Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's DE's take on Operator matchmaking lock

(PSN)Chel-El

I'm relatively new and just finished the second dream. It was glorious and matched the hype skillup the YouTuber said.

But I feel like (Spoilers!) people who haven't done this quest should not be matched with those who have unlocked it.

It has been a jarring in-game spoiler for me seeing a flying projection in extraction. I'm sure this topic came up so what's the Devs take on it? 

1 minute ago, maj.death said:

Cutting the community in half sounds like a great idea. /s

Don't be so dramatic, it's not like half the people playing haven't finished the second dream.

honestly, I'd be up for it, I actively avoid using focus if there is someone with a rank lower than 6 on the match, but not everyone cares, right now it's up for the goodwill of the player to not spoil it.

1 minute ago, Dwolfknight said:

Don't be so dramatic, it's not like half the people playing haven't finished the second dream.

honestly, I'd be up for it, I actively avoid using focus if there is someone with a rank lower than 6 on the match, but not everyone cares, right now it's up for the goodwill of the player to not spoil it.

I do my best to only let me inner child out when there are high MR players or others have been using them.  Otherwise, I find someplace to hide.

But, like I've said in the past, make it for public matching making only.

2 minutes ago, NightBlitz said:

honestly? im sure they could figure out a way to make it so that players that haven't done TSD cant even see operators when people use them, tho it might take a bit of work.

Yes! This retains players in one group while keeping the lore veiled

i like this idea

A bigger question would be, "Why would they even want to do this?"  Because a handful of people would rather not see spoilers?  So what?  By leaving it as is, newer players get to see the powers being used.  "What the heck was that?" to which the answer is "Something you can unlock if you keep playing."  Meanwhile, putting a lock on anyone who has an Operator would split the game, and depending on how exactly it is set up, prevent friends from playing together or even prevent people from helping new players.  Other than "because spoilers," it would be a lot of work to add with no real benefit to DE (as a business) or to most players.

And if they did do this... where does it end?  Should they also lock out every Warframe with a quest until someone has played through it?  I mean, seeing a Harrow could be a potential spoiler for that quest.  Same for Titania, Limbo, Octavia, Nidus, and the upcoming Gara.  The upcoming Plains of Eidolon are intended to be accessible pretty much as soon as you finish the tutorial.  Should they also lock out higher MR players from lower level ones?  Even if you don't have an Operator, you can be carrying all kinds of weapons and pets that some people won't have earned yet.  (Kubrows have a quest, therefore Kubrows could be a spoiler, too.)  Same with Archwings.

The problem is this game is like a mmo. Events come and then they go never to be played or seen again. But those events remain as history to the fabric of the universe. And like any typical mmo, the progression of time is rather linked to the location. Mars is split between grineer corpus from the Gradivus Dilemma. The various Alad events evolve as you go through the planets.

The time for operators to be a hush hush spoiler secret has long since passed, it was a moment is the games history. You cant keep sacrificing gameplay elements for a whole swath of intro planets that are meant to be played over and over forever. Trying to obscure these mechanics from newer players now just leads to more confusion and frustration as there is already this burden of catching up to 5 years of radically shifting development.

A lot of story quests should be treated more like a flashback and should be perhaps altered slightly.

Edited by Firetempest

4 hours ago, (PS4)Chel-El said:

I don't know 

the reviewer skillup puts SD in such a pedestal, he even said the community respects the event and does not spoil it for others 

When the new quests came out, the community was really big on not spoiling anything.  But, it's been awhile since those things came out and as such, they have passed the generally accepted time frame for "don't spoil this"

In any case, Operator Beam or Operator Mode by itself isn't much of a spoiler.  So another player can summon some kind of ghost... thing and fire a beam of something at enemies, or their warframe stops moving and a teenager (who gets knocked out and vanishes in basically one shot from anything) pops out.  And... that's it.  Someone *might* be spoiled on the fact that this is an "Operator," but unless you go out of your way to learn more than that, the game isn't going to tell you anything until you hit Second Dream.  (And I'd argue that the two bigger reveals in Second Dream aren't directly related to Operators anyway, and there's a third thing sort of hinted at that we haven't seen much else about in any of the other story quests yet.) 

Spoiler

The two big reveals being that Hunhow is now quite alive and apparently at least partly functional in his "Destroyer of Worlds" starship aspect, and the return of the Moon from where it was hidden in the void.  The other thing hinted at is when your Warframe seems to begin moving on its own, and shatters War (and disrupts Hunhow's link to the Stalker) without any input from your Operator.  Since, you know, your Operator was kind of busy being choked to death by Stalker at the time.

If the devs didn't want players to see Operators, they would have implemented something when Second Dream came out.  Honestly, I suspect they *want* lower level players to see Operators, as an incentive to push forward through the star chart and unlock it for themselves.  Although it would work a bit better for that if Operators weren't kind of complete "meh."  Maybe Plains of Eidolon will help with that.

Realistically though, in most public matches you're only going to see someone using the Operator ghost beam powers to activate the Focus passives (until PoE lands and those mostly go away.)  In normal missions, the only reason to hop out of your Warframe in Operator Mode is to mess around and show off, since the only thing they *need* to interact with is Kuva Guardians, which a low level player is never going to encounter unless someone deliberately taxies them to a Kuva mission.  (Assuming that's even possible, I've never tried it.)  I personally don't think someone running around in Operator mode until they get sniped by a random Grineer is any more spoiler-y than seeing Harrow, or Octavia, or Nidus.  It's something another player has that you don't, yet.  If someone digs farther than that... well, that's on them.

And other than derping around at Extraction in Operator mode, I don't think most random groups are likely to spoil any more than the game itself would, since at least via text chat, most pub groups I've ever been in rarely say more than "Hi!"  Unless someone decides that everyone else is a loser noob swear swear swear, then they tend to type a lot, for some reason.  Often *while* a passing Grineer sticks a bazooka in their ear.