Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Focus trees concept

Voldjaw

Hello Community,

With Devstream #100 announcing future changes to the Focus System, I'd like to bring in some ideas of my own.

Revamped Focus Tree:

In the current (and previous) System all Focus schools were separated, everyone had to choose which path has one to take. But after selecting a path the players have to live with the abilities gained from the chosen tree and can't use any other ability from the other trees and unusally there is a single tree which is "the best".

In my concept all Focus schools are now conncted to one main Focus tree, someone would now be able to work his way through all school and still gain the features of the nodes.

The Main Tree:

This Tree should feature some basic abilites, like energy regen, improved basic operator abilities. Maybe a increased basic Vacuum, that you actually have to earn.

lZJRLV3.jpg

Problem: The skill trees are too different on the path one can take. Vazarin has a branching path, letting you have a lot of choice on which node you want. Madurai has 2 paths only, and you have to take the path to get the node you want even if the items on the node may not be something you want or want active. Remember you can deactivate a node, and with a branching path like Vazarin you have a lot of flexibility, while with Madurai you have to turn the entire half of the path on to get the one or two things you want to have. The paths need to be equally as accessible to be viable.

1 hour ago, Aleksi134 said:

Considering we are getting a universal pool this would work just fine it would just require extra work. Though to add to this i would put the middle nodes to be only unlocked by having all 5 trees maxed out.

The purpose of that middle node is to NOT require other trees to be unlocked, for more basic abilities.

35 minutes ago, (PS4)NicolaiBM said:

Let's see if I got this right, you want all >>Focus<< schools at the same time? Aren't we spoiled already we can get 2 nodes active from each at all time?

I don't like that idea either.

But it would be fine if we could have limited amount of stuff we can active. Something like 250 capacity limit.  One ability right now can cost up to 17 capacity points.
So be able to have 2 maxed focus at the same time would be nice, to have Hybrid. Or have all 5 but only partially unlocked. 

a small part of me wants the tree to look like path of exile, lamo writings on the wall already "plains of eidolon" >POE< "path of exile" kappa

atm i would rather each tree had its uses and we could add them to load outs so i dont have to go to the back of the bus all the time.

Madurai  flat dmg and ammo regen? "good for guns"

Vazarin affinity range and insta rez, would be nice if more support powers were tied to affinity "support and healing"

Naramon the melee combo counter is really strong but affinity gain out side of farming focus is a joke "melee and ?"

Unairu just make it tanky that return dmg could be reflect dmg like messa 3 but not stacking "dmg reduction and armor stripping"

Zenurik its the caster tree all warframe are casters so its fine on every one just not grate on toggle powers but the other trees are kinda meh vs free energy at the moment "caster"

all the trees having a roll they fill well would be nice at the same power lvl that zen fills for casters

a 5th over-flow tree in the middle that all the way bounds go to would be the simplest way to do it stuff in the tree is always on for all trees or off if you wont.

i really hope the rework lets us set default and per loadout so i can have trin-vaz, ash-naramon without thinking about it after i set it the first time

7 hours ago, STORRM said:

a small part of me wants the tree to look like path of exile, lamo writings on the wall already "plains of eidolon" >POE< "path of exile" kappa

atm i would rather each tree had its uses and we could add them to load outs so i dont have to go to the back of the bus all the time.

Madurai  flat dmg and ammo regen? "good for guns"

Vazarin affinity range and insta rez, would be nice if more support powers were tied to affinity "support and healing"

Naramon the melee combo counter is really strong but affinity gain out side of farming focus is a joke "melee and ?"

Unairu just make it tanky that return dmg could be reflect dmg like messa 3 but not stacking "dmg reduction and armor stripping"

Zenurik its the caster tree all warframe are casters so its fine on every one just not grate on toggle powers but the other trees are kinda meh vs free energy at the moment "caster"

all the trees having a roll they fill well would be nice at the same power lvl that zen fills for casters

a 5th over-flow tree in the middle that all the way bounds go to would be the simplest way to do it stuff in the tree is always on for all trees or off if you wont.

i really hope the rework lets us set default and per loadout so i can have trin-vaz, ash-naramon without thinking about it after i set it the first time

You point out the uses of the focus schools, if a team plays smart, they'll realize there's a need for a support frame, it wouldn't make much sense to pick Naramon then. The tree as it is, it's fine and offers good items in each school, the "problem" is how the pool works and that's getting fixed in to a universal pool.

