games that had multiple types of vehicles(both ground and air) I always use different types of vehicles depending on situation and how I want to play at the moment.

actually I am bored of walking everywhere, I did it EVERY day since I started playing game few years ago, I am currently unimpressed with content offered by plains(inclduing mobility options), if plains wont offer more diversity then I dont expect people having fun in plains for long time, currently it doesnt look its going to be worth the time DE spend on it(over half a year)

currently it looks like plains wont be any different then any system added to game: good idea but unfinished

Edited by Culaio

18 minutes ago, mstriker said:

Hide contents

First of all, Warframe's aren't vehicles. They're powered suits of armor. Second, if you only use one type of vehicle, then that's just a problem with your own personal choices. Multiple vehicles make gameplay more diverse, and that's what I want from Warframe: diverse gameplay options.

Other than hijacking enemy vehicles, possibly even as an infiltration mission type, I think having some kind of mount could be interesting. But only if there is mounted combat. I don't care if it's a giant kubrow or some cyber-mutant egg laying horse I want to be able to fight while I ride the damned thing. I always hated that in WoW, I have this big ol' horse/ram/raptor/tiger all armored up and the moment I swing my sword or cast a spell POOF it's gone. Or some kind of personal hover vehicle or motorbike or something.

Either way, I think it should be a personal vehicle. Tenno troop carriers don't really fit in my opinion. A squad of Tenno strike me as more of a wolf-pack than an armored turtle or battle wagon.

1 hour ago, (PS4)chibi_matatabi said:

why not just use zephyr, volt, maybe nezha? oh how about loki

oh wait, all of the above frames can navigate using either a speed booster in thier abilitys or in thier mods, how silly of me

Not the same as riding around in a vehicle. Odd that you think it would be the same. Oh, and I'm not sure how many times it needs to be said, but it's not about speed. That's not the only way to have fun. If the only thing that's fun is doing something the fastest and the strongest, then the actual gameplay really isn't fun, just going fast and being strong.

Maybe if they were a temporary mission thing, like being able to ride around in the Grineer mining vehicle for a short time for a quest.

Yet they'd never be added as anything more than that, there's just no need.

Though it would be fun riding our Kubrow or Kavat into battle as an Operator, as their own way of travelling fast if you prefer to stick as your Operator for awhile.

Edited by (XB1)Graysmog

No thanks. Archwing works just fine, and we really don't need more gimmicks. If you want to look at it from a lore-based perspective, then you still run into problems. We are assassins (not ninjas, despite what many say), not soldiers. We aren't made to pilot vehicles or drive tanks around. Such a thing goes against the very fundamentals of mobile, maneuverable gameplay that Warframe has. 

As such, I see no need for vehicles. Subjective desires aside, I personally don't think people will ever find a real use for them. This isn't Planetside 2, where vehicles are a necessary component of travel and combat. It's Warframe, where any movement and combat can be taken care of using the Warframes themselves, and if that's not sufficient, the Archwings.

Jump on the back of a grineer crab tank and shoot up the gunner, jump into the gunner seat and lob a few rounds at a incoming grineer shuttle as the driver is still stomping around and using different guns to shoot other players, then do some kind of sabotage hack that ejects me out as the tank crumples into a unusable heap.

Corpus hover buggy, you latch on and be taken for a random ride as the occupants try and shoot you. You shoot the driver and bail and watch it go out of control and crash into the ground sending the passengers ragdolling.

That's the kind of vehicle interaction I want.

10 hours ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

No thanks. Archwing works just fine, and we really don't need more gimmicks. If you want to look at it from a lore-based perspective, then you still run into problems. We are assassins (not ninjas, despite what many say), not soldiers. We aren't made to pilot vehicles or drive tanks around. Such a thing goes against the very fundamentals of mobile, maneuverable gameplay that Warframe has. 

As such, I see no need for vehicles. Subjective desires aside, I personally don't think people will ever find a real use for them. This isn't Planetside 2, where vehicles are a necessary component of travel and combat. It's Warframe, where any movement and combat can be taken care of using the Warframes themselves, and if that's not sufficient, the Archwings.

Its weird to see you say that it doesnt fit the lore saying plains are going to offer us option to fish or mine, so we arent meant to drive vehicles that offer us tactical advantage but we ARE fishers and miners ?

I also wouldnt call Tenno assassins in classical sense seeing how they eleminate everything in their way frequently using loudest weapons possible. Tenno had different schools  each with different ways to fight(lore-wise) like ZENURIK  being all about dominating enemy with strength or UNAIRU being all about enduring enemy attacks and  so on, so Tenno had many diverse ways to engage enemy, so it would make sense that some tenno would prefer not to use vehicles with others would use any advantage possible, it is matter of choice.

Edited by Culaio

8 hours ago, A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n said:

First of all, Warframe's aren't vehicles. They're powered suits of armor. Second, if you only use one type of vehicle, then that's just a problem with your own personal choices. Multiple vehicles make gameplay more diverse, and that's what I want from Warframe: diverse gameplay options.

Ok, but from the enemy perspective. As someone said before seeing a excalibur in a buggie is cringeworthy.

They can have vehicles, we can "steal them" by using the powers given to us in TWW and would be lore friendly and a cool idea.

21 minutes ago, mstriker said:

Ok, but from the enemy perspective. As someone said before seeing a excalibur in a buggie is cringeworthy.

They can have vehicles, we can "steal them" by using the powers given to us in TWW and would be lore friendly and a cool idea.

It doesn't have to be a buggy. That isn't the only kind of land vehicle. Having some kind of hover bike speeder or something wouldn't break lore at all, nor would it be weird or cringeworthy. Also, it is not, in any way, lore-friendly for us to be using Transference on Grineer vehicles. If you think that's lore-friendly, then you don't know the lore. That kind of thing works on Orokin tech, not on Grineer or Corpus tech.

What I'd like to see is 1) a Tenno hover bike thing as a ground complement to the archwing (and it would be more durable than the archwing, slower yes, but also not as prone to Grineer attack since it's not as high-profile a target as someone up in the air). 2) The ability to hijack Grineer vehicles like Dargyns and Ogmas (these would offer some combat capabilities, of course). That wouldn't be cringeworthy. And it wouldn't go against lore.

Also, as Culaio said, how can anyone say land vehicles are unfriendly to lore and are cringeworthy, yet say nothing about fishing and mining and plant-scanning?

Finally, to address one point I overlooked:

8 hours ago, mstriker said:

Vehicles wont add anything substantial to the game; they would just roam around and thats all.

This is where I know you cannot have actually played an open world game before; maybe you've played MMOs, but not an open world action game/shooter (and even if you have, you certainly cannot be a fan of open world games). There's one thing you should learn about open world games:

In an open world game, free roaming is gameplay.

Edited by A-p-o-l-l-y-o-n