Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Unnecessary Censorship

bellejelle

I was renaming my clan hierarchies when I noticed something off-putting. Don't ask me why (you'll regret it), but I tried to name a rank 'Lesbian Youkai God' and I was unable to use that name. The game told me it was profanity. I find this a little ridiculous. Terms for sexuality are not profanity and there is no reason to censor them. DE I would really appreciate it if we could encourage a more accepting and kind community by not censoring things like this.

82AC9A83EB7F2AB78150F9D23FACFFF32A1A7500

Yet Catamite is an acceptable name for a rank in a clan. Yeah, I don't see anything wrong with it as these titles don't really appear anywhere but the clan board as far as I know, that and the esrb rating of M should make it a non-issue really.

By the way, I'm new to the forums so I don't really know how things work here. Is this a good way to get DE to acknowledge my concerns? I know they must have loads of things like this to sift through, but it shouldn't be difficult to fix this particular issue.

Seeing that you are new, let me tell you, you are in the wrong thread, while this is feedback this is particularly for the Plains of Eidolon update, you want to check here:

https://forums.warframe.com/forum/193-feedback-categories/

As for your problem, I think  dojos are probably inheriting chat rules, so while the word is not an insult it can be used in a context that could potentially offend people, so they have decided to forbid them completely.

Edited by Pavelord

7 hours ago, Pavelord said:

Seeing that you are new, let me tell you, you are in the wrong thread, while this is feedback this is particularly for the Plains of Eidolon update, you want to check here:

https://forums.warframe.com/forum/193-feedback-categories/

Ah, thanks. I found my way here through the support tab on the warframe website but I guess I wound up in the wrong section. I'll be more careful in the future. I guess I should see about getting this thread moved to the right place

7 hours ago, Pavelord said:

As for your problem, I think  dojos are probably inheriting chat rules, so while the word is not an insult it can be used in a context that could potentially offend people, so they have decided to forbid them completely.

I see your point. It has probably been a profanity filter in the system for a long time. Either way, I take issue with the idea that the word lesbian is offensive, as it is simply a part of my identity. I hope I can get DE to change this, it's kind of sad if they think they need to protect people from normal words used offensively. The offense comes from the context, not the word itself. If someone gets offended by the word lesbian I am sorry that's their problem. Just censoring it entirely feels like a lazy way to deal with the possibility someone gets offended. I can only wonder what else has been censored in this manner. Maybe this is a futile effort, maybe I'm being too hopeful that the world is becoming an accepting place.

I am new to the forums and I made the mistake of putting my original post in the PoE Feedback section https://forums.warframe.com/topic/863008-unnecessary-censorship/. So now I'm posting it again here, hopefully in the right place this time. Sorry for any confusion.

Anyway, I was renaming my clan hierarchies when I noticed something off-putting. I tried to name a rank using the word 'Lesbian' and I was unable to use that name. The game told me it was profanity. I find this a little ridiculous. Terms for sexuality are not profanity and there is no reason to censor them. DE I would really appreciate it if we could encourage a more accepting and kind community by not censoring things like this. Furthermore, the number one rule of the Warframe forums, Respect, specifically states that people should not discriminate against anyone for any reason, including sexual orientation. In the interest of maintaining your credibility, I hope you will not continue to censor this, DE.

82AC9A83EB7F2AB78150F9D23FACFFF32A1A7500

21 minutes ago, bellejelle said:

I tried to name a rank using the word 'Lesbian' and I was unable to use that name.

I have to ask: did you really think carefully about naming a rank with 'Lesbian' in it? I mean, does that mean only lesbians can get that rank or does that mean anyone who gets that rank is automatically assumed to be a lesbian?

Edited by NekroArts

Video game developers, their community guidelines, and their games will always be prudish regarding language and sexuality, even when it's not used offensively. This is the history of our gaming world. Violence, though, is our gaming world's bread and butter. Pour it on. The gorier the better.

None of us care what the other names their clan ranks or their loadouts, and I doubt DE truly does, either. @Pavelord's point about the chat filter seems like the most likely culprit, which makes things a bit stickier; how do they go about unbinding certain features from the chat filter? Are they ready to make time in their schedule to tackle that issue?

Creating two separate chat filters or databases and having clan and arsenals use one, while the chat uses the other can't be that hard, but they'd have to dedicate the resources and time.

Or they could just stop censoring the word "lesbian". I don't know when I've ever seen a gamer use that word as a slur, to be honest. They're more likely to use "gay" offensively, not that that is any better, but my point is if DE's aim is to crack down on offensive language, I don't know when I've ever seen anyone use the word in question offensively. Just saying.

9 hours ago, NekroArts said:

I have to ask: did you really think carefully about naming a rank with 'Lesbian' in it? I mean, does that mean only lesbians can get that rank or does that mean anyone who gets that rank is automatically assumed to be a lesbian?

Well, no I didn't think it through at all. I will admit I am rather impulsive at times like when I'm adding custom names for things. My clan is just a small clan with me and two other people, and I'm not planning to invite any more people, so it was more for fun than anything. Most of the ranks have no real significance.

8 hours ago, Rhekemi said:

Or they could just stop censoring the word "lesbian". I don't know when I've ever seen a gamer use that word as a slur, to be honest. They're more likely to use "gay" offensively, not that that is any better, but my point is if DE's aim is to crack down on offensive language, I don't know when I've ever seen anyone use the word in question offensively. Just saying.

I would be satisfied with this result. I'm glad other players seem to agree. I know DE is trying to be careful, but there's really no reason to censor it at all. There are slurs out there (with which I am painfully familiar) but "lesbian" in itself is not an offensive word.