This is more of a grind reducing change and I for one can support that, it's enough grind for new players to max out a focus school. I think the focus schools are in a really good place, the problem as always is the community grown used to having passive Zenurik and is unable to let go of it and go make more efficiency oriented builds and accept there's more things in warframe now that revolves around team competition. Everyone wants to be the damage dealer of the team and believe they're better than the rest, that way these children can go to bed thinking they carried a bunch of scrubs, but if you look at any successful team throughout gaming rpg history, the great games all had a need for a healer/supporter and no child understands the importance of this role. A successful warframe team usually consists of a supporter (often trinity do we need more great supporters?), a buffer, a controller and a damage dealer, this competition is hard for a selfish player to understand and while that 1 person may go to bed feeling good about having most kills, they fail to understand, that they could have gotten more loot, gone further and had an easier time if their team competition was made up smarter.

On 6.11.2017 at 9:17 AM, (PS4)NicolaiBM said:

You point out the uses of the focus schools, if a team plays smart, they'll realize there's a need for a support frame, it wouldn't make much sense to pick Naramon then. The tree as it is, it's fine and offers good items in each school, the "problem" is how the pool works and that's getting fixed in to a universal pool.

This is more of a grind reducing change and I for one can support that, it's enough grind for new players to max out a focus school. I think the focus schools are in a really good place, the problem as always is the community grown used to having passive Zenurik and is unable to let go of it and go make more efficiency oriented builds and accept there's more things in warframe now that revolves around team competition. Everyone wants to be the damage dealer of the team and believe they're better than the rest, that way these children can go to bed thinking they carried a bunch of scrubs, but if you look at any successful team throughout gaming rpg history, the great games all had a need for a healer/supporter and no child understands the importance of this role. A successful warframe team usually consists of a supporter (often trinity do we need more great supporters?), a buffer, a controller and a damage dealer, this competition is hard for a selfish player to understand and while that 1 person may go to bed feeling good about having most kills, they fail to understand, that they could have gotten more loot, gone further and had an easier time if their team competition was made up smarter.

When matching in a PUG, obviously there wont be a team composition. Usually in arranged groups (especially for harder mission or eidolons) everyone fills a role, and with the exception of a few cases there wont be any issues.

On 7/11/2017 at 7:53 PM, VanilleOfDead said:

When matching in a PUG, obviously there wont be a team composition. Usually in arranged groups (especially for harder mission or eidolons) everyone fills a role, and with the exception of a few cases there wont be any issues.

And that's the downside of pug, but does that doesn't mean DE should make more mechanics to bypass the need or usage of energy siphon for example, which a focus tree offering better efficiency would synergize very well with.

On 5/11/2017 at 2:42 PM, NeithanDiniem said:

Problem: The skill trees are too different on the path one can take. Vazarin has a branching path, letting you have a lot of choice on which node you want. Madurai has 2 paths only, and you have to take the path to get the node you want even if the items on the node may not be something you want or want active. Remember you can deactivate a node, and with a branching path like Vazarin you have a lot of flexibility, while with Madurai you have to turn the entire half of the path on to get the one or two things you want to have. The paths need to be equally as accessible to be viable.

That picture is just a sample.

I really like how it looks.

On 5/11/2017 at 9:57 PM, STORRM said:

Yeah, Path of Exile tree is awesome. Has the little downside that you pretty much have to plan what the hell you wanna do before you even start leveling the character, but it's not that hard anyway because you only have to look at the Big bonuses and the Medium ones to figure out which path to take.

I would also like if they make it like the Artifact Power in WoW: Legion. All nodes being dirtcheap initially but as you unlock more nodes they grow in cost too.