Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This Is How We Treat The Stalker... [@de]

Phoenix86

It's not really about buffs and nerfs imo, as it doesn't really matter how powerful the Stalker is. The strongest reason why Stalker ceased being frightening is when the staff put LOOT on him :)

One of the basic laws of the Universe has been "subtlely" shown in the image as well.:

Tenno will expand and grow in strength and determination to encompass all LOOT.

Don't feel sorry for just the Stalker. That position could have taken by ANY one with LOOT...

the stalker should be a terrifying experience not a push over if a new player dies to him well ya hes scary, i mean as of right now its like beating on a $&*&*#(%& child getting stalkered here hide behind this box he cant get you, getting stalkered run into the air shaft and let him try to kill you because he cannot get to you, he needs to have his AI raised so you cant just lock him out of fighting you, and as a gamer if you quit after something that should kill you does kill you you prolly need a new hobby. i mean even if they just raised his damage again or made him into old stalker (minus the bladestorm your entire party is dead) , you would prolly still be able to just hide in an air shaft or behind some boxes and he wouldn't be an issue. I think with a better AI to get around random stuff and make him scale to the mastery of the person hes stalking your a high mastery hes old stalker and rapes face, your mastery like 2 or below hes not hard at all.

That isn't necessarily true smithf. The loot is a neat bonus but it doesn't really do anything in regards to the difficulty of the Miniboss. 

If anything it just makes encounters more desirable.

well if the stalker is supposed to be scary you should not want to run into him imo, hes basically a pinata beat him up and hopefully get candy that is not how someone who hunts tenno should be

That isn't necessarily true smithf. The loot is a neat bonus but it doesn't really do anything in regards to the difficulty of the Miniboss. 

but it is the turning point imo.

It used to be that players which are weaker were afraid of running into him. Even players which are strong enough to take him on will try to avoid him if possible.

Then he starts dropping BPs.

Next thing we know, the forum filled with "how to stalk the Stalker" posts... :) which is why I felt that it is not the buff/nerf that makes him "scary" or not. Even if he is buffed, people will just come up with better hunting "tricks" or start to do "stalker runs" as a team.

EDIT: don;t get me wrong though. I am NOT against him dropping BPs. I was just commenting on how Stalker ceased to be "scary".

Edited by smithf

It is in poor taste to allow a new player to come up against an enemy he just can't take on in a fair fight. That is poor gameplay design.

That is why I believe that instead of making Stalker stronger the game needs more types of events that happen in later missions that are all more difficult.

Imagine if there was a weaker version of the boss Phorid that could spawn in groups of 2 or 3 during a mission - you'd reach a locked doorway and Lotus would warn you that her Scans reveal something really big on the other side.

Things like this. Enemies that qualify as 'Mini-boss' status that can show up under a whole number of different conditions.

To be fair even in pen and paper rpg's or Larps. We tend to expect our characters to never loose or die.

Have the stalker be stronger but if your rank is 1-2... He beats you to an inch of your life. That seems like a good compromise to me. Have the new players know there is this entity out there that wants us to pay for our 'crimes'.

Is the stalker supposed to be a desirable loot chest that players grind bosses for in hopes of encountering him?

Is the stalker supposed to be a desirable loot chest that players grind bosses for in hopes of encountering him?

Nope. Just a random danger that can show up whenever the game feels like it and - if you get lucky - drops something when he dies.

He is hardly a loot chest, his drop rate is kinda low.

I'm not sure if this is new or old news, but when I met the Stalker today, he used his Despair. In all my previous encounters, he just used his Dread, Hate, and his powers. Nearly got my Banshee killed, although to be fair, it's not easy trying to keep the Infested and Grineer busy so that I can fight him without interference. Still was worth it in the end, since I got a Dread blueprint.

I think he isn't. But the actual situation is that he ends up being one.

And the low drop rate doesn't help, because it produces people who wants to "meet" him 100 times a day.

well bth i think as gamer's we've lost the willingness to loose even once in a while. I think occasionally a stalker showing up to slaughter a begginer seems fine to me. Its not like he shows up every other mission. And once the player is strong enough he can defeat the stalker.

I think part of the reason we don't like losing is because now there are counters to keep track of how much we lose. Back in the day playing Super Mario we didn't have a scoreboard saying "you lost 300 times and got to the end 1 time", but we loved the game because it was a challenge (but not an artificially inflated challenge, for example Diablo 3 release Inferno).

I never hated losing in Assassin's Creed because I was just messing around and trying cool S#&$ and running on rooftops killing dudes with hidden blades. I don't hate losing in this game either, but it is annoying that a) we have limited revives and b) we have a number saying how many times we lost.

Not really. If you make him too deadly it is very unfair to new players.

What really needs to happen is an expansion to the number of events like his.

It'd be awesome if there was a chance of having 2-4 Hyena Mech show up during a High Level Corpus mission, for instance. Just crazy things that can turn a cakewalk into a fight for your life.

I agree. This would be cool.

Even having multiple encounters with Stalker in one round would be great. Make him so he heals himself a couple of times after defeat then goes up in level each time.

To be honest that's exactly why i farm bosses for... i have all frames and dont really need anything.

I farm them in the hope to encounter the stalker later for his Despair.

What i wanted to say with that image is exactly what you all guys said -more or less- ...

The Stalker is not fearsome anymore, he's not him looking for us, it's us looking for him.

He needs to become fearsome again... 1 of the ways to achieve it it's to buff him for sure

(and scale it based on how many mod points we used on both weapons/frames, this way the AI can have a 'real' idea of how much strong we really are beside the level!!)

Obviously love the idea to have more assassins faction's based, maybe moving is squads, a few examples:

The Reapers (Corpus): 3 Hyenas

The Slayers (Infested): 3 Phorids

The Jaegers (Grineer): 3 Lech Kril / Kela De Thaym

To conclude:

Buff Stalker!

Edited by Phoenix86

Things like this. Enemies that qualify as 'Mini-boss' status that can show up under a whole number of different conditions.

I thought the same, this would be also something to stop "rushers", since they wanted to adress this.

Right now the game rewards outright rushing.

Just got dread, went to terminus without sentinel to try and stealth the whole mission for the lulz.

Got to the generator room undetected when stalker showed up.Epic battle ensues, dodging arrows, slash dashes, shooting each other in the head with a bow etc.

After three minutes of honourable and epic combat with bows and swords I remembered I have my potatoed crit build lex equipped.

Not really. If you make him too deadly it is very unfair to new players.

What really needs to happen is an expansion to the number of events like his.

It'd be awesome if there was a chance of having 2-4 Hyena Mech show up during a High Level Corpus mission, for instance. Just crazy things that can turn a cakewalk into a fight for your life.

unfair to new players? HE HAS THE STRONGEST WEAPONS IN THE GAME under clan weapons. He shouldn't have gear that is easy to obtain. He should be like the Skeith of .hack, show up and screw you over... Heck I would love it if he was an illusion of our mind and have it so suddenly the area environment is changed to a nightmare version of it during your fight with him, make him harder to beat, make him equally as intelligent as the final cephs of Crysis 2 the ones that took a lot of skill to take down due to their elite skill. Make as powerful as the Stalker from Dark Sector with the one hit dart kill. Make him turn invisible and stalk you like a predator and murder you just like Stalker did in Dark Sector.

Stalker should be more powerful then any boss in the game, more dangerous as well. He should be like SA-X of Metroid fusion to new players